light weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
has any one out there read any of ray jardines books if not,if you can get hold of any i highly recomend them, for any one who is serious about light weight camping and hiking :You_Rock_

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I've got Beyond Backpacking.

An interesting read about ultra lightweight backpacking. Ray has lots of experience in this area but gets just a bit too extreme for me at some points. It's great to know what is possible though so that you can then make your own choices.

I particularly like the idea that if you carry less, you travel faster and further in a day. This means you take less time and so need less kit, which means you travel faster. You see where this is going...

If you take NO kit you should be able to travel anywhere instantaneously... :lmao:

Stu

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I have read Ray's book and use lots of his ideas. ie. I have made all my own gear, including a tarp, clothing, jardine style pack and quilt. The main difference is that I use a hammock, which Ray doesn't approve of ;)
His book is great. There's a wealth of information to be gained. Particularly from the Food chapter. However, his "I'm right and any other opinion is wrong" attutude does get annoyng. This is more evident on his website than in Beyond Backpacking however.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Is there something about the name Ray that's bushcrafty?

Or is it like the kung fu movies where everyone was called Bruce something after Mr. Lees fame (Bruce Li, Bruce Lo, Bruce Le?)

Are we going to see a lot of Ray Meers, Ray Mors, Roy Mears releasing survival books? :rolleyes:

Probably not

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
very true maybe we should all become rays lol .
his books are intresting but as you say it is hard core but the basis for light weight backpacking he depicts is a good place to start and to adapt to your own needs.

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
ok for the ultimate in light weight backpacking we weight for rays next book time portals and the instant way to get there.
but in the mean time a usefull tool to extend our own way of extending our own limits and boundries to what we actually need when out in the woods.
we all must be guilty of weighing our kit and reconsidering what is essential

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE