Lingo Differnces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was there (in England) I was also amazed at how many phrses were the same as I had grown up with in the American South but absent in the rest of the country. Such as my English GF calling the midday meal "dinner" or the use of "fix" to mean arrange; as is in the now discredited series Jim'll fix it.

Other terms that seemed to have similar roots but different words were:
American=In a coon's age
British=Donkey's years

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oi! :rolleyes: says a (what are you ? Geordie ?) living in Wales :D
What am I? - you tell me!
My mother was from Berwick on Tweed but her family from Innerleithen, my father was from Manchester of stock from Ireland (via Flintshire in the 1600s), I was born in Buckinghamshire (within sight of Windsor Castle) but brought up in Herefordshire and Belgium (in Belgium I went to an American School before the British School was started - I was the very first pupil enroled in the British School of Brussels...which had more nationalities attend it than the International School or the European School..)
I then lived out of a rucksack for a while before settling in West Wales
Never been a Geordie though... :)

Potton where I'm from has some interesting terms or so my dad tells me. Good old boy which is a conflict in terms.alonger which is along here stune which is stone.
And the classic phrase ride bare bummed to biggleswade on it which translates as this knife/axe/saw etc is very blunt.

One term that's always confused folk on Bushcraft USA when I Use it is my permission in reference to the copse I have access to camp in.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry John, you're a hybrid :D

EdS that makes perfect sense to me :)

Graffiti on a local bus stop (just round the corner from where they make Tunnock's caramel wafers and teacakes)
"Uddie polis are sweaty black army gutties! "

or the sign on the front of a local bus, without a word of a lie, complete with the correct punctuation, it said,
"Ah'm no' in service"

Like Chainsaw, what we call the bunker is the worktop beside the sink, but I know of folks who call the cupboard under the stairs the bunker because that's where the coal used to be kept. Those who kept it in specially built outdoors storage called them coal bunkers. Others call it the Dunny.....which went to Australia and became their loo :) Presumably some connection to dungeons.

Woodlice are slaters :) baffies are comfy slippers (from bauchle, old shoes) stanks often stink, and how did a word for a sweetie become corrupted :dunno:
Mary

Last edited:

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
one that threw me a bit recently here was the use of the word faggots wrt a food item made with pork liver - faggots over here are men known as benders in UK??? but in any case are not something cooked and served with gravy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
one that threw me a bit recently here was the use of the word faggots wrt a food item made with pork liver - faggots over here are men known as benders in UK??? but in any case are not something cooked and served with gravy

Wait til they start talking about Spotted Dick!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
American squash

Intro_Squash-winter-_photo_sized_dreamstime_m_6677218.jpg

British squash

Robinsons_Orange_Squash_3L.jpg&w=1000&h=1000&zc=1

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry John, you're a hybrid :D
Sounds better than "mongrel"...
"hobble" in English = "Hirple" in Scotland but in West Wales is a job done for cash in hand that the tax inspector never knows about....

Perhaps we multi linguists with walking impediments should all meet up at our great summer meet and form a band... "Moot the Hirple" .... :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Rik. Now you've got me trying to remember what you called what we call eggplant?

Edit to add: Now I remember. Aubergine.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
One of the most confusing can be liquid measures. It's pretty obvious when the reference is in metric. But with pints & gallons it's not as obvious that Imperial measures are larger than US ones. (at least the liquid measures)

But I suppose technically that's not a "language" difference.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
another one today - ramkins - apparently a type of a small dish or pot for food

I don't mind the words that I had not heard of before - its the ones that mean something completely different from one side of the pond to the other

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yorkshire puddings is one of my favourites. Think there called 'pop overs' in the US.

Although I suspect the names of foodstuffs varies more than anything else, even from county to county.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hey guys! I'm a regular on Bushcraft USA, but new to Bushcraft UK. I've always known of the lingo differences between my Brit brothers & sisters and us "Yanks", but never knew that there were such in way of bushcraft terms. For instance I recently read a thread where someone was talking about a "bimble" (I think that's right). I had no idea what that was; I had to look it up. :)

My question is, are there any other words that come to mind that y'all use (y'all being a Texan word I use all the time) compared to us "colonials"? I'd love to hear 'em.

"Cheers"
Richard

Hi

Heres one for you

If you read a post where someone says " I was sat round the campfire having a chat and smoking a fag " what it means is they where talking to somebody and smoking a cigarette next to the fire .
It does "NOT" mean they were shooting someone who likes to cross dress whilst talking to them next to the camp fire ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE