Lavvu help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I have received one today and had a quick look at it, I have watched many YouTube videos and figured out what mods. I might do after a season of use but one question still goes un-answered which way round does it go arm hole buttons inside or out?

Dave

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You mean you got a poncho.
Set it up so the outside (when you wear it is intended) is outside when you set it up as a shelter.

Two or more ponchos can be made into a lavvu style tent. One can make an open ended shelter.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I just received mine today , what is the proper way to button the two up ? does anyone have a picture or link to video ?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Yes, it matters....as Janne says, the flaps/pads go on the inside as you would wear the poncho.

1/ doing it that way prevents water coming in the slots. With the flaps on the outside, rain can just run in....
2/ why would you turn your coat inside out to shelter in it?

Great little tents, use mine whenever solo.

Reactions: Tosh JPN

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
When I used to use mine with internal poles (I now use an external A frame?) I used to use extendable washing line poles, so you can set any height. £3-£5......?

From any shed like B and Q or whatever.............

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi, Lawrence, any chance of some pics of the external frame AND the washing poles, please? I've just acquired two ponchos from Military Mart and can't see how the poles that come with it make two separate shelters - as in picture in earlier post. I'm guessing that I'll need extra poles.
All the best.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I modded mine so that the flaps are outside, to aid water run off, as a poncho. And outside as a tent, so that you don't have them hanging in your face.
That required some changes to the arm holes, to make them drain to the 'new' outside.

I will probably never use it as a poncho (or two), but just for the exercise....

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Pictures here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Polish-Army-Lavvu-Teepee/3751, and reviews. I'm afraid I can't upload to this forum......
I modded mine so that the flaps are outside, to air water run off, as a poncho. And outside as a tent, so that you don't have them hanging in your face.
That required some changes to the arm holes, to make them drain to the 'new' outside.

I will probably never use it as a poncho (or two), but just for the exercise....
As a poncho and tent they should be inside. Should not being hanging in your face?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hi, Lawrence, any chance of some pics of the external frame AND the washing poles, please? I've just acquired two ponchos from Military Mart and can't see how the poles that come with it make two separate shelters - as in picture in earlier post. I'm guessing that I'll need extra poles.
All the best.

Hi of course, pictures here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Polish-Army-Lavvu-Teepee/3751 and reviews.
If you have 2 ponchos, you should have 4 poles....to make 1 shelter/tent

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
As a poncho and tent they should be inside. Should not being hanging in your face?

With the shoulder flaps on the inside, when set up as a tent, they hang down from the sides and into the tent area. I found myself getting caught up on them.
And when worn as a poncho, having the extrs flaps inside didn't seem to make sense either. As any water that made it through the outer layer, would then just run down the flaps and onto you. Where as, with the flaps outside, any leaks through them, would run down outside the poncho.
So I prefered the flaps to be outside and modded it so. It certainly works better for me this way. As a tent, at least.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
With the shoulder flaps on the inside, when set up as a tent, they hang down from the sides and into the tent area. I found myself getting caught up on them.
And when worn as a poncho, having the extrs flaps inside didn't seem to make sense either. As any water that made it through the outer layer, would then just run down the flaps and onto you. Where as, with the flaps outside, any leaks through them, would run down outside the poncho.
So I prefered the flaps to be outside and modded it so. It certainly works better for me this way. As a tent, at least.

I must admit, I've never ever, even in hard rain, had the material leak, but I do occasionally fabsil it every couple of seasons.......so have you sewn up the sleeve slots? Or what do you do to stop the rain coming in there?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Many thanks for the link.

I've just received my ponchos from Military Mart. I was very impressed my the genuine "newness" of the material.

I've now buttoned one side together.

Couple of questions:
1/ how do the top bits overlap effectively?
2/ what's the key to buttoning up the door flap? I've managed to overlap one side to produce what looks like a secure seal. The other side won't overlap - is a single layer of buttoning up (?) enough to keep out the weather?
3/ if someone could post pictures to add details I'd be most grateful.

All the best.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We got a second hand tripod rod rest 68in long, we peg the ponchos loosely then crawl underneath and put the poles up gives a much more useful space inside.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Many thanks for the link.

I've just received my ponchos from Military Mart. I was very impressed my the genuine "newness" of the material.

I've now buttoned one side together.

Couple of questions:
1/ how do the top bits overlap effectively?
2/ what's the key to buttoning up the door flap? I've managed to overlap one side to produce what looks like a secure seal. The other side won't overlap - is a single layer of buttoning up (?) enough to keep out the weather?
3/ if someone could post pictures to add details I'd be most grateful.

All the best.
It just interleaves? Admittedly, on my main one now, I use a zip on one side........... I'm afraid I can't post piccies on here......

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I must admit, I've never ever, even in hard rain, had the material leak, but I do occasionally fabsil it every couple of seasons.......so have you sewn up the sleeve slots? Or what do you do to stop the rain coming in there?

I modded the sleeves so that they would drain to my new outside (so oposite to stock). With the three layers of material, that should stop any ingress. But I have also added zips to the arm holes. But as with the main sides, I stitched them in so I can still use the buttons, should a zip fail.

The only thing I have not done to this tent/poncho's is use them enough!

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
Hello....just ordered the Hungarian camo version of the lavvu from military mart....think its made by the german army not sure......anyway hope the buttons don't drive me mad like the polish lavvu,as for hard rain fabsil is a good idea, never did get a leak but was murder on my old back when it was put away wet on a rainy day....oh my aching back:aarghh:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE