large camp knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have many small and normal bushcraft knives but I am looking for a larger knife to try for several uses, and I would like to pick the brains of people who use the larger size of knife.

Main uses for the knife:

Chopping
batoning larger wood (4" plus limbs)
Camp chores
dealing with all types of woods found in the UK and a few abroad
I do not mind the grind I like most and can handle sharpening them including convex and scandi and flat, I do not much like the concave or hollow grind because of the weakness of the grind, but i know it can be changed if necessary but it would take a lot of work to do it.

A few I have been looking at include:

Ontario RTAK II
Becker survival (BK9)
Becker Utility (BK7)
Helle Lapland
Ka-Bar Adventure Potbelly
Chris Caine Survival tool
Cold steel Recon Scout
Spec Plus SP50 Gen II
Spec Plus SP52 Gen II
SOG Jungle Canopy
Svord Pig Sticker
And the DNK XL (by our own FYGT)
other suggestions taken

I have fairly small hands (I take a small glove)

Anyone with experience in handling the above knives would be useful to hear from but any input would be good.

I have used a few different large knives and do like there uses.

I am putting a slight limit on price of around £150, but i am will to definitely go below that and a little above but i think it will have to be extremely good to hit the higher price mark.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
The blade I use most is a 7" blade MOD jungle/arctic survival knife I chop, gut/skin and prepare meals with it; However getting a good one is difficult I am told that the becker BK2 is what the MOD should have been.

Last edited:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
this one!

http://www.michiganknives.com/Item_Pages/RAT_Cutlery_Items/ESEE_Junglas.html

the beckers are excellent, the old camillus ones were brilliant. the original rtak was too light, the rtakII is much burlier. i think the junglas i posted above, designed by the same people and built by rowen, will be better still.

i've had other spec plus knives, they're good but the handles can be a little harsh, and the sheathes a bit shoddy. i can't comment on these two specifically.

that svord is only 2.5mm thick, maybe a little too light for your stated tasks.

cheers, and.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had a couple of Bowies (the old classic Bowie by Western; wish I still had that one), a 9 inch Muela Bowie that I like, a Marine Corps knife by Camilus, a few machetes, and lastly a Khukuri (hand made in Nepal)

Can I suggest 1 in particular? Not really; I love them all. I'd also like to try tne MOD knife but cain't afford it right now.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
this one!

http://www.michiganknives.com/Item_Pages/RAT_Cutlery_Items/ESEE_Junglas.html

the beckers are excellent, the old camillus ones were brilliant. the original rtak was too light, the rtakII is much burlier. i think the junglas i posted above, designed by the same people and built by rowen, will be better still.

i've had other spec plus knives, they're good but the handles can be a little harsh, and the sheathes a bit shoddy. i can't comment on these two specifically.

that svord is only 2.5mm thick, maybe a little too light for your stated tasks.

cheers, and.
That looks great bud, when you have decided bud, you will have to pop round for me to have a peep, lol.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I have one of the british army survival knives. Very heavy duty must be at least 4mm thick. Never used it myself but if you were interested i may sell it. If so pm me and il sort pics out if not what your after no problem. Cheers

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have a couple that you might like to have a play with Pete, I'll see if I can remember to look them out for the RC meet.

For most of what I do I prefer smaller blades, even for making kindling for the wood burner, but for light to medium chopping I like a parang. You're welcome to put one of them through its paces too if you like.

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3272.jpg

You can try any of the three on the left in that photo, but unfortunately not the one on the right. Its blade is still somewhere in the Venezuelan jungle. :(

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
I do have a proper MOD Survival that I was issued, but there is something about it that does not quite fit, not certain if it is the length and weight or hand guard but there is something that just does not not fit the bill. I did mod the handle so it chops good and heavy but there is still something about it :confused:

I know I will have to see the knives in person before trying them, so it may be a trip to Heinnie Haynes or elsewhere, ( i took me a year to finally decide that my first FYGT knife was going to be the DNK large :) and i certainly tried it before getting the blade and yes I still handling it :) )before the final decision I am just trying to get an idea of works for people and suggestions, and if there are any to steer well clear of, and which ones to make the list to certainly try.

Lee, will do mate, it will definitely be coming to meet but I will do a private view :)

Ged, that would be great, many thanks

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Tinky i have a couple of large knives you can have a look at if you can wait till northwood. One of which is a FGYT blade

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Large Knife is not at all "camp" ... it is a very butch Bill Hook (actually her name is Willamina Van De Hook - but being butch she is known as "Bill")!
Probably the most useful bit of kit in the woods for all those heavier tasks short of those needing an axe or saw a billhook looks less threatening to those who do not understand edged tools (police, general public etc) and who get worried when they see rufty tufty guys packing large edged tools...
Willamina was born of a certain "Elwell" and is no spring chicken but is still capable of hard work and is a good looking piece.
But definately not "camp"! When not naked she prefers to wear well oiled leather, likes a rubdown with oil after a workout and has not bitten me yet but I prefer to keep on the right side of her!

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
John :):lmao::)
Johnnyboy, I can certainly wait, this a big decision. I have the large dnk from FYGT, and i have seen the XL i did almost get it it was a close choice for me between the two.

I have the lapland on the list which is a leuku knife does it handle our harder woods? I know it will handle pines and birches but other woods?

I do have axes and saws, and I am looking into a billhook for different use after seeing and using one at North Wood (thanks MartinK9). The large knife is for other uses as well as general scouts is on a separate list for me, and for military purposes axes and billhooks are tricky for guys to understand and find. For where I will be using it and how it will be transport the police are not much of a concern as I will not be walking around streets with it. Military Police and range wardens (mainly using on training and exercises) in the area where I will be using it and at meets and other locations are ok about it generally cause I know about transporting it properly between meets (car boot not car itself)

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
You missed out the Cold Steel Trail master, not tried one but they are highly rated. At almost 8mm thick full flat grind battening etc is no problem. Have a look at Nutnfancy on YouTube, he's done LOADS of reviews of big knives.

Cheers

Mat

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I know your not a big fan ,, but its MOD Survival knife for me once the handle was sorted and some time spent on the edge ,

I have a large selection of blades from the MOD, green-river dadleys to parangs & kukri I still grab the MOD when I go shooting or at camp with the grandchildren.
The problem with the MOD is which model it is, mine is Marked R 1984 possibly preceded by a J then 127/8214 I bought it new as I say a joy to use it swells from the grip to a belly then tapers to almost a spear point. My other MOD knife was issued to a friend who was in the SBS in the Falkland war, where it was used. it is marked JR1979 127/8214 it is a different shape and 2 or 3 ounces heavier & feels like a crowbar with a handle but what a history... pics to follow

104-2.jpg
[/IMG]

I think you can see the difference. The pride of my collection is at the top my "USER" below.

Comparing my user to model "D" shape blades I notice a similarity???

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE