Lightweight food from supermarkets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
something not mentioned yet, of late I have took to taking spaghetti as a change from noodles/mash etc, the quick cook variety (3-5 minutes) dried Italy spaghetti packets from Tesco, 59p for a 500g packet (they do a 500g packet for 20p which takes 9 minutes to cook), you can add loads of things to personal taste, I add some colemans cheddar cheese sauce and a bit of dried milk powder and you've got a type of pasta and sauce then throw in a bit of salami or small tin of tuna (I've stopped eating the batchelors pasta and sauce as the taste seems to have changed for the worse, prob just a personal thing), something I have seen in Tesco which I might try but haven't yet is small packets of cornmeal porridge in various flavours, never tried it before might give it a try.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I wanted to try making my own rat packs of dehydrated food for backpacking but don’t have a dehydrator... Hmmmmm?
How hard can it be? Some zip lock bags, Granulated chicken stock, Granulated vegetable stock, quick cook pasta & a few carefully chosen dehydrated ingredients from the net....

Dehydrated soy sauce who knew?

A one stop shop
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fruishion...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

My selection was...

SOY SAUCE POWDER, TOMATO POWDER 100%, WHITE ONION POWDER, CARROT POWDER, 100%, SWEET RED BELL PEPPER POWDER & to add texture, fibre & protein some SOYA MINCE & SOYA CHUNKS,

Put some quick cook pasta or spelt spaghetti in the mix & I'm sorted! So I now have all the raw ingredients to play with? I just need to mix & match... So what do you recon guys? Do I need to add anything?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
i dont mind your comments, like i said, its what i pack for 24hrs.........

Sorry for the misunderstand, I thought you meant packing for each 24 hour period!

If you are just outside for 24 hours, like I have been countless times, I find that a nice streak to grill on the fire is nice.
This is how I used to do:

Get a nice steak ( your favourite) a day or so before. Put it in the freezer. On the day of departure, take the frozen meat out, place in a strong Ziplock bag, then put a dash of oil, black pepper and whatever spices/herbs you like for marinating.

It will thaw out during the day and get nicely marinated. Wonderful to cook on an open fire!
In the beginning I did it with unfrozen meat, but a couple of times the meat went off if the day was hot.
As there are no problems with weight, I used to take a couple of beers too. Cans to save weight.
Woodfire grilled meat and a couple of beers while watching the stars = Heaven!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I bought them from a company that sold Landrover Defender parts and ex MOD stuff. In West Sussex but I do not remember the name.
MRE's are fairly heavy, I always preferred to carry dehydrated stuff.

LiveAndrew

Mar 17, 2016
Cornwall, UK
I tend to bring homemade food myself - beans, bacon, sausages precooked and mixed together then reheated is nice; chilli, curry etc.

I'd go with noodles, packet soup and whatever else you can fit in your pot. Try bringing a herb/spice mix to liven your food up. I make large batches of this at home:

6 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
6 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
6 tsp course ground black pepper
6 tsp paprika
6 tsp garlic salt
6 tsp oregano
3 tsp chilli powder

This makes enough to fill a medium "clip-fresh" container.

One thing I did used to do when a scout, was that every person brought a tin of something to camp and we mixed them all together in a billy for a surprise camp-stew. Worked well as long as everyone didn't bring a tin of potatoes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE