Leather flask & Spirits

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
Hey guys,

I've made a leather flask for my brother's Christmas present that I intended he use for neat spirits. However I've read that spirits will dissolve beeswax.

What other waterproofer / resin can I use that will be suitable?
Also, how would the process be different to beeswax?

Thanks very much!
I'll post pics when it's complete.

Regards,
Will

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Are you reinventing a square wheel I wonder? I'd be surprised if spirit alcohol was ever stored directly in leather from a historical point of view - distillation is easily outdated by pottery or glass manufacture or metal technologies like pewter. More likely a 'leather spirits flask/bottle' was actually leather over glass/pottery/soldered copper.

There might be a modern material you could use - but I'd only be guessing or relying on a google safari which you've almost certainly already been on ;)

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
I received this reply about EnviroTex's suitability for the intended purpose:

"No, it sure isn’t. We have FDA approval for use on food prep surfaces only and not for what is deemed “extended food contact” in a mug or plate. So sorry but thanks a million for checking with us first! We aren't aware of a coating that you can use; please let us know if you find one!"

I think that's a pretty cool email, pitty it doesn't help me!

So, I'm still searching. If anyone has any more information I'd be very grateful.

Thanks anyway Leon.
I think I'll do an experiment of how long it takes spirits to dissolve beeswax...

leon-1

I received this reply about EnviroTex's suitability for the intended purpose:

"No, it sure isn’t. We have FDA approval for use on food prep surfaces only and not for what is deemed “extended food contact” in a mug or plate. So sorry but thanks a million for checking with us first! We aren't aware of a coating that you can use; please let us know if you find one!"

I think that's a pretty cool email, pitty it doesn't help me!

So, I'm still searching. If anyone has any more information I'd be very grateful.

Thanks anyway Leon.
I think I'll do an experiment of how long it takes spirits to dissolve beeswax...

We can but try mate, good luck with your search.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE