Lanark Medieval Festival August 16-17 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sounds good to me Tom. Pm me and we can organize a meet up as I don't know where you are.
I'm trying to get SWMBO to go shopping instead that gives me the excuse to turn magpie aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Shinyyyy thiiinnggss oops sorry glazed over there.

But I suppose I'll bring her ...saves kissing her goodbye!! Lol

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Sniper, here's the plan. You bring her over to say hello, I offer her a nice cup of tea, she sits down for a chat while you slope off an buy something shiney. How's that sound?

Eric

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sniper, here's the plan. You bring her over to say hello, I offer her a nice cup of tea, she sits down for a chat while you slope off an buy something shiney. How's that sound?

Eric

Sounds like a plan to me Eric, try some sleeping potion in the tea, then I wo'nt get earache on the way back after she's seen me with a bag.
Anybody know if rancid badger is going with any of his stuff?

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Bit off topic for a mo sorry.......TyFy where's the name from, not ex REME by any chance?

The name comes loosely fom my middle name Teifion which is supposed to be Man from the Teifi Valley (South West Wales, comes out in Cardigan bay. The National Coracle Museum is a short way inland at the Cenarth Falls BTW)

Although not actually from Wales myself my Grandads side of the family are from a little way south of Cardigan bay

Anyway I bought a framed reproduction of a Medieval map of Wales an it had the name of the river marked as Tyfy.

Richard

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Had an absolutely wonderful day in the company of even more wonderful people from this forum.

So glad to have met some of you at last and thanks to Mary and Eric for such genourosity.

Try and get tomorrow if you can.

Tom.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'll second that Tom, we had a great time. Enjoyed the company, the stalls, the demonstrations, the stalls, the food, the stalls.........shiiiiinnnnyyy biiitttss aaaahhh.
Also Toddy gave me a great tip for making a custom wool shirt for £12..........now where did I leave my thimble Oi shut that door!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'll second that Tom, we had a great time. Enjoyed the company, the stalls, the demonstrations, the stalls, the food, the stalls.........shiiiiinnnnyyy biiitttss aaaahhh.
Also Toddy gave me a great tip for making a custom wool shirt for £12..........now where did I leave my thimble Oi shut that door!

What was it.....pray tell

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What was it.....pray tell

The festival had re-enactment camps with Roman,Viking and medeival soldiers.

There were longbow archers,period musiscians and working carpenters,forgers carvers,weavers etc.

Falconry display and numerous vendors of leather,fabric,wood etc..etc...

If you needed advice on anything everyone was more than willing to explain.

Our own Toddy and Eric with wee Jim and Erics grandson were most welcoming and hospitable.

A really good day out.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Sounds like it was a great day out, anyone get any photos?

These things are like buses, they all come along at the same time! As well as the festival, Historic Scotland were running something at Linlithgow palace and it was a good enough day for a paddle, I plumped for the paddle, this was second on the list. No doubt next weekend will be empty of cool things to do :(

Cheers,

Alan

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I had been looking forward to this for the last 2 weeks+ and had planned on going on the Saturday.

In the end we went to a local Agricultural show so the kids could get their faces painted on the Saturday then a Kids Festival show on Sunday that I found out only 1 of the 3 kids wanted to go to in the first place and left us about 2 1/2 hours at most for the festival then 1 of the kids who didn't want to go to the show had a strop so we ended up coming home for a boring afternoon in front of the TV.

Next time the rest of the family can take the bus and I will do what I want.

I will add that my wife doesn't drive so I went along to the festival show as a driver.

Richard

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I got some photos before both batt's ran out (thanks kids)
l'll see if one of said lovables will help post them later.

Hopefully they haven't wiped the card (they've only got c. another half dozen and cameras on phones:rolleyes: ).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, well it's called "Neolithic Cut" and it kind of works like this.
There's an argument that in Northern Europe garments were first tailored from skins, and since the mindset/ pattern skills that use skins for clothing are markedly different from the ones where clothing is constructed from narrow woven panels of the original backstrap looms, the cut is very different.

The Neolithic Cut is basically a one piece shirt pattern that has no shoulder seams to leak, or to rub under pack straps, and it is incredibly economical of fabric too :D

You can get an idea of how the pattern fits together if you make this first;
Take a square of paper, say A4, trimmed to size.
Now fold over a piece about a quarter of the sheet right across.
Using that folded over edge as a guide tear the paper inwards a quarter of it's width from either side, and fold these pieces in.
You've made a T shape.
Cut out a small circle at the centre top of your first fold witha short straight cut down the front, that's the neckline.
Narrow the sleeves from the cuff to the underarm tearing off long triangles. These triangles become the collar and cuffs, the neck piece becomes the gores for the side hems, and if you leave a bit of the chest seam open you can sew in a pocket with a covering flap at your chest.
The only seams are from wrist to wrist and straight down the front. The rest is just comfort fit as one chooses.

Use fabric instead, result, one Neolithic Bushcraft shirt from a metre and a half of 150cms wide cloth :D

The two crucial measurements are that the cloth wide enough to go around your chest/ tummy, and make sure the first fold over is deep enough to fit around your underarm without either girding free movement or being too loose. Try to keep the neckline small, the front slit allows it to slip over your head so it doesn't need to be as big as that. Make the neckline a bit deeper at the front than at the back.
If the fabric is too wide, strips can be cut off the front to narrow the body, and if you want a full length front opening shirt just finish the front edges with buttons/holes or a zip or lacings.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE