'Legal' Bushcraft Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
In light of the recent clampdown on knives, I was wondering what is the best 'Legal' knife for use in bushcraft, not that i'm going to change from a sheath knife or anything.

From what i've read, a 'Legal' knife in the uk is one with a blade of 3" max that folds into it's own handle but does not lock when in the open position.

Can't say i've seen many people showing off their non-locking 3" folders on here, we all seem to be obsessed with size. :)

So what ya got, what d'it cost, and is it any good.

Cheers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You are right the only knife you can carry without a good reason i.e. "just on your way to the woods with all your bushy gear" is a sub 3 inch none locking folder or "slipjoint" i believe the slip joints under 3 inch are excluded in section 139 of the Criminal justice act.

I cant see anyone having an issue if they have a good reason for carrying a knife fixed or otherwise. Just be sure to have it well packed away that includes transporting it in a car.

I either carry a UKPK which was about 50 or 60 notes or a modded sak.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I have a modded Wood 80 from A.Wright and Son in Sheffield. They took out the lock, hand made the spring, carbon steel with an antler handle. A whisker under 3", carry it everywhere even got through security at St Pancras - not recommended. I love it and the handle size means that it punches above its weight in terms of use. I have split wood and cooked with it. A lovely bit of kit. If I knew how to post a piccy I would

steve

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Nice to see you posting Steve, must have been the effect of the weekend in Gelli. No doubt the builder of the remains in the woods is somewhere on the list.

I have a couple of ex British Army folding knives one from the 1950-s and one from the First World War. Both have marlin spikes, screwdrivers, and the former has a tin opener too. The former was a tenner and the latter given to me. I also have a stainless copy of an army pattern I've had for years. All are fairly sharp and work well. I don't mind belting the army knives if I need to and the marlin spike is handy sometimes. They have a few different versions in the militaria shop in Sarnau, Ceredigion if you're local.

Got one in my pocket most of the time.

Richard

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
In light of the recent clampdown on knives, I was wondering what is the best 'Legal' knife for use in bushcraft, not that i'm going to change from a sheath knife or anything.

From what i've read, a 'Legal' knife in the uk is one with a blade of 3" max that folds into it's own handle but does not lock when in the open position.

Can't say i've seen many people showing off their non-locking 3" folders on here, we all seem to be obsessed with size. :)

So what ya got, what d'it cost, and is it any good.

Cheers.

Pretty much anything is "legal" including your sheath knife, so long as you actually have a need for it when you are carrying it ...such as in the woods practicing bushcraft.

It only becomes illegal when you decide to go shopping in Tesco's without taking it off your belt.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Cheers for the replies so far.

Pretty much anything is "legal" including your sheath knife, so long as you actually have a need for it when you are carrying it ...such as in the woods practicing bushcraft.

It only becomes illegal when you decide to go shopping in Tesco's without taking it off your belt.

I did note yesterday, on a '.gov.uk' website (can't remember which), that the words "hobby or interest" had been dropped from the exeptions clause.

It used to say something along the lines of ...

"Carrying a knife to and from your work, or for your hobby or interest ....yada yada yada"

Haven't got the time to check it out today, but will find the propper wording and see if it's been changed.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A legal bushcraft knife is any knife (not auto or balisong etc) that you want to use in a bushcraft setting.

As long as the knife is secured in your pack on the way to your site you should have no problems.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
UKPK is what I carry all the time these days.

I see that there's two considerations, one is to use a knife appropriate for what you're doing and the other is to only do what's appropriate in the place you are.

If the woods are public and busy don't get a 10" knife out to whittle sticks, if the woods are private, no problem. I carve spoons and bits nearly anywhere, i use a small knife though and i only use it when i've got something to carve, if people can see the reason for what you're doing it makes things a lot easier.

Common sense prevails, well it should do :Thinkingo As has been said, it's not illegal at the moment to have a knife and to use a knife, it just depends on your reasons and your situation.

The best way to go is be law abiding and if you want to carry a knife make it a sub 3" folder, there's no issue there, although some police really don't know the law themselves and over-react to even that.

Grumpy Monkey

Mar 15, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Isn't a shame, but a sign of the times I suppose, when we have to worry about the size of the blades we carry?
Many years ago when I was a Scout (and before that as a Cub) I always had a sheath-knife on my belt and didn't have a problem at all, even when walking down a street. I even had a PC stop me once just to see if my knife was like his son's one!

I haven't got myself a bushcraft knife yet; impending wedding etc has put paid to buying anything at the moment.
However, on a daily basis I have a 1993 dated Army clasp knife on my jeans; my great grandfather's penknife in my suit and a modified Victorinox Huntsman in the car. There is also the sgian dubh and dirk but that is another matter.

I used to carry the Huntsman all the time but after a year or so wondered whether it was worth carrying around a load of implements I never used. So I swapped it with the clasp knife I used when I was in the Army Cadets as an Instructor and I'm more than happy. One main blade, just in the legal length, and a can opener....perfect!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I carry a 2.5'' slip joint 'smokers knife' with me everywhere with a couple of sensible exceptions.

For work I carry a 3.25'' locking folder with a rope-cutter blade. This is exactly what I need for my job and no copper would ever question it. It stays on me at all times while at work, as I can't afford to leave it in the tool bag and then be in the situation where I need it but can't get to it.

For 'bushcraft' I use a Frosts Mora/Clipper (I still don't know the difference :rolleyes: ) which has a 4.5'' fixed blade, and a Golok with a 11'' fixed blade. I have absolutely no worry that I will ever be stopped and arrested for carrying these, whatever the current political agenda.
I need these tools for my hobby. They are packed away in my pack along with all my other kit and they only come out when I am in the private woodland where I most often go camping.

When I'm in public woodland for the day I will take a SAK or modified opinel no6. I know the opinel technically is a lock knife but they are very 'people-friendly' knives and perfect for a stroll through the woods.

I never have any worries about the knife laws because I don't break the knife laws.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I did note yesterday, on a '.gov.uk' website (can't remember which), that the words "hobby or interest" had been dropped from the exeptions clause.

It used to say something along the lines of ...

"Carrying a knife to and from your work, or for your hobby or interest ....yada yada yada"

Haven't got the time to check it out today, but will find the propper wording and see if it's been changed.

They cant change the wording or legislation, can they?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I carry a 2.5'' slip joint 'smokers knife' with me everywhere with a couple of sensible exceptions.

For work I carry a 3.25'' locking folder with a rope-cutter blade. This is exactly what I need for my job and no copper would ever question it. It stays on me at all times while at work, as I can't afford to leave it in the tool bag and then be in the situation where I need it but can't get to it.

For 'bushcraft' I use a Frosts Mora/Clipper (I still don't know the difference :rolleyes: ) which has a 4.5'' fixed blade, and a Golok with a 11'' fixed blade. I have absolutely no worry that I will ever be stopped and arrested for carrying these, whatever the current political agenda.
I need these tools for my hobby. They are packed away in my pack along with all my other kit and they only come out when I am in the private woodland where I most often go camping.

When I'm in public woodland for the day I will take a SAK or modified opinel no6. I know the opinel technically is a lock knife but they are very 'people-friendly' knives and perfect for a stroll through the woods.

I never have any worries about the knife laws because I don't break the knife laws.[/QUOTE]

The way these beggars keep making up new laws you soon will without realising it.:p :D

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I never have any worries about the knife laws because I don't break the knife laws.

technically you just did, any blade which locks without good reason is an offence under the act.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm a retired cop.

Please believe me that the majority of officers have common sense and don't give a fig about what cutting tools a person will be using out in the field.

As long as it's not specifically prohibited then you will most likely need it for a multitude of tasks.

It's the 'ne'er do' wells that that they want to bring to book,not folk working or hobbying.

Plenty of them carry leatherman tools or lock knives themselves when working 'cos they know their values.

Maybe I'm biased in that I worked mainly in the Shire and it's small towns and only in the cities for big occasions,but I do believe that the people who frequent these forums have nothing to fear in carrying out their business.

Common sense and civility are the only things really you need to keep youself right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE