Langley Wood National Nature Reserve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello all. Had a great couple of hours out in the New Forest. Chose Langley Wood NNR in the north and it was a great choice. Large semi-natural ancient woodland, littered with AWIs of course, and all round beautiful prime Oak woodland. You don't get much better than that. Very interesting few hours... Maybe fifteen minutes in I saw what I'd never seen before, a whole stampede of what looked like Fallow deer. I'm not exaggerating when I say there were at least 30-40 of them on the move through the woods at once. Sadly I never got a photo. Great moment though. There was a hide in an open area of the wood where we found a dead fox. Not entirely sure why it was placed there. The woodland itself was just spectacular, rivaling many of the woods I've seen before. Bluebells, Primrose, Dog's Mercury, Ground Ivy, Wood Sorrel, Common Dog Violet (may have been Early Dog Violet, though I'm not sure), Wood Spurge, Wood Anemone and much more were out. Went to Fritham and had a quick drink at the Royal Oak before going home.

Here are a few of the best photos.

Cb9Msz3.jpg

Flora:
MSCSmwP.jpg

OtB5PBm.jpg

uGHvmCu.jpg

LoojblI.jpg

K8mVIVp.jpg

8wqU45O.jpg

wOMielY.jpg

Hide
HGrZ5ut.jpg

Under which we found this poor creature
FnCnxIV.jpg

A rest with the dog
7enbrDi.jpg

He's decided he doesn't want to walk
xKdVYhs.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Looks like you had a great walk. I love springtime and autumn - by far my favourite seasons.

I took my niece's dog for a good long hike along the coastline and into some woodland today got to get a dog of my own! He's a black pug and twice now someone has said " Oi mate. Your pug has fallen out of your handbag" which is pretty darn funny but embarrassing at the same time!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Nice pics there, looks like you had a good walk.
It really was. Another incredibly sunny day too.

Looks like you had a great walk. I love springtime and autumn - by far my favourite seasons.

I took my niece's dog for a good long hike along the coastline and into some woodland today got to get a dog of my own! He's a black pug and twice now someone has said " Oi mate. Your pug has fallen out of your handbag" which is pretty darn funny but embarrassing at the same time!
Spring and Autumn are my favorite seasons as well. Summer is too warm (at least here in the south of England) and I'm not really a fan of winters. I would definitely recommend you get a dog if you have the time and patience. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is actually the first dog I've had. He's 3 and a bit now. He's not the most active of dogs (as you can see from the last picture) but he makes up for it in his breed's legendary friendliness.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I camped there 20 years ago,lovely place,is there still a load of peacocks near there? i remember hearing them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE