Leave your razor at home lads!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Yeah, but therein lies my problem. My Viking ancestry means that I can only grow a typically Scandanavian type beard. It's a puny thing compared to the full bush so proudly sported by the Celts and hill tribes of the Cymry.

Being a bad loser, just like Robert the Bruce I said, 'If at first you don't succeed - sod it!' So I picked up my razor and hid my shame. :)

Funnily enough, after that, I got the girl. ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Creams?
Razors?
OK for those fellas who want a face looking like a ladies face...
Full flowing beards are the way for REAL men who aint afraid to show they are MEN!
They also act as great food store for that intermeal snack, soup filters, owl nests and winter ice traps ....

Naah, I don't want the area round my mouth to look like Brian Mays bath plughole.

Biker

Beards?

Moustaches?

Why?

581463_401827969840268_146505212039213_1211989_742482622_n.jpg

Nope, not me, just a pic I found online.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Don't you clean shaven backwoodsmen shave with your expensive scandi-grind knives?

I did actually do this for a week many years ago under force of circumstances and found out why purpose made razors caught on. The reference to afro-american cream use was interesting. I stopped shaving when I lived in the tropics because it gave me barber's rash and the sweat played merry hell with it.

Biker

Finally got around to digging out my straight razor and my double edged vintage one.

The straight razor was one of two I bought for my 21st birthday, including the strop (I can't find the other at the moment). I used this a couple of times and found myself actually scared of shaving with it. I was 21 and rather fond of my skin back then. Doing my neck and cheeks was easy but it was around my mouth and chin that the strain became apparent. After I sliced into the ball of my chin under my bottom lip I gave up using it. The wound was a clean cut and healed in no time but it did put me off using it thereafter. Maybe I need a tutorial on the best method of using one? I sport a goatee now so shaving my neck and cheeks should be a doddle.

A couple of years ago after having shelled out on yet another extortionate price for a pack of Gillette Phaser, Quattro, turbo, Top Gun, whatever the hell they're called razors, I went on the hunt for an oldschool razor like I remember my Dad having. Finally picked one up for €1 at a bootfair here in France. It was rusted and battered but at that price I wasn't going to argue the toss. Bought it cleaned it up and invested all of €1.40 on a pack of ten blades. I like using it, granted you need to do it slower than the "face surform" but taking your time over something is worth doing. I also have to make sure I clean this beauty out afterwards. Once the turbo, quattro, phaser blades are used up I'm switching to the old school one permanantly.

Here's the picture of my little grooming kit. Placed on an A4 paper for scale. The old straight razor is made by Carl Schlieper who uses a "double eye" logo stamp, at least it looks like an eye with eyelashes over the top. This just happens to be the same as the logo for my favourite drawknife and wood cutting tool maker Goldenberg. I wonder if there's any connection?

Anyway Sasquatch, and others, I hope you find these razors of interest.

Razors.jpg

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Creams?
Razors?
OK for those fellas who want a face looking like a ladies face...
Full flowing beards are the way for REAL men who aint afraid to show they are MEN!
They also act as great food store for that intermeal snack, soup filters, owl nests and winter ice traps ....

Agree all teh way

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Finally got around to digging out my straight razor and my double edged vintage one.

The straight razor was one of two I bought for my 21st birthday, including the strop (I can't find the other at the moment). I used this a couple of times and found myself actually scared of shaving with it. I was 21 and rather fond of my skin back then. Doing my neck and cheeks was easy but it was around my mouth and chin that the strain became apparent. After I sliced into the ball of my chin under my bottom lip I gave up using it. The wound was a clean cut and healed in no time but it did put me off using it thereafter. Maybe I need a tutorial on the best method of using one? I sport a goatee now so shaving my neck and cheeks should be a doddle.

A couple of years ago after having shelled out on yet another extortionate price for a pack of Gillette Phaser, Quattro, turbo, Top Gun, whatever the hell they're called razors, I went on the hunt for an oldschool razor like I remember my Dad having. Finally picked one up for €1 at a bootfair here in France. It was rusted and battered but at that price I wasn't going to argue the toss. Bought it cleaned it up and invested all of €1.40 on a pack of ten blades. I like using it, granted you need to do it slower than the "face surform" but taking your time over something is worth doing. I also have to make sure I clean this beauty out afterwards. Once the turbo, quattro, phaser blades are used up I'm switching to the old school one permanantly.

Here's the picture of my little grooming kit. Placed on an A4 paper for scale. The old straight razor is made by Carl Schlieper who uses a "double eye" logo stamp, at least it looks like an eye with eyelashes over the top. This just happens to be the same as the logo for my favourite drawknife and wood cutting tool maker Goldenberg. I wonder if there's any connection?

Anyway Sasquatch, and others, I hope you find these razors of interest.

Razors.jpg

Nice one Aaron, thanks for sharing! There are no end of blades available for the Doule Edge you've got there, Feather are some of the scariest as they're so sharp. Some folks don't like them, others love them. It's worth trying a few and seeing what works for you.

As for your straight razor, it's a beaut! The pin in the middle for the tang to rest on is always a sign of a good German razor. The back pin looks like it needs a gentle tap or two to tighten the wedge at the back between the scales. The paddle strop you've got is identicle to one Woodspirit Steve gifted me a few weeks back. Great little strops, you've got the makings for a great shaving kit there! If you need the straight honed to get started pm me and I can sort that for you...

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
That's a nice straight razor there Biker.

I use one every now and then myself, an 1880s English straight razor. Took ages to get it shave ready, but it was worth the effort. Gives the best shave I've ever had.

My daily use razor is a 1927 Rolls Razor. It's basically a chunk of straight razor with a handle and a "safety" bar. The Rolls is an awesome piece of art deco engineering - the nickel plated case includes a hone and strop as well as a special mechanism to hone and strop the blade before use.

Rolls1-1.jpg

Biker

Hmmmmm now you two fellas are making me wonder if that straight razor, which I bought as is and tried to use, is actually blunt in comparison to how it could potentially be.

So what tips could i get form you about bringing this up to a decent working edge?

The strop I have as seen in that picture was old when I got it and I read somewhere that mineral oil on the strop would be a god thing to apply, maybe to soften the leather and make it actually hone the edge more effectively. The razor's sharp now, but I'm betting it could be a lot better. I read a tip that Mountainm had suggested which that he hones his knives using polishing clothe. So I bought some and tried it on my own knives and the result is nothing short of AMAZING!!! My HillBill knife which was sharp out of the packet now slices paper to ribbons like a razor. I'm wondering if the same thing could be used to sharpen up the edge of that straighty?

Wotcha fnk?

Interesting looking razor you have there Chutes, scary in a way too. I have to see one of those in action to figure out how it works. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback on the straight razor Chad, glad to read it's a god one. If I find that other razor of mine I'll post a picture of it as well. Nice tip about the loose end pin, I'll sort that out soon. I think that's the first time that's seen the light of day in years.

Just emailed my mother to find out if she still has my late father's old double edged razor and shaving kit. I think I'd like to try a proper shave with soap and brush to lather up with. Based on what you said Chad it's a sort of rite of passage every bloke should try.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
Hmmmmm now you two fellas are making me wonder if that straight razor, which I bought as is and tried to use, is actually blunt in comparison to how it could potentially be.

So what tips could i get form you about bringing this up to a decent working edge?

The strop I have as seen in that picture was old when I got it and I read somewhere that mineral oil on the strop would be a god thing to apply, maybe to soften the leather and make it actually hone the edge more effectively. The razor's sharp now, but I'm betting it could be a lot better. I read a tip that Mountainm had suggested which that he hones his knives using polishing clothe. So I bought some and tried it on my own knives and the result is nothing short of AMAZING!!! My HillBill knife which was sharp out of the packet now slices paper to ribbons like a razor. I'm wondering if the same thing could be used to sharpen up the edge of that straighty?

Wotcha fnk?

Interesting looking razor you have there Chutes, scary in a way too. I have to see one of those in action to figure out how it works. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback on the straight razor Chad, glad to read it's a god one. If I find that other razor of mine I'll post a picture of it as well. Nice tip about the loose end pin, I'll sort that out soon. I think that's the first time that's seen the light of day in years.

Just emailed my mother to find out if she still has my late father's old double edged razor and shaving kit. I think I'd like to try a proper shave with soap and brush to lather up with. Based on what you said Chad it's a sort of rite of passage every bloke should try.

Because yours is such a quality razor, I'd probably go to a wet shaving forum like Badger and Brush and get some expert advice on how best to get the edge up to scratch. A fine grit Japanese water stone and a strop will get it to where you need to be. There are a bunch of websites and books which will show you how to strop and hone. I learned from a book I bought off Amazon. Can't recall the title but it was something like the Art of Shaving Every Man Needs to Know - Very good explanation of honing with a stone along with accompanying diagrams. If you're not confident in honing the blade yourself, having an expert do it for you means you just have to maintain the edge rather than fully restore it yourself.

When it comes to conditioning the strop, mineral oil may work, I don't know. The leather strop panel in my Rolls was pretty dry and I restored it with garden variety moisturising cream I picked up in some hotel room somewhere. It's always worth using a bit of stropping paste too.

Biker

Thanks for the tip aboout hitting that forum you mentioned, Chutes. I'll check that out later.

I'm pretty confident about sharpening this razor, spent most of my adultlife sharpening things from chisels to knives etc so I'm not a total noob at it. What I don't want to do it knock the edge off this razor by going about it the wrong way by using something like that polishing cloth that wrecks it instead of enhancing it.

Just watching some youtube vids about shaving with a straight razor and there was no way I was ever that fast nor confident to go at it with such gusto. I think i had the holding techique down pretty good though. I must find my other razor as that was the one I preferred using over the one in the picture I posted.

Anyway thanks for the info matey, much appreicated.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice Rolls Chutes, that literally looks mint! They are a great piece of history that can still be found for next to nothing. I have one that still has the original reciept of sale from Harrods in 1937. Interesting indeed!

Are you on about using micro mesh Aaron? You could do that but setting a bevel is the main thing. Even new razors aren't shave ready, they need some love before you go to it. I tape the spine with electrical tape and set the bevel on a 1000 grit waterstone. You need to lap all your stones perfectly flat first as well, that's of utmost importance. The bevel setting is the most important stage of honing then it's on to a 3000 and a 6000 man made waterstone. That's followed by a natural finishing stone that's around 10 000 grit and stropped on a paddle strop with compound. Then to get it ready for a shave I give it about 50 licks on the hanging strop. You're then ready for one of the finest shaves of your life! Many ways to skin a cat and all that stuff, this is just my approach to honing.

Keep an eye out at those amazing car boot sales you frequent in France as some of the old french razors are great as well. Get yourself a brush and a stick of Palmolive or Erasmic for pence or better yet a puck of Tabac or similar. Any questions feel free to ask, straightrazorplace.com is another great forum with a wealth of info on everything sharp and dangerous. A proper wet shave with decent preparation and products really can't be beat if you enjoy the finer things in life. If you're anything like me you'll start looking forward to your next shave and plan what soap you'll use with a particular razor based on how warm or cold it is and all that fun stuff. Next level OCD in my case!

Thanks for sharing guys! Great stuff...

Biker

Well, I found my other straight razor today, had a vague recollection seeing it last time in my carving chisels box. Odd place for a straight razor to be, so I had a root in there and there it was. Now I have pout it safely away with the other one and the strop in my desk drawer.

So this afternoon after finishing work early and needing a shower as a result I thought I'd give myself a "proper shave" face was warm from the shower so I splashed on plenty more hot water from the sink and lathered up using Gilette gel for an aerosol can. Let that set for a minute or two then started in with the razor you see below. Staright away I could feel it tugging on the bristles instead of cutting them. I started on my right cheek and worked my way down and under my neck. I felt pretty confident using it but after starting on the left cheek figured I was risking doing something damaging so I quit. Dug out the Phasor face surform and lathered up again and finished off with that.

Yes I was referring to micromesh, those are just some of the sheets I have in the first picture. I haen't tried using it on the blade, but I was mighty tempted to have a go. But following our PM exchange Sasquatch I shall be sending you both razors in the post at some point for you to do your arcane magic on.

So here's that other razor I have, the blade's a lot smaller than the first one, must be about 15mm wide from spine to cutting edge, while theother one was nearer 25mm.

Sasquatch, any info you can shed on this blade and the other would be gratefully received. Thanks for looking pal.

Biker

Razor2-1.jpg

Razor2-2.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Aaron! I've never owned one but they're great shavers apparently. German made but yours is cool in the fact that the scales are more a French shape like Thiers Issard, perhaps aimed towards a French market? Here's the copy and paste research bit I did;

Trademarks "Kobar" and "Esposos" were used by Friedrich Emde.
His company was in business 1902-1939. Located Kanalstrasse 51, Solingen.

All the ones I've seen have nice scales and are generally aesthetically pleasing compared to average razors. It's hard to tell but that looks like an etch on the blade as opposed to a faded gold wash so that's good. It's got practically zero honewear so it hasn't been used much at all. Again, thanks for sharing, I'll go back and have a look at the other one when I get a minute.

Edit; I forgot the size, at 15mm that's small, at a guess I'd say it was a 5/8 or even a 4/8. That doesn't mean much, it tends to be a preferance thing. I've had 5/8 razors that are demons to shave with but also appreciate a big 7/8 beefy razor. Not sure how true this is but I've heard the 4/8 were usually for finer detail working around and shaping moustaches and beards.

Last edited:

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi

I have used a straight razor for about 8 years now, Salenger. it give a good shave and no need to trim the beard before a full sheer, just soap up and it will take any length of beard off.
I would not go back to the modern razor and I think I have saved a bob or two.

Reg
Rum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE