Life & Grind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is life easier or harder now? Both at the same time!

Life harder example. I did a degree in an obscure field where there was limited application in the UK. No problem even 15 years before I graduated. I know because I met people with my first degree who graduated 15 and 25 years before me. Both had very good careers based on the degree. The 25 years older in the UK the 15 years older than me overseas. But said they graduated and their course mates could simply fly into South Africa, Zambia, Botswana with no job and they'd find people head hunting young graduates to help run mines and processing plants. One of the guys I knew ended up running a few mines in Zambia.

Other examples include my dad and uncle who both graduated when it was almost guaranteed a British graduate would get a good "graduate job". I've known many graduates of my generation and younger doing jobs that in older generations school leavers took up.

Life easier examples. Communication, finding information/ services, acceptance of the alternative, etc. You need to find something out the Internet can be at your fingertips to help you. You do need to be able to define your criteria and be critical with what you find or you'll get bad answers. That's not something that's a universal ability though. You'd think schools would teach it better by now and hope those long since left school can work that out themselves but perhaps I'm too optimistic.

I guess we can all find examples that are better or worse now so perhaps we can only say it's widely different not better or worse.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Harder, now. I am at an age where the goal posts keep moving, I don't live in a standard home, and really my wife and I have been camping out here for the last 10 years, with a young children.

5 years ago we were looking at 3 bed room houses, at 220k, now the same size house is just under 500k. I have a PhD in sciences, published author of policy, and have only recently got paid more than 30k per year.

It's difficult out there....

Reactions: Winnet and TeeDee

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Old chinese proverb...

stop looking at the houses you cannot afford. You're making yourself miserable.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: saxonaxe and TLM

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But my classmates have all got listed buildings.

Except one, who is between homes and is looking for an old Chapel.

My house is not up to spec.

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
Every chance they are up to their eyes in debt trying to maintain a lifestyle to keep up with other people.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
But my classmates have all got listed buildings.

Except one, who is between homes and is looking for an old Chapel.

My house is not up to spec.
While somewhere near where you live there's a guy sleeping rough in a useless old sleeping bag and begging for coins to feed himself. Get some perspective....

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Depressing when you get the email that you know was coming that reminds you that energy bills will increase by 50% in April. It’s a grind.
Got that letter today from our leccy provider. Our monthly payment is going up by 50% even though we’re using the same number of units as last year, give or take three or four kWh either way. In other news I see that German consumers are being let off their green levy for electricity….

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Only letter I got was saying how much money the electricity company was going to put into my account. Perks of solar panels installed when the deal was favourable. Didn't get much though because it was over winter. The one after summer does help a lot though. Especially if we're not using electricity from the grid for most of the day as well.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It would seem many people offer different insights to this question - Lots of positive insightful comments facing ones own perspective vs being grateful for what you actually do have or have the ability to seek - which is good.

Finding a personal philosophy of life to embrace everything and always find the positive is an enviable and healthy mindset.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
It would seem many people offer different insights to this question - Lots of positive insightful comments facing ones own perspective vs being grateful for what you actually do have or have the ability to seek - which is good.

Finding a personal philosophy of life to embrace everything and always find the positive is an enviable and healthy mindset.
To quote someone more eloquent than me, but who's words had a profound impact on my thought process....

'Mind control. When people think about mind control they think about controlling others, or other things. But mind control isn't that. Mind control is about controlling your own mind. Get control over your own mind and your emotions and life becomes simpler to deal with.

You have to control your mind, your have to assert it. You have to decide that you are gonna be in control, that you are going to do what you have to do.

Certain behaviours or emotions do not get a vote. Weakness doesn't get a vote. Laziness doesn't get a vote. Sadness doesn't get a vote. Frustration and negativity doesn't get a vote. Your temper doesn't get a vote.

So next time you want something, but you're feeling weak, or lazy, or sad, or frustrated or angry, tell yourself that those thoughts don't get a vote.

You want something? Find out what you want, plan how to get it, and GO GET IT.'

Mind Control.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE