large camp knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
For 120-125 £ you can get a custom leuku from a finnish blacksmith. Beeing a leuku user myself I would suggest you to ask a convex (or cat's cheek, as they call it) grind if you're going to process hard woods often.

I too have quite small hands and I'm fine with a 20 cm blade with 5 mm spine.

I can point you toward few makers, but I won't do it here as I don't want to go off-topics. You can pm me if you want to keep discussing about them.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
You missed out the Cold Steel Trail master, not tried one but they are highly rated. At almost 8mm thick full flat grind battening etc is no problem. Have a look at Nutnfancy on YouTube, he's done LOADS of reviews of big knives.

Cheers

Mat

Have you read the OP?

Tinky-Pete's budget is c£150 :confused: -if you can find a CS Trailmaster for that price in any flavour please let me know and i will buy it.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

Interesting link,same knife £192 heinnie.com
There was a thread about the above company on here or British Blades (or both) and apparently to be avoided like the plague,may give them a phone to satisfy my curiosity as that is a good price for that knife -even if made in Taiwan-CS Trailmaster in San Mai 3 a lot better knife but of course also a lot pricier.

Link found:-

http://bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68181&highlight=bronzemoonoutdoors

EDIT 2:-

CS Trailmaster SK5 as above £200.40 on Cold Steel UK website,even taking into account dealer discounts etc. you don't have to be Carol Vorderman to see that something doesn't quite add up here.

Last edited:

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
Interesting link,same knife £192 heinnie.com
There was a thread about the above company on here or British Blades (or both) and apparently to be avoided like the plague,may give them a phone to satisfy my curiosity as that is a good price for that knife -even if made in Taiwan-CS Trailmaster in San Mai 3 a lot better knife but of course also a lot pricier.

Link found:-

http://bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68181&highlight=bronzemoonoutdoors

EDIT 2:-

CS Trailmaster SK5 as above £200.40 on Cold Steel UK website,even taking into account dealer discounts etc. you don't have to be Carol Vorderman to see that something doesn't quite add up here.

Wow. I've never used them myself. (or heard of them before) I just googled it, to see how much I could find one for and saw that one, a penny under the OP's budget so thought I'd share. Ignore my link folks ! Bloody hell. Note to self. Must check sources.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Talk about close shave, I was weighing up treating myself to the Trailmaster from Bronzemoon for my birthday, but decided to go for a smaller knife custom made and a DD tarp instead. Very glad I did now!

Cheers for the info

Mat

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
This is my large camp knife http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/product.php?id=313030fa874 I got it for xmas the only down side to this is the sheath something I recently remedied buying a MOD machete case off evilbay.

I have quite large hands and this fits nicely, smaller hands might enable a two hand grip for better chopping.

xmas08.jpg
newsheath03.jpg

Last edited:

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have a few blade from khukri House highly recommended, they will even leave the blades unpolished, they say polishing can heat the steel and affect the temper.
My blades are unpolished

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
John :):lmao::)
Johnnyboy, I can certainly wait, this a big decision. I have the large dnk from FYGT, and i have seen the XL i did almost get it it was a close choice for me between the two.

I have the lapland on the list which is a leuku knife does it handle our harder woods? I know it will handle pines and birches but other woods?

I do have axes and saws, and I am looking into a billhook for different use after seeing and using one at North Wood (thanks MartinK9). The large knife is for other uses as well as general scouts is on a separate list for me, and for military purposes axes and billhooks are tricky for guys to understand and find. For where I will be using it and how it will be transport the police are not much of a concern as I will not be walking around streets with it. Military Police and range wardens (mainly using on training and exercises) in the area where I will be using it and at meets and other locations are ok about it generally cause I know about transporting it properly between meets (car boot not car itself)

the junglas http://www.eseeknives.com/junglas_machete.htm i posted earlier was designed for counter-narcotics operations in south america, as was the original RTAK. for the purposes of training and exercises of a military nature, i can't help but think something a little more compact might be more useful. the 7inch becker is an excellent tool, or the esee6 http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-6.htm which is a bit smaller and significantly lighter, (better build too). both eminently capable camp knives. a big arsed knife left in the locker on camp is no good at all.

cheers, and.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
'Camp' enough?

10-Rainbow-Survival-Hunting-Knife-w-Sheath__43248_zoom.jpg

Well within budget ;)

On a more serious note ~ I have a couple of Bill-hooks laying about that you can have a play with over the course of the PK w/e ;)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have had the Ontario RTAK II for a couple of years now, and to be honest it doesn't get a great deal of use due to it's size. When I have used it though I've been impressed. The coating on the blade doesn't last long though. There are umpteen reviews on youtube, and it stands up to some serious abuse.
There are reports of large chips coming from the blade but I believe the makers replace these knives free of charge.

dsc02515it.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
'Camp' enough?

10-Rainbow-Survival-Hunting-Knife-w-Sheath__43248_zoom.jpg

Well within budget ;)

On a more serious note ~ I have a couple of Bill-hooks laying about that you can have a play with over the course of the PK w/e ;)

It's nice for a navy knife maybe not pink although MATLO's would snap it up enough but us PONGO's prefer something darker :)

As for the Billhooks, the more prarctice I can get with a new tool the better.

Sxmolloy, For the purpose that I require the RTAK is definitely up there
Brancho, thanks I am going to try the Leuku up the final list too, especially if I can get a convex edge on one to handle our harder woods for the price.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
The 1095 Carbon blade holds a very good edge I have found, even after heavy duty use. It's easy to sharpen and the micarta handle is comfortable enough. My sheath has one front pocket and one fastening strap over the handle. I think theres a new sheath now available with two straps. I have wrapped approx 10 meters of paracord around the bottom part of the sheath and the pocket currently holds a DC4, fire steel and striker and a small folding lock knife. There are MOLLE straps on the reverse of the sheath if thats a carry option you require. If its a tough knife that you require and you can make use of a knife this size then I would say go for it. HTH, Stu

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... MATLO's ...

I must admit that I had to 'Fu to make sure of where the insult was aimed ~ that's squaddie rewording for you :lmao: (Waste of time, my initial thought was correct :D)

As for the Billhooks, the more prarctice I can get with a new tool the better.

In which case (providing I remember) I'll bring the two bill hooks, the froe and the mini cleaver / kindling splitter ;) .

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I've had the BK2 for around 3 years which I've been using in conjunction with a Martindle golok and a small 4" fixed blade and its a great knife and I haven't felt the need to replace it but I recently got my hands on a MOD survival knife and I prefer it to the BK2, I tested them both out in the woods and the MOD chops much better its to be expected though because its a longer blade and noticeably heavier, I like the blade shape as well it gets broader towards the tip, holds a good edge too.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Brancho, thanks I am going to try the Leuku up the final list too, especially if I can get a convex edge on one to handle our harder woods for the price.

The top knife on my shot (not mae by me) is a brusletto Leuku blade may suit you better but they are about 3 mm thick. Its al in the wrist action you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE