Laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Its the OWNERS land!

That's quite a thing to say . Rambling clubs were formed to prevent the closure of footpaths even .
If the land is in use then fine , but if not I can't see a problem . Fields I used to pick from as a teenager ( There was no problem , but from some of the comments I see there would be now ) are now housing estates . Go figure .
I have relatives who farm , and they don't mind . But the corporate farmers do
Kind of a corner shop - supermarket thing .
Also before you get all "it's my land" look up the battle of kinder scout . Purely because it's the most well known defiance of this type of thing .
Trev.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Its the OWNERS land! If he, she or they don't want you there then fine, its their right. I would not think most people would want to pitch camp before deciding to buy off that particular farmer either. I've an instinctive dislike for people who presume they can demand their wants over the legal owners rights. Whats wrong with just accepting the fact that some legal owners of land just want their property to remain private?

We have talked here in the past about finding a nice quiet spot to camp (with permission) and the fact that we often keep these spots to a small group; the reason is that a bigger group would spoil it. Point of fact that four of us are away next week to 'our' spot near Sennybridge and thats all the details we will give. This is not being mean but we know the spot cannot sustain big groups, we have permission to use it and that permission will remain as long as we keep up our end of the bargain and not have it wrecked by well meaning others. Everytime a camper goes and does their own thing on private land potentially shuts the door for others to ask to use that land with permission so think on that please.

you didn't answers his question

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I live near a reservoir that is owned by Seven Trent Water along with some woodland, after posting this thread and getting all of this advice I went to the office and asked them if they minded me foraging for fungi and other plants, they looked at me as if to say why are you asking it really doesn't matter and then they laughed and said no we really don't mind, go and help you're self.

i will always continue doing what i have been doing after this, i'm not like a bunch of Gypsies cutting down a fence going into a wood and living there. Im not a mindless idiot, you can tell that some ones forest land is meaning to them in a natural way as it should have a fence around it and wont be public land. I'm not talking you're back garden im talking places where people walk through that is open to the public. I think you are all being very childish, also mushrooms on the edge of a field have no value to farmers its not like you come across a whole field of mushrooms that get picked and sold by the farmer, so they can live. i'm sure if i went to my local farm they would say the same thing.

stickler

Mar 24, 2010
Hampshire
I have to say that I'm horrified by some of the intricacies of trespass laws posted here... sued for picking brambles!!! I'm used to taking trout from the nearest stream or loch, going where and doing whatever I please, short of starting a forest fire while armed to the teeth.

I'm having to move to London in the next month or so. What the hell am I going to do?

Well, we have to remember that a landowner owns his land 'ad coelum et ad integrum' accordng to old English Law, even if we don't 'know' the law, as we are all deemed to know it, LOL! Basically, that means that landowners 'own' the 'sky above and the earth below' their land.

There are just a few exeptions, such as the use of aircraft above the land and the mining of certain products underneath it. So, a landowner just has to accept that such 'distant' events must be accepted by him.

But in every other instance, a landowner owns everying 'above & below' his land. So he has the right to 'licence' or 'permit' other actions which will affect his legal rights. Taking/shooting things over his land is therefore illegal - unless separately permitted by him.

What is not illegal, is if a dog enters land to recover game etc, unless directed to do so. So despite what another poster has intimated, the actions of my dog were perfectly within the law. Had I sent him out there, it would have been illegal.

Stickler :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Its the OWNERS land! If he, she or they don't want you there then fine, its their right. I would not think most people would want to pitch camp before deciding to buy off that particular farmer either. I've an instinctive dislike for people who presume they can demand their wants over the legal owners rights. Whats wrong with just accepting the fact that some legal owners of land just want their property to remain private?

We have talked here in the past about finding a nice quiet spot to camp (with permission) and the fact that we often keep these spots to a small group; the reason is that a bigger group would spoil it. Point of fact that four of us are away next week to 'our' spot near Sennybridge and thats all the details we will give. This is not being mean but we know the spot cannot sustain big groups, we have permission to use it and that permission will remain as long as we keep up our end of the bargain and not have it wrecked by well meaning others. Everytime a camper goes and does their own thing on private land potentially shuts the door for others to ask to use that land with permission so think on that please.

Re-read my post.
I wasn't talking about camping, I was talking about foraging in response to Jonajuna's post about people harvesting too much.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Tell you what I'm also finding odd and strange (nay, hypocritical) is the attitude some people are shwoing to their (gulp) 'Rights'.
When a thread on knife control is started then we all, to a man (or woman!) say our rights to carry a knife are being infringed and it's a damn outrage! But my right to wander where I please (done with respect and courtesy, like owning a knife), to modestly pick the odd hedgerow shrub from the earth which, let's face it, is daft to presume that anyone 'owns' (how do they 'own' it? Who gave them the damn 'right' to 'own' the soil?) is all bouldered over and all of a sudden I've got to roll over on my back like something dead at the bottom of the pond and accept it.
These same people, who think we are losing our freedom to laws that prohibit our right to carry knives, guns and a whole host of other tools seem to be blinkered about other freedoms. Makes me believe that they are not interested in a sense of liberty and freedom but only interested in their own selfish concerns. Well, that's fine, but don't expect me to rally to your flag.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Firstly i’m interested in the forums and the stance that we portray to people and I assure you that my attitude is not hypocritical when it comes to knives and roaming, the stance on bcuk is that we abide by the law in our discussions no here. What’s happening in this thread now is ranting and it’s a shame that people feel they need to rant, there’s no real logic behind most of it there’s just a seeking for justification. The whole issue is always going to be complicated and there’s always going to be perturbed people involved when talking about it.

What i find interesting is that some feel that they have the right to turn this thread into a political statement of outrage, what gives you the rights to do that on my forum when i’ve asked for it not to happen? Have you some sudden rights that i don’t know about? It seems to me in threads like this that anyone that doesn’t agree with your opinions is the enemy when i the light of day they’ve just got a different opinion.

I’ll go back to what i said earlier for those that like to rant. Have you lobbied your MP? have you spoken to land owners? have you tried to buy your own land (could get a group together) have you tried for a job that allows you access? Have you looked at the legal situation and worked out what’s legal and what’s not? have you volunteered your services to land owners? Have you asked about with friends and family if they know of anywhere? Etc etc

Or is it easier to rant about how rights should be yours automatically irrespective of anyone else?

The OP was a factual statement of interest based on comparable statements and it’s just been dragged down the route of so many other threads, even when we’ve asked for it not to be done, that really is quite irritating, It’s irritating that on a Sat morning when I’m going out with my family there’s a need to come on here and remind people yet again, people that have agreed to the rules etc. If some of you want to do something constructive then go ahead, if some of you just want to use the forums to rant stop.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I didn't feel I was ranting at all! I just made statements of fact that were based on what I do. It seems to me that others were all to happy to have a go and weren't told to wind it in, but then maybe it is because I am a new guy which I've been told all too often since joining. It's not a statement that makes you feel too welcome, I must say!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I didn't feel I was ranting at all! I just made statements of fact that were based on what I do. It seems to me that others were all to happy to have a go and weren't told to wind it in, but then maybe it is because I am a new guy which I've been told all too often since joining. It's not a statement that makes you feel too welcome, I must say!

What on earth are you on about? I thought i was being general enough to cover everyone that could have been ranting and yet you choose to decide it's specifically directed at you? It seems to me that you're imposing on yourself any status of welcome or not welcome, there seems to be some big chip here somewhere that i'm missing, frankly if you feel you're getting picked on so much when you're obviously not it might indicate you're not comfortable here. :dunno:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Much of the land is owned by families who were granted it by William the Conquerer in return for battle service. How dubious.

A lot of it was paid for with money. That money had to be earned by working.

Do you own a house? How would you feel about some squatters moving in? If people can't OWN land why should people be able to OWN houses?

As has been said on this thread many times, go find the land owner, ask if you can camp/forage? You will probably have a nice answer.

I don't own land(other than my garden and what the house stands on) but my dad does, it was inheritred from my grandfather who bought it to farm. My dad has been farming it for 50+ years now. If someone politely explained what they would like to do and asked permission they the answer is most likely going to be "No problem" he would also probably show you where the farm taps were for drinking water. As long as the area was left as found you you would be welcome back.

Try it, politeness and manners can get you a long way.

Cheers

Grebby

A huge amount of land was also stolen from the people by the catholic church, and then in turn was stolen by Henry V111.

Land near me was stolen by John Horner, who failed to hand in the deeds to the king after he stole it from the church.

Hence the rhyme of Little Jack Horner.
Thieving git

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
What on earth are you on about? I thought i was being general enough to cover everyone that could have been ranting and yet you choose to decide it's specifically directed at you? It seems to me that you're imposing on yourself any status of welcome or not welcome, there seems to be some big chip here somewhere that i'm missing, frankly if you feel you're getting picked on so much when you're obviously not it might indicate you're not comfortable here. :dunno:

I realise it wasn't directed solely at me! :rolleyes: I thought I'd make sure that, as it felt I was being put up as one of the culprits, that I'd get my defence in first. The fact remains, a few times I've been told "You're new here...." like it matters! Or do time served people get away with more and get treated better than newbies? Just a simple question, not a rant by the way!

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Certainly seems to be the case on the site that you moderate on mate, especially when you throw your weight around. Why don't you just come out and tell everyone who you actually are ?

I'm not sure who you are, or who you think I am. Maybe you should enlighten us.

I'm not sure who you are, or who you think I am. Maybe you should enlighten us.

Looking at my original post I asked you to tell us Phil not hide behind smoke and mirrors, would you like to take this opportunity to tell us your previous handle on this site.

I thought banned members should stay banned though.

Seems your back with the same stinking attitude though.

leon-1

Guys, what has this to do with the thread?

Please desist from continuing on with this bickering, it makes a nice forum a nasty place to be.

Phill, Tony doesn't appear to be about at the moment, but his answer will be pretty much the same as mine, the time that you have on here doesn't effect the way you are treated.

The mods and the admin don't play favourites and this is why I am asking both you and poddle to stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE