Lightweight food from supermarkets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
If you can be bothered, then you can make flatbread using just flour water, a tiny bit of oil and salt. forget all that bannock rubbish! a small bag of flour makes plenty rotis

And if you bring a pack of dried yeast along, you can make many different breads.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Just a thought ..... :rolleyes:

But if it's for just a weekend, is there anything wrong with opening the tins at home and transfering the contents into a Ziploc bag.:confused:

Not in the least bit sure i'd recommend this coarse of action for a week away.:yuck:

Even better if you have a vacum sealer. I got one from Lidl last year for a tenner and you can use any plastic bags you want. I look for microwave safe ones and just boil in the bag some tins that i've tranfered to them.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I look at the calorie content of food. I typically aim for about 500 calories per 100g when I average all my food to eat well and still be lightweight. Much higher than that, and you end up eating mostly fat and seeds which gets boring. This means I only need to take a kilo of food a day if I'm not working hard (5000 calories per day). In the winter, and doing heavy work like hauling a sled, I'd take more fats, and aim for about 10000 calories per day.

My stupidly high in the yummy stuff campsite treat, is re-hydrated potato powder with almonds and desiccated coconut added, then wrap chocolate bar in it and fry it until the chocolate melts.

Homemade honey roast pork belly is the just the best. It is about only the gormet thing my other half can cook.

I get most of my camp food from Lidl. I use dried wild mushrooms from my pack and foraged stuff to make the food taste less salty, and more fresh. Simple things like a couple of sliced roships can really freshen up a dish.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
On my shopping list for a few nights out are:

Mushroom and pepper rice
Salami
Chicken and mushroom pasta and sauce
Potato powder
Oxo cubes
Bannock mix - flour, milk powder, baking powder, raisins, coconut & brown sugar
Hot chocolate
cup-a-soups

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No need to eat sawdust, you are conducting energy sapping activities so need to balance your diet accordingly. Chorizo and salami are a great source of meat as they keep well and have a high fat content thus giving you lots of energy. Their flavour can really enhance a meal, the german stores are worth a poke around in as they have various different brands and types of sausage. A bulb of garlic can also help with flavourings, and it weighs little. You could carry the chopped and crushed version available in tubs if you wanted though! Rice or pasta are more my thing, bluger wheat or cous cous is certainly not my bag but try it if you think it will do you. All will lend a bit of bulk to your diet, give you fibre and carbs. Chocolate, kendal mint cake (If you can handle the sweetness!) and GORP are great trail foods, as is a pocket of beef jerky to nibble on as you go. Porridge oats are very important and should play a part in everyones' diet if they like it! A bowl of porridge in the morning will keep you feeling full till early afternoon and give you a slow release of energy so that you can continue throughout the morning without faltering.

Keep an eye out on your travels though, stocking up as you go can be as good as a way of getting a good feed. Try local farms for a few fresh eggs or some meat. Many farm shops are opening up as their were grants in place for the farmers to take advantage of, and the recent programmes by the celebrity chefs and their endorsements to buy british meats from local butchers has made farm shops very popular. My local farm shop sells meats and eggs from the farm plus local produce such as preserves and jams, honey, etc. Many of the things would be a great addition to a basic ration you carry in.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As one or two others have said - instant noodles are always a good choice.
The only real drawback with dehydrated food is that you have to, well, rehydrate it. Which means carrying more water. Which is heavy. But I suppose it depends on how you're travelling.
Bacon is another good option - flat as well, so doesn't take up space.

Liddles salami-the best £3 spent on meat you don't need to worry too much about after a few days outside a fridge.
Pitta bread will last a week as long as it's unopened in it's packet
Squeezy cheddar in a tube-fantastic stuff
Squeezy condensed milk in a tube-unopened tube lasts for as long as it says on the tube. Opened a day or two.
Sealed gnocci- lasts for a long time as long as it's the meat free one
vegi sausage mix-lasts foerever if kept dry.
Homemade pancake mix-makes savioury or sweet pancakes for main meals
Lentils-great if you are cooking on a fire
Broth mix-as above
Porridge oats, rough, makes simple oatcakes or add to broths to thicken
Miso-weighs nothing, tastes fantastic
Herbs/spices an absolute must-e.g. some cajun mix for fish you may catch, chillies for stews etc
The new instant cheese sauce in a tub, very cheap and can transform pasta meals or potato meals or soups and the like, weighs next to nothing, can even be used as a dip with chillies!

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
As one or two others have said - instant noodles are always a good choice.
The only real drawback with dehydrated food is that you have to, well, rehydrate it. Which means carrying more water. Which is heavy. But I suppose it depends on how you're travelling.
Bacon is another good option - flat as well, so doesn't take up space.

I thought the idea with dehydrated food was that you just use stream/river water to rehydrate it, so it saves weight? If you have to carry rehydrating water, why not just bring undehydrated food?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Powdered milk can be added/used - pancakes, creamy hot choclate, to pastas

Instant Mash (asda minute mash) -can be added/used - pancakes, bannock, pastas, rice, soups.

You can also make fried potatoes patties

Nick

Dry cured bacon. I haven't poisoned myself yet keeping it unrefrigerated for a long weekend. Dried onions, a garlic bulb or two, cup a soups, salami, smash, etc etc. If it's just a weekend I'm on, I'll get some stewing steak from the butcher, freeze it, wrap it some foil (which becomes a wind shield for the stove) and it will usually stay frozen or at least well chilled (depending on the season) until the second day. I will sometimes put all my fresh food in a small cool bag along with frozen meat which acts like an ice block. I've had food stay chilled all weekend that way.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>In the winter, and doing heavy work like hauling a sled, I'd take more fats, and aim for about 10000 calories per day.

I think Stroud and Fiennes calculated 8000 cal/day for their antartic trek.

10000 cal would be about 2 1/2 kilos of chocolate. or about half a pack of Walkers shortbread

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
>>In the winter, and doing heavy work like hauling a sled, I'd take more fats, and aim for about 10000 calories per day.

I think Stroud and Fiennes calculated 8000 cal/day for their antartic trek.

10000 cal would be about 2 1/2 kilos of chocolate. or about half a pack of Walkers shortbread

They lost weight on that trip though didn't they? And fiennes was about 50 at the time, calorie needs drop as you age. And in the end, they were picked up with frostbite and starving. They would have taken the absolute minimum, as they had a 90 day trek.

Plus, I'm a pretty tall guy, who is pretty fit, and young.

Micheal phelps, who doesn't even live in the cold, he just swims, eats 12000 calories per day.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dont get instant porridge all porridge is instant. Two teaspoons of milk powder sugar and nuts raisins etc add boiling water wait 5 mins done.
As for dehydrated food I once bought dehydrated water and wasn't sure what to add to it!
dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE