Lidl "4 season" sleeping bag - worth a punt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
As of tomorrow, Lidl will be selling these sleeping bags:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-32D51493-300175A2/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_24055.htm

Anyone know anything about them? I think I read somewhere that they had been on sale before at Aldi or Lidl and wondered if any of the great and good on here purchased one.

I have a nice down bag but the missus feels the cold at anything under 10 degrees celsius. Quallofill insulation seems to be used on some good quality bags, but is it safe to assume that 1.6kg of that fill will be as warm in one bag as it is in another 1.6kg bag?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think I'll get one if I can find a Lidl near by. Was going to get a down bag but if this is carp then I can always cut it up as an underquilt :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Invista Quallofil is one of the cheapest insulations, its not the best but quite adequate if pack space isnt a prime concern. It wont last forever but will do the job.

The cut and fit of the bag and quality of zips are just as important as the type of fill. A broken zip at -10 is not good value. I'm going to check one out tomorrow to see how good they are, I think Toddy posted that they are quite good and well made for the price.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a very reasonable buy :D
The build quality on the one HWMBLT bought is better than my Nanok or Son2's North Face and the stuff sack is really sound.

Used on Arran last week and it was excellent said my husband; if anything a bit too warm.
Doesn't pack all that small though....most don't anyway.

No idea how it'll last, but we're pleased enough with it :)

Sorry not to be more help, but that's all I know of them.

cheers,
Toddy

I got one of these this morning, just had a kip in it over lunch time :D, it's great,very warm and comfy and it's not to tight for my wide frame :).
I was also lucky in getting the black and green one and not the luminous one in the pictures. Looks like I've finally found something to replace my dutch slug.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just bought one - got the grey one (there are little colour tabs sewn on the bottom of the compression sack) You can get them with a left or right zip. The zips are YKK so should be OK.

I'm 6'4" and with my feet down the bottom, the bag (not including the hood bit) comes up to my eyes - I'd say that's long enough

It's quite light & packs down a lot smaller than my old bag. Hope it's warm enough for the winter! I've read on other forums that it's a 3-season bag at best - I'll be using it inside a Hunka XL and doubt I'll be sleeping in temperatures that cold anyway.

One nice feature is an internal pocket for phone/wallet/torch etc. - that solves a problem I had in my hammock of where to put valuable/vital things

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I picked one up today too. I seemss reasonably well made, decent YKK zip that doesnt snag too much, Tactel liner ( a highly wicking fabric) and the compression sack is ok too. I reckon its pretty good for the price.

Definitley pushing it with a 4 season, I have warmer 3 season bags.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry to open an old thread but slept in this bag in my hammock this weekend. I was pretty cold so it's not really a 4-season bag. It's also annoying that the hood doesn't open wide enough to get into it without undoing the zip (I was using it in a bivi-bag). Honestly wish I'd bought a surplus bag now but at least it wasn't massively expensive

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE