Lingo Differnces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A raik aroon' a midden, a raik through the shops, a raik doon the burn.....a raik up the hill's hard work though.

My accent is 'polite' Lanarkshire, similar to Graham S who's from Lanark :) My sons and Graham sound incredibly alike on the phone. It's really just the older Lanarkshire accent I think, not the East Kilbride/New Towns and sprawling new housing schemes of the 60's and 70's.
My Grandparents came from West Lothian and Clackmannanshire though. When Granny flyted (that's speaking sharply, not moved house :) ) her accent came back and she sang/lilted :)

The mix of accents at a big Scottish meet is fun :D

The English ones wander along; all those marvellously stretched vowels :cool: and the Welsh ones I could listen to all day, especially the children.
Stuart's wife has a beautiful voice: it's African with beautiful crisp English diction.

There are as many variations in Ireland too though; some from around Portrush do sound very Scottish, but so does one from Waterford. I suppose ours seem familiar to the people there too.

Weans, bairns.....kids were baby goats when I was growing up.
Weans was from weaning, meaning that the children were no longer being fed by Mum or only at bedtime.
Bairn meant a pre pubertal child of either sex. Used to matter more because they were under the age of majority and were not legally bound in some matters.
The names are just used for children now.

M

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hey guys! I'm a regular on Bushcraft USA, but new to Bushcraft UK. I've always known of the lingo differences between my Brit brothers & sisters and us "Yanks", but never knew that there were such in way of bushcraft terms. For instance I recently read a thread where someone was talking about a "bimble" (I think that's right). I had no idea what that was; I had to look it up. :)

My question is, are there any other words that come to mind that y'all use (y'all being a Texan word I use all the time) compared to us "colonials"? I'd love to hear 'em.

"Cheers"
Richard

Snap and scran will be used for grub here, gear is tabbed in not humped, and a torch is a flashlight. Obvious but they stick out to me as being different. I'd never heard the term bushcraft until I moved to the UK, it was just camping in Canada...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm reminded of the experience of a colleague while in the States when chatting to a local in a bar.
"You have a weird accent- where you from?"
"England, I'm English."
"Where's England?"
"Why, Europe of course."
"Gee, you sure talk good English for a European!"

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Twenty odd years a go the good lady and I went to Florida on holiday, with the intention of driving around and camping where we could. Our stove was our trusty Trangia. Clearly we were unable to take any methylated spirit on the plane, but didn't anticpate the difficulty in finding fuel for the tranny while there. In an act of desperation I found an army surplus store which I thought might be worth a punt. In I went and stood behind someone being served, so I'm looking around at machine guns, pistols, disposable anti-tank rockets etc, and the sign that said 'If you can't see what you want please ask'. Guy in front leaves and the bloke behind the counter asks if he can help? Have you any meths, I ask. A serious tumbleweed moment passes and the bloke looks extremely uncomfortable, at which point I realise my mistake and pull the trangia burner from my pocket to clarify that I'm not looking for something involving crystals!

Al

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
At one time or another I've worked a lot in the USA so I have no trouble with the lingo over there any more, but half the time I still can't understand Mary (Toddy :)).

Elen Sentier

I am indeed hirpling, Toddy, with the help of a couple of sticks! Ta for the good wishes :). I’m looking forward to doing a little gentle stravaigin later on.

Now … I’m guessing the “loons” are not the aquatic birds, so what are they ??? Nor are the quines the computer programs that produce their own source-code as output but may likely be cwen or quean, meaning woman or wife or queen? Quean/quine was later used as another way of saying ***** but this is a misuse of the word.

Fesh? Fush? … Fish?

I love Pictish things and have to be dragged away from stones and places! There’s supposedly a strong link between the Pictish and the Brythonic from whom my folk come …

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Well i dont understand any of you, i call a walk a walk, i too had never heard of Bimble till coming on here,being married to a Scottish Lass and been together 17yrs i still here her come out with new words(to me) for things on a regular basis especially when on the phone to her mum when her slang speech goes up a notch or ten.
eg Tattie Scone =potato cake, messages = shopping,press (i think)=cupboard, bunker(again i think)=cupboard understairs,cushie doo = pidgeon(dont know if this is one shes made up herself) whisht=quiet or silence could go on and on,all very confusing for a former Lancashire lad.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Although not much to do with dialect perhaps, but more to do with accents. I found interesting while on holiday with some folks from uni the locals in oporto couldn't tell any of our accents apart, all they new was we were speaking English not he's English but sounds Geordie, or Brum etc. The same with the overseas students coming to our uni - they couldn't tell when words were pronounced differently.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Not sure if it's particular to Plymouth/Devon but "chatty" always meant dirty, turns out when I went uni nobody from other parts knew, e.g. my boots are chatty, I need to clean them.

My nan calls woodlice - granfergrigs.

My grandad, dad and aunties often call young girls "maid", e.g. poor maid fell over and grazed her knee.

Jasper = Wasp

:)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
In our house the bunker was the worktop as in "where's ma keys?" "On the bunker ya diddy!"

I lived in the west (quite near Toddy) and then moved to edinburgh where I was told I had a broad glasgow accent and lingo (I probably did) I stayed there for 3 years then moved back to the west where people told me I sounded like an east coaster although the people in the east still told me I was broad glasgow. I've been up near falkirk for 20 years now so goodness knows what I sound like now ken ;) My missus worked in Bannockburn for 10 years so she's worse (Cambuslang originally)

other good ones are;

baffies
guttys
a stank
swedgers (now corrupted)
a swadger (now corrupted)

EdS

Nar them lad, a bimble is what tha does when tha leaves thrope and trudges over yonder fell n dale looking fa goosegogs n other scran, even went its clarty unless tha 's nesh. ITs a grand way to get the bairns jiggered.

But don'ts tha forgot to shut yat after tha sen before tha gan yam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE