Leather hat shrunk. Now what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Hi all

I have a lovely leather hat I bought last year and I left it in the car on the dash. It's dried up somewhat and has shrunk! Now it's too small to get on my head properly.

Is there anything I can do besides sell it or give it away? I'd hate to see it go but it's just too small now. :dunno:

Thanks for any advice.

P

Pcwizme

see if you can get some Mink oil, this may give it some life back. As it will replace some of the oils that have been lost.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Thank you all for the advice. I had thought of turning up a fake head and stretching it on, but the football idea sounds like a really simple idea. I'll try the wet-and-wear method first and prey it doesn't shrink so much that I can't get it off. I'll give these a go and post photos as usual. :D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
bhofmann, if you are out for a nice long walk and you begin to notice that you are getting a terrific migraine, and the pain is excruciating, it is probably not a brain tumor -- just that wet hat drying and shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking....

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Thank you all for the advice. I had thought of turning up a fake head and stretching it on, but the football idea sounds like a really simple idea. I'll try the wet-and-wear method first and prey it doesn't shrink so much that I can't get it off. I'll give these a go and post photos as usual. :D

Just make sure it's not a North American football, or you'll end up with a head shaped like this: :D

stewie.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE