light is right

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
Here's a brief overview of the kit I'm taking with me on my trip this weekend,the main focus is on going as light as possible.
1 main knife and s.a.k.
2 tarp and sleeping bag
3 Fire kit
4 billy can
5 coverage
6 torch
Trail food and water and duct tape for everything else :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
If your SAK has a saw on it all sounds good to me, what about a foam roll mat for under your bag to insulate you from the ground? They only weigh about 1kilo

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Here's my kit for a day trip.

DSCF2576.jpg

The more kit you have the more comfortable you are !

There is room for all sorts of campers here, there is no right or wrong as long as you have fun!

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
Looks like a good set up mate and yes it's horses for courses,would probably take a bit more myself if I was not on foot.S.A.K. does have saw and that along with duct tape is my F.A.K and will make mattress or raised bed on the fly ,oh and a pocket of tissuse

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmmm I'm not sure of this whole duct tape for a fak business. I know Dc pushes this pretty hard but a whole roll of duct tape weighs way more than a well thought out modest first aid kit. I appreciate the duct tape has multiple uses but I tend to carry a few metres wrapped round a water bottle or lighter. Just my opinion of course but I think sterile plasters and dressings are well worth carrying.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I know others have already metioned about taking a small first aid kit. I'm going to add a +1 to it...........but something I've learnt and I strongly believe in is " carry a knife, carry a FAK", it's something I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
I agree light is right but with caveats. Lighter gear means less weight so you can travel further, but there is a trade off between comfort, durability and weight. It is all about understanding the limitations of your gear, the conditions you expect to encounter, what type of activity you are engaged in and so forth.

As a general rule if you can get the weight of the main items, shelter, sleep system, cook kit, down to a minimum then the rest follows. Its also worth thinking about multi use items, do you really need two knives, can you do with out spare small, would you bother with wash kit for a weekend and so on

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
Thanks for your comments and opinions,they're very welcome. I would however like to put across a few points that have brought me to this decision 1 Durring the eightys I was a member of the St John's Ambulance Brigade,most of the first aid manual if not all dealt with the use of the triangular for everything from a fractured femor to a dislocated jaw to foreign bodies in the hand.nothing that can't be done with duct tape. 2 In 30 years of being in the building trade I've never come across a plaster or a bandage more effective at staying in place or keeping out water and mud as good old duct tape.3 And as he has already sprung up in this post Dave Canterbury,"If it ain't multifunctional don't carry it"
Hope that sheds some light on my methodology even if it does seem like madness :lmao:

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Plasters dont last 2 minutes at work, I usually use electrical tape, I've used a cut up sanctuary pad before too.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Johnny R

Jun 28, 2015
chesterfield
Hi there, it's a site I use pretty regular. Following some hand rails on the way there and reverse on the way back,have an emergency base line too to get my back to my vehicle.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If your SAK has a saw on it all sounds good to me, what about a foam roll mat for under your bag to insulate you from the ground? They only weigh about 1kilo

A kilo? for a foam sleep matt? Where are you getting that from?

Multimat superlite 8 is 190g, but even one of the heavier matts is still under 500g.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE