Leave your razor at home lads!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
More for the modern metrosexual male than more standard chaps.

Dunno, the type who wears chaps might have a use for the stuff...

Personally I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable double edged safety razor from 1966 to keep the chin looking neat as I can't stand having woolly features, I don't want to look like an 1970s Open University lecturer.
DSC00575.jpg

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Ooh, now thats a razor! I have a Merkur Futura myself. But that sure looks nice with exactly the same adjustable feature. These old school razors are FAR better then the modern toy multiblade gimmick excuses for razors.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dunno, the type who wears chaps might have a use for the stuff...

Personally I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable double edged safety razor from 1966 to keep the chin looking neat as I can't stand having woolly, I don't want to look like an 1970s Open University lecturer.

I've a similar as part of a 1950's travel set including brush, I'll take some pictures when I eventually return home. The only time I use it is when abroad on holiday, its a nice thing to use.

The Veet is no good for face hair it says, and other shall we say 'tough' bodily hair.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
More for the modern metrosexual male than more standard chaps.

Actually the hair removal creams (or powders) are popular among African Americans because shaving often gives them Pseudofoliculitis Barbae (the "bumps" or "barber's itch")

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ooh, now thats a razor! I have a Merkur Futura myself. But that sure looks nice with exactly the same adjustable feature. These old school razors are FAR better then the modern toy multiblade gimmick excuses for razors.....

I have seen those Merkur Futuras for sale and they look very nice, I kind of like the older stuff though and got the Gillette for crimbo of my lovely wife.
Its got to be said that I wouldn't complain of it were more aggressive though. I usually shave my chin with it on the 9 setting (the most aggressive setting) and the 5 setting does my head nicely.
Would be nice if the 9 setting was a bit more aggressive cos I also have another Gillette which is non adjustable but takes a fair bite. Its not one to use after a few days without a shave but its good each day.

I've a similar as part of a 1950's travel set including brush, I'll take some pictures when I eventually return home. The only time I use it is when abroad on holiday, its a nice thing to use.

That's kind of why I like mine, its just a nice piece to use and to be honest I find it a better shave than the twenty blade modern plasticky thing with lubristrip I now haven't used since crimbo. Not hard to get the hang of either, no significant cuts when starting out with it.

Seriously, modern razors are NOT better, not nicer to use than older ones. They just have more advertising.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had one of the adjustable types for a while. Now using a Gillette Mach 3 and/or an AAFES generic copy of it. The real Gillette is best but blades for the generic AAFES are much, much cheaper.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Ooh, razors! I'd love to see more of the old ones people on here actually use...
I use one of these...

http://www.boots.com/en/Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Razor_29697/?CAWELAID=334491085&cm_mmc=Shopping Engines-_-Google Base-_---_-Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor

Kept clean and dry the blades outlast the expensive over-advertised ones by a factor of at least 2 and cost approximately 1/5th the amount. The shave you get is exquisite too, although it will take longer than using a Gillette Multibladed 'face surform' (as someone on here or BB once put it) unless you want to wear small torn off pieces of toilet paper for a bit after shaving.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Thread's kinda wandered away from what I had in mind - but I love it.

Yeah, a good ol' double-sided razor, supplimented by proper shaving soap and a 'badger' can't be beat. Razor blades used to be cheap, now you pick them up in the supermarket and they come with multi-blades, lubricants, floating heads and wings (or is that something else?) plus a security tag. And why do wet razors need batteries? :confused:

No wonder we retreat to the woods. :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ya it's certainly drifted from red melted prunes but I love seeing what people use to shave with. Real steel all the way for me, I won't bore you all to death with my razor collection! I've been using straights for nearly 15 years now but I also enjoy DE razors and have a Rolls as well.

I realise a lot of bushcrafters sport facial hair but it just doesn't work for me as I love shaving too much. I used to hate it until I had an epiphony and realised I'd be doing it the rest of my life. Figured it was time to enjoy the manly tradition in style and I've never looked back. There seems to be a fair few oldschool shavers lurking on here, that's why I asked to see what people are using. A group would be great but I suppose there are dedicated forums for that. :jacked:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ya it's certainly drifted from red melted prunes but I love seeing what people use to shave with. Real steel all the way for me, I won't bore you all to death with my razor collection! I've been using straights for nearly 15 years now but I also enjoy DE razors and have a Rolls as well.

I realise a lot of bushcrafters sport facial hair but it just doesn't work for me as I love shaving too much. I used to hate it until I had an epiphony and realised I'd be doing it the rest of my life. Figured it was time to enjoy the manly tradition in style...

I wish I could do it in real old fashioed style; but it's gotten hard to find a barber that will give a shave at all now. Much less one with hot towels out of a steamer.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Put a damp towel in the microwave and throw on a splash of Pinaud Clubman after your shave, it's the next best thing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Creams?
Razors?
OK for those fellas who want a face looking like a ladies face...
Full flowing beards are the way for REAL men who aint afraid to show they are MEN!
They also act as great food store for that intermeal snack, soup filters, owl nests and winter ice traps ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE