Lightweight food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gray,

Have a look at these guys for some "off the wall" ideas

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fruishion?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Their dried range is the best I have encountered - including dried lemon juice and dried yoghurt.

Their dried yoghurt with some dried blueberry makes a great yoghurt snack.

The dried berries, with some crumble mix and instant custard powder makes the lightest, scrummiest blueberry crumble I have ever tried!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Jinsin, if you buy tomato cuppa soups and mix up two of them together they make a good tomato sauce substitute for lightweight camping pasta meals.

cheers,
M

Once saw a army chef use powder chicken soup for his sauce, worked well enough when i tried it with pasta noodles and smash. With rice it was a easier pouring into a bowl while adding chicken strips.

Corned beef plus smash with beans, adding curry powder to colour it up a bit.
Pre boil in the bag soldiers, had the golden tins to work on for their scran.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Because of a lack of choice/availability on a more remote European walking route I once ate mostly canned ravioli and canned sardines (cooked together) for about fives days back to back.

It was surprisingly tasty and filling, although maybe I was just hungry.

Not light to carry though.

:)

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I took a leaf out of someone else's book, measure out a portion size of pasta in a ziplock bag, add cuppa soup packet and stock cube. Suck all the air out and seal.
Boil the pasta with a little extra water then add cuppa soup and stock cube and add some chopped spicy sausage.
Just like pasta in sauce but cheaper.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you like yogurt this stuff is great, makes up in a vacuum style flask over night, just add water. Add to cereals, curried, marinate, eat as is. Cheaper that buying fresh yogurt. LINK

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I tend to take:

Powdered Mash
Sachets of drink flavouring
Flour
Homemade biltong (I've always wondered about re-hydrating it at camp but never got round to it)
Rice / Couscous
Porridge Oats
Some odds and ends to throw into a batch of damper bread (Olives, dried fruit etc)
Cookie / Buscuit mix (the just add water kind)

Another good thing that I've found are the Heinz soup sticks, so I've got a couple of them for my next trip.

heinz-soup-free-samples.jpg

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Couscous is as easy as a pot noodle - just hot water and couscous. Some salt and oil/butter/fat does not go amiss, nor anything else you might find to toss in the pot - mushrooms fresh ones you find or dehydrated which weigh nothing.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
If its just an overnight then a wide mouthed flask filled with stew or similar may mean that you can leave the stove or some pans behind.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE