Leather 18th century hunting pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
img0561sb1.jpg

This is a project i start about 14yrs ago and did not finish it off. I wanted a Hawkens rifle to go with it but i had to give up my gun licence due to the family. Maybe its time to finish it off. Topknot.

That's a very nice piece of work, Topknot, and you never used it? Go for it mate, finish it, use it, enjoy it. How did you make the cross?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't believe there is any law against hunting with black powder in the UK. I suspect the law Snufkin refers to is the "deer legal" limit of 1743 ft lbs of muzzle energy and .240 or larger projectile. Now whilst black powder musket don't have a large velocity, they chuck a heck of a size ball. That said for hunting, I believe that a rifled round would develop more than enough energy in an appropriate calibre. Certainly I see no reason why black powder couldn't be used on other game - heck its okay to shoot rabbits with a 12ft lb air rifle and a black powder weapon will develop a lot more than that. Don't forget of course that there are black powder cartridges as well as front stuffers and a whole variety of locks (flint, percussion and match).

Now hitting a bird on the wing with a flintlock shotgun would be challenging due to "hang time". ;)

I haven't any pictures of playing with anything as nice as Mikes (although I was lucky enough to shoot a Baker rifle recently - that was fun :D)

These might fit nicely in the pouch though (at least the middle one)

442419077_aa9f3872d5.jpg

You gotta love making smoke;)

442419075_23a905ddcf.jpg

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Damn... I wish I had more pocket money. Love those.. I have no idea about the laws around these. Are they legal in the UK? I assume that you need to belong to a club. Also: are they expensive? :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes, yes and no :)

Yes they are all legal since they are all front stuffers (its only cartridge handguns that are a no no in Britain although they are okay in NI).

Club fees are £1 - £2 a week generally (£50 to £100 a year)

Black powder guns are generally mechanically simple and relatively cheap. You do need an explosives permit (since black powder is an explosive) or you can use modern smokeless in some or Pyrodex. Permits are straightforward and an experienced shooter can talk you through the procedure - realistically shooters hold tiny amounts anyway.

Shooting is a fairly cheap and very inclusive sport. I shoot with my girlfriend, two guys well past pension age, a physically handicapped guy, another who is deaf. We all compete on an equal footing since its all about skill not strength or stature. Reasonable modern rifles, black powder rifles or shotguns can be had for less than a single top of the range golf club. A guy I know picked up a lovely hammer action side by side shotgun for £50 a while back. A bit of work on the stock and a couple of springs and it was as good as new. The black powder pistols aren't mine - a chap I shoot with is trying to convert me :). Most shooters are delighted to let other shooters try their pride and joy. I was shooting a lovely mint K98 and Moison Nagent (German and Russian rifles) yesterday whilst the owner fired my Lee Enfield and Steyr. That's the joy of it - its a sport where most people are enthusiasts rather than competitors

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
To make that design on the pouch flap, you cut it out of the flap leather itself. Then you glue or stitch a piece of either leather or clothe to the back side of the flap. You then see the backing material through the parts you cut out in the flap. You just have to be carefull when laying out your design that you leave little connecting strips between different elements of your overal design - to help hold pieces in place that might "drop" out. It's a lot like making/using a stencil.

Gluing the backing piece in does work, but can loosen in time and use. So many of the designs are stitched all around the edges of the cut-out design. But that extra stitching also adds to the design - a lot like embrodery.

And the simpler designs tend to show up better. Like a heart or that cross with the extra rays.

I'll have to see if I have any pictures of my guns. I've had them for a number of years. But I also got some pretty good deals on them - way back in them dark ages. The one I got for $400 usd, the other two for $200 usd each. This was less than half of what they were worth and could have sold for at that time. And YES, at one time I did have my Hawkin Rifle - made by Old West with Sharon barrel in .54 caliber. It was a great gun and I passed it on to a friend when my historical time period changed. (And I've been trying to talk him out of it and get it back since.)

The NW Trade gun is .58 caliber, the Tulle is .62, and the Brow Bess is .75. I use them for hunting all the time - from squirrels/rabbits on up to deer. As with all hunting, you have to place your shots carefully - first to quickly kill your game, second to not destroy too much of the meat.

Occasionally I also take out the cap-n-ball revolvers - 1851 Navy, 1860 Navy, and 1861 Army. They are .36 caliber and .44 caliber. Pea shooters, but very effective on rabbits and squirrels - much like a modern .22 but with a little more lead. And they all could take deer sized game if necessary.

And then there are the cowboy/old west toys - the Henry, the '66 Yellowboy, the '92, and the 1874 Sharps Business rifle for buffalo hunting - plus assorted Peacemakers, gamblers hideouts, and soiled dove specials.

Oh, the ... toys ... we sometimes play with.

And YES, I am glad that I live where I can play with them. My apologies to those less forturnate!

Mikey - surrounded by several centuries of firearms history

p.s. NO, in all my years, I have never used them to commit any crime. I guess their "evil influence" just hasn't worn off on me yet.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Almost all of those are okay here too Mike - only the cartridge firing handguns would present an issue. All the black powders are fine and Henry, Winchester etc. are all shot in England (I prefer Marlins though - I have an 1894 in .357 mag). We have great shoots with Sharps, Rolling Blocks etc. Contrary to poular belief, shooting is alive and well in GB!

Red

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, no i have not used the pouch, this is how i left it a in a box. Thank you Mike for explaining how it is made. Topknot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE