Le Prevo.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
I thought I read an leather working article by him on the forum once.......maybe I am mistaken?

dont recall the user name sorry!

That was Jez. He signed up to answer some questions directly on the forum.

I've never used mail order but am close enough to be able to call in if I go to Newcastle. Personally I've never found them to be anything but courteous and very helpful. The website could do with a serious revamp though :)

Colin

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
ha ! try an online order then ! 'tis a disgrace really in this day and age, you'd think traders would try their best to hang on to customers.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ok here goes....this should settle any argument....these were the pics i sent 2 weeks ago!!! this hide cost me £115 and is meant to be top grade 3.5-4mm shoulder....

top is normal 3.5mm shoulder....bottom is the one le prevo sent me

here you can see 3 pieces measuring over 1.5cm

yes...unbelievable i know but all that came off just that strap

end of.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
bloody hell ! that's some cack you've taken off the back there !

not good at all.

truth be told if i got something like that i wouldn't know what to do with it !

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Also they charge you for postage BEFORE they add vat on. So you pay vat on postage too, which is bang out of order.

I've come across this before with other mail order outfits. Have a look here particularly clause 1.4.
Whatever faults Le Prevo may have, I don't think paying more VAT than they have to will be one of them

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The only times ( other than leprevo) that i've been charged VAT on postage is on international imports from the US, and then the VAT is charged by UK customs, not the by US postal side of it.

I still find it sneaky as the link you posted seems to read that if they used royal mail then there wouldn't be VAT charges on top.?

I still dont like the company.. :) Bad ordering stystem, having to pay over the phone, slow delivery. I only use them if i absolutely have to.

I've come across this before with other mail order outfits. Have a look here particularly clause 1.4.
Whatever faults Le Prevo may have, I don't think paying more VAT than they have to will be one of them

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I still find it sneaky as the link you posted seems to read that if they used royal mail then there wouldn't be VAT charges on top.?

I think the way it works is that the Post Office doesn't have to pay VAT on any products or services you buy from them, but as soon as you charge your customers for those products or services, you are liable for VAT on them.

I'm seeing a man who knows about these things on Friday; I'll ask him.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
But it is the customer whos buying the postage isn't it? Not leprevo.... if it was, we wouldn't have to pay postage. We paying for it must mean we are buying it?

Look forward to seeing what the guy has to say :)

Dreadhead

wow thats pretty shocking angst i would be livid! I don't think they realise their ordering system costs people a livelihood. to be honest i have had the same problem as you in that i have placed my order etc then had a phone call a week later to say my card was declined. when i finally got my bill it was because they had charged me for a hide that was 4-5 sq ft larger than i asked so cost me an extra 30 quid without once letting me know about it. bit sneaky really. I stick with them because i can usually find some great bargains in their special offers section, but now i rarely do so i tend to go elsewhere purely for the speed of delivery times as i never realise i have ran out of something until it's too late

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've used Le Prevo for a number of years and, as everybody else has said, their online ordering system is rubbish! I still use them as they have always treated me with courtesy and professionalism. When I've ordered stuff that's out of stock, I've received a phone call from them to tell me and then we've discussed alternatives, the end result is nearly always that I receive a better product than the one originally ordered at the same price!

I'll continue to use Le Prevo as I've learnt to work within their system and now order with plenty of time to spare, so that I don't get stuck without supplies, and always phone my card details through on receipt of the 'gissyermonee' e-mail!

They really do need to drag themselves into the 21st century, but personally, they have something of an anachronistic charm linking the whole process to a time when the world had more time for everything. By now you've probably worked out that I'm old enough to remember when muffin the mule was an enjoyable 15 minutes on a small black and white telly rather than its latest incarnation as a line of rubbish innuendo!

Right, I've built a small pile of bails to hide behind so I'll shut up now!

But, I will continue to buy from Le Prevo as they're the cheapest around if you can live with customer service from the 40's!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi.....yup mountain, thats what i said to them right at the beginning....they then tried to tell me some rubbish....if it is shoulder then its unlike any!!! other shoulder i've ever worked with from any dealer....and ta for your support dready....means a lot

a

ps...i've just got email saying its gona be collected on friday. will be interesting to see how 'moral' they decide to be about all this. personally i want my money back plus compensation for the time lost and stressed caused. that is what i would do.

Looks more like belly than shoulder with all those fibres.

Last edited:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Going back to the start - before the postage and awful ordering system. I have had quite a few sides from them with serious marks, even holes, in central areas which stopped efficient use of the whole hide. This isn't good enough when they are sold as premium. I have also had many brass items which have had to have significant work put into them to get them up to par. I liek the staff, I talk to them a lot, but I have to go elsewhere.

Quaint just ain't enough now.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
ta for your input dougster....seems that pretty much anyone who takes leatherwork seriously and/or does a lot of it isnt too happy with le prevo...and thats fairly messed up huh?

at least i feel justified in my contribution to robbis thread....thanks again all!

a

Going back to the start - before the postage and awful ordering system. I have had quite a few sides from them with serious marks, even holes, in central areas which stopped efficient use of the whole hide. This isn't good enough when they are sold as premium. I have also had many brass items which have had to have significant work put into them to get them up to par. I liek the staff, I talk to them a lot, but I have to go elsewhere.

Quaint just ain't enough now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They contacted me when the last item they had of what I wanted (3.5mm Veg tan side) had marks on it ... and gave me 10% off!
The marks are not serious and I can work around them with little wastage....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE