Vegetarian, gluten free freeze dried camping meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
I forgot all about this post, I'm still looking, as I still haven't found much that is gluten free, unless it's priced well out of my range.
I'm wondering if there are gluten free army rations, they seem to cater for vegetarian and halal, and there must be gluten intolerant soldiers, if so, where would I get them?
Not sure how GF they are but have you seen the Huel Hot and Savoury Range? https://huel.com/products/huel-hot-savoury I was looking at emergency or meal in a cup type rations for motorcycle touring/camping or for when you just CBA to cook and this seems the most reasonable. They fill you up for about 4 hours. The flavours I've tried are OK, in the typical packet food taste range for those recipes. The Korma is a bit "coronation chicken", the Thai Green Curry is a bit "cup a soup with extra grains", the Mexican chilli is kind of burrito like, you get the gist. I haven't tried many flavours in the range as they come in bags of 7 meals/bag. They work for me. I'm on my second order.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't have a particularly sweet tooth, so flapjacks are not a favorite, more a nothing else available sort of thing.
I do have a tooth for chocolate, but it can be a rather sickening experience eating it too much, so it's an " in moderation " thing.
I'm more after savoury stuff. I'd kill for a decent g/f sausage roll!!! :)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I don't have a particularly sweet tooth, so flapjacks are not a favorite, more a nothing else available sort of thing.
I do have a tooth for chocolate, but it can be a rather sickening experience eating it too much, so it's an " in moderation " thing.
I'm more after savoury stuff. I'd kill for a decent g/f sausage roll!!! :)
I have weaned myself off chocolate. When I do indulge I find it makes me feel quite queasy. I now try and eat fruit instead. Medjool dates I could demolish by the handful - just thinking about them makes me crave them.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm not overly keen on store-bought flapjacks either, although it does make for great hiking food. But homemade ones are nice, where you can adjust the sweetness etc.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I'm not overly keen on store-bought flapjacks either, although it does make for great hiking food. But homemade ones are nice, where you can adjust the sweetness etc.
I do a healthy recipe that uses fruit syrup and vegan flora. I like to make energy balls with fruit and nuts; the price of nuts has literally ‘gone’ nuts so I now use cheaper peanuts instead of tasty walnuts and the like.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have weaned myself off chocolate. When I do indulge I find it makes me feel quite queasy. I now try and eat fruit instead. Medjool dates I could demolish by the handful - just thinking about them makes me crave them.
Medjool dates are pricy, but absolutely delicious! Again sweet, but better than chocolate for a hiking snack. What I need are simple easy to prepare(ie just add hot water or heat up) meals when I'm out camping. Often I'm too tired at the end of the day to prepare fresh meals from scratch, and lugging and keeping it fresh is hard work! Not that I'm lazy, but I have some medical conditions that often make things hard for me, fibromyalgia being one, if I don't eat well, I get totaly exhausted, and become ill and a liability for others.
It's realy the major limiter on my adventures.
I'm lucky to have a gluten free celiac friend who loves to cook when we go out together, so i tend to let him, but he has a very limited repotoir. Pasta and veg in cheese sauce, pasta and veg in tomato sauce, and scrambled eggs on g/f toast. Tasty, but boring. I'm hopefuly going out for a week with him next month, weather permitting, and I'm dreading the culinary experience!
Ready meals would be a boon, if I could find them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Once again, corn flour is not corn starch and it is not corn meal. Corn flour contains corn starch. It's common in most fry batters since the starch doesn't wet as fast as wheat starch so the coating stays crispy for longer. This is easy to discover in batches of pancakes.

"Gluten" is a catch-all term to describe a wide class of plant proteins.
Not just one, many, with different amino acid sequences. They are not "wheat gluten."

Read McGee: On Food and Cooking.
Read Professional Cooking ( textbook) from Wayne Gisslen.
Read Professional Baking (textbook) from Wayne Gisslen.

The latter two are from core courses in Cordon Bleu culinary schools.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Doesn't that just make them plums?
They're just like homemade energy balls but with Christmassy spices. After combining two recipes for my first go, I now just rid the cupboard. I like them woth a coarser texture, which means that store bought finely chopped nuts work well and I don't have to get the food processor out as a knife does a better jobat kerping the texture right for me. Various chopped nuts, dates, dried figs, other dried fruits, some range juice if you have it and ground cloves, cinnamon etc.

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
My daughter (G-free+vegan) and I (eat anything) just made sausage rolls using "Jus-Roll" gluten-free puff pastry filled with a mixture of Linda McCartney sausages with gluten-free sage&onion stuffing. The pastry is good, filling good. Also used same pastry to make some small quiche's, again with the same sausages. Didn't last long.

Alex.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
They sound tasty,don't suppose you could give us the recipe please.
Basically it’s two parts fruit to one part nuts. I blend the ingredients in small batches because the fruit can get really sticky if you try annd do say an 100g of fruit in one go and then combine and blend together. Usually I use peanuts because they are cheaper but like walnuts for a nutter taste. Fruit wise I use dates for half the fruit and then either apricots and/or raisons for the rest. When the mixture is blended and mixed I roll the mixture out as a sausage and cut into segments and hand roll them. I often roll the balls in oats so they are less sticky. I try and go for balls that are 35-50g each.

Try 100g of peanuts to 100g of dates to 100g of apricots.
I have added vanilla essence and used 100g of cherries to make a cherry Bakewell flavour. Quite sweet but very nice.

Reactions: SaraR and billycoen

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Doesn't that just make them plums?
My two recipes that I often mix depending of what I have to hand. The aim is to get good consistency that is not too wet, not too dry.
First one is from a post on Ravelry and second one from The Spruce Eats:

3/4 cups (110g) whole almonds or pistachios
1/2 cup EACH of finely chopped dired figs (70g), dried dates (80g) and dried apricots (90g)
3 tbsp orange juice or orgage liqueur
2 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
a pinch of salt
1/3 cups (80g) sugar for rolling in (I skip this)

Pulse everything but the sugar in a food processor until the largest nut pieces are the sizes of pepper corns and it starts to stick together. (I just chop it all with a kitchen knife on a cutting board until it starts sticking). Form 4 cm diameter balls, roll in sugar and chill until firm.

1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped prunes
1/4 cup finely chopped skinless toasted hazelnuts
2 tbsp cherry preserves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar for rolling in (I skip this)

Pulse dates, walnuts, cranberries, prunes and hazelnuts a couple of times in a food processor. Add cherry preserve, cinnamon and cloves and pulse again until it starts to combine. Form 2.5 cm balls and roll in sugar. Store in fridge.

Reactions: billycoen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE