Lightweight Merino Baselayer - in olive green?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Does anyone know of a lightweight (150 g/m) merino baselayer that comes in olive green? Looking to replace my HH Lifa baselayer. Going to be used in high energy activities so I need it to be as thin as possible otherwise I'll over heat.

I understand Howies used to do one but have since changed their colours.

Any help much appreciated :) .

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Hi

I bought an Ulfrotté 200g/m crew next top in olive green merino wool from Survival School (www.survivalschool.co.uk). I also got a 400g/m full length zip top from them.

To complete the set I had to buy the 200g/m leggings from elsewhere.

I can't fault Survival School's customer service and would highly recommend them. As usual, I have no financial interest in Survival School or any other connection apart from being a very satisified customer.

IHTH

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Hi

I bought an Ulfrotté 200g/m crew next top in olive green merino wool from Survival School (www.survivalschool.co.uk). I also got a 400g/m full length zip top from them.

To complete the set I had to buy the 200g/m leggings from elsewhere.

I can't fault Survival School's customer service and would highly recommend them. As usual, I have no financial interest in Survival School or any other connection apart from being a very satisified customer.

IHTH

Cheers. I'd had a look at these, however, I think the 200g/m might be a bit thick. I suppose I'll have to get my hands on one and see what they are like. Not sure if there are any shops in Scotland that stock them though.

Have a look here:
http://www.thermallayer.co.uk/MensBaselayer.htm

I have never used this company, I was just having a look around for you..

Could I just ask, what exactly are you going to be doing?

should have explained a bit more. I'm in the TA so I'll be using it under my smock so baiscally a combination of lot's of standing around followed by bursts of high activity :D :rolleyes: and strenuous walking! I currently use a smelly helly lifa (effective but not very nice against the skin) but we've been advised to steer clear of synthetic baselayers as they are too much of a melt hazard (lessons learnt from the Falklands are being re-learnt the hard way from the sounds of things).

I've been eyeing the merino garments to use for general bushcraft/hillwalking for a while and thought if I'm going to splash out and get a couple I may as well get one that I can use for hill walking, bushcraft and also TA .... olive green covers all 3 bases ..... I suppose a dark brown will do to :D . Just no red, orange, blue, white, pink etc etc :cool: :D

I can't praise the Ulfrotté kit enough - they are fantastic.

I have 2 x 200g tops in green that I use as base layers. I had alway used HH Lifas until buying my frst 200g Ulfrotté and to be honest I'd much prefer the Ulfrotté to any other next to skin layer I've tried.

I also have a 400g and 600g Ulfrotté tops for layering - wonderfully warm!

Phil.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I can't praise the Ulfrotté kit enough - they are fantastic.

I have 2 x 200g tops in green that I use as base layers. I had alway used HH Lifas until buying my frst 200g Ulfrotté and to be honest I'd much prefer the Ulfrotté to any other next to skin layer I've tried.

I also have a 400g and 600g Ulfrotté tops for layering - wonderfully warm!

Phil.

Cheers, sounds ok. Do you use it during the summer? Do you they wick sweat effectively? Might try and get my hands on one.

P.S. Just discovered the Icebreaker Oasis 150g/m in olive green (although they don't advertise them on their website?!) so will hopefully be trying it on tomorrow. Still tempted by the Ulfrotte top though!

Cheers, sounds ok. Do you use it during the summer? Do you they wick sweat effectively? Might try and get my hands on one.

P.S. Just discovered the Icebreaker Oasis 150g/m in olive green (although they don't advertise them on their website?!) so will hopefully be trying it on tomorrow. Still tempted by the Ulfrotte top though!

I wore a 200g Ulfrotte on an expedition on Islay - wore the same one for 5 days over the period of the Summer Solstice. Wicked moisture far better than anything else I have used and being wool didn't smell. They are ideal for summer use IMHO and kept me cool in the heat and warm in the cooler evenings.

I think if you try one you will be very impressed and they are made to very high standards. the only draw back is they are "woven" into a terry style - so have loop stich on the inside - and they can be snagged if you are not careful. This doesn't bother me as I think kit look cool when it has be "used".

Phil.

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
Black should not be a problem as it will be under your smock,Ulfrotte is the way to go, ive tried allsorts and wished i had started with them.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk

Icebreaker are good gear! Much more hardwearing than Smartwool for example.
I'm surprised at some of the comments re: the Ulfrotte 200g. In conditions other than blimmin' cold I'd sweat to death with this one. Certainly a lot warmer than your Smelly Hansen.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I wear Icebreaker 200gms everyday. In the winter I wear two of them as I work in cold environments where I'm standing still for long times.

I always wear them in the field and they work really well- have gone 5 days continuous wear including nights and no smell at all. Top kit.. Keep you cool enough but warm when required.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
another vote for Icebreaker merino here.

the skin range works great as a baselayer, and i bought a few casual/baggy t-shirts for the summer this year. recommended!

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Ullfrotte 200gms here too. Wore mine constantly on a five day canoe trip in Algonquin park. Weather in the days ranged from 30Degs hot humid and sunny to thunderstorms and 6Degs.

It was even passed the sniff test in a shared car ride back to Toronto...

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE