Lannyman and Minstrel go walkabout...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
We had planned this walk for about a month so the weather was going to be what it was going to be...the forecast gave a hope of a dry walk/camp in moderate temperatures for the time of year...right!!

So, Chris and I met up in The North York Moors and planned a couple of day's walk with wild camping thrown into the mix over 2 nights.

We set off in good health and with the banter flowing and had some 9 miles with fairly weighty packs to manage before making camp. We'd set off late and arrived with 3 minutes till sun-down! A small over-sight but we found a cracking bit of wood and put our tarps together; we got a fire going and quickly found that there was no finer place to be than right there and right then...

IMG00978-20111125-1842.jpgIMG00979-20111126-0823.jpgIMG00980-20111126-0824.jpg

We set off from Helmsley and walked for some 5 hours to a wood that Chris knew of. It was perfect. We arrived with little time to set up camp and find fire-wood but soon had things ship shape. It was a cool night and we had a spot of rain but weren't bothered as we had good tarpage, a decent bivvy apiece and winter doss bags.

IMG00983-20111126-1053.jpgIMG00978-20111125-1842.jpgIMG00982-20111126-0956.jpg

On waking we had a brew and breakfast as well as putting the world to rights giving a late start around 11:00 thinking we had about 7.5 miles to cover...not sure how, but this turned into nearly 12 freakin- miles on hot spot feet!! It wasn't all endurance and sufferance though - we had a couple of brew stops
IMG00989-20111126-1452.jpgIMG00990-20111126-1455.jpg

.....and chatted the day away laughing at the dumbest things and suddenly being kids again (mischief managed). We finally arrived at the second night's site, in the dark and struggled to find a perfect spot. Not to be beaten we knuckled down and made do with what we had. An hour later we had tarps up, a floor of conifers to insulate us from the sodden ground, a cracking fire going and dinner on the go. All good.

It wasn't long before I had nodded off. Chris struggled again which was good coz he was awake to take care of my poor tarp work when the rain started to fall.

IMG00992-20111127-1012.jpg

Again, on waking, we had a good breakfast and coffee before having a mooch around and an attempt at bow drill fire making. Time quickly over-took us so we struck camp and headed back to the car rounding off a fab weekend.

The weather did its best to pee us off but we improvised, adapted and overcame.

I already have great memories from Chris dragging my bottom out from my warm flat. Thanks bud.

I should mention that the trip was sweetened by a couple of friends who joined us along the way... Hazel, who help support me on days 2 and 3 and Mr Jameson who helped with getting off to sleep and a general sense of other worldliness :)

Until the next time.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it was a great weekend, thanks for coming down, shame the weather was so poor...:(

lots of pics from the walk and first camp, lots of brews...:) and sorry, no pics of the last day, my camera just is very poor, im suppries i got this meany pic's...

had an awesome weekend and thanks again to John for coming down to visit, my turn to come see you next time round...;)

regards.

chris...

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Nicely done fellas!

7.5 miles turning into 12 eh, I used to walk with someone who put together walks like that, we reckoned he used an elastic band to measure the distances rather than a piece of string.

Al

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great trip out walking and camping.
Hoping to do a trip like that myself soon as its been a while since I got some miles in, and dragged my self up some steep hills.

aaaahhhh... MOD ration pack boil in the bag :D What menu was it? Some of them are quite edible, but I have to draw the line at the army ration pack pate... it comes in what looks like a cat food can because that's precisely what it is!

Looks like you had a fun trip despite the weather. As a new father unable to get out and about much at the moment I'm dead jealous!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
turns out my blisters where just hot and compression spots...:)

thanks gents, not sure what menu they where, i do know they where from 2003/4 though...:) its ok though they will last FOREVERE>>>>>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE