Lanark Medieval Festival August 16-17 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
001.jpg
[/IMG]Some photos...hopefully.

002.jpg
[/IMG]

006.jpg
[/IMG]

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Ah, well it's called "Neolithic Cut" and it kind of works like this.
There's an argument that in Northern Europe garments were first tailored from skins, and since the mindset/ pattern skills that use skins for clothing are markedly different from the ones where clothing is constructed from narrow woven panels of the original backstrap looms, the cut is very different.

The Neolithic Cut is basically a one piece shirt pattern that has no shoulder seams to leak, or to rub under pack straps, and it is incredibly economical of fabric too :D

You can get an idea of how the pattern fits together if you make this first;
Take a square of paper, say A4, trimmed to size.
Now fold over a piece about a quarter of the sheet right across.
Using that folded over edge as a guide tear the paper inwards a quarter of it's width from either side, and fold these pieces in.
You've made a T shape.
Cut out a small circle at the centre top of your first fold witha short straight cut down the front, that's the neckline.
Narrow the sleeves from the cuff to the underarm tearing off long triangles. These triangles become the collar and cuffs, the neck piece becomes the gores for the side hems, and if you leave a bit of the chest seam open you can sew in a pocket with a covering flap at your chest.
The only seams are from wrist to wrist and straight down the front. The rest is just comfort fit as one chooses.

Use fabric instead, result, one Neolithic Bushcraft shirt from a metre and a half of 150cms wide cloth :D

The two crucial measurements are that the cloth wide enough to go around your chest/ tummy, and make sure the first fold over is deep enough to fit around your underarm without either girding free movement or being too loose. Try to keep the neckline small, the front slit allows it to slip over your head so it doesn't need to be as big as that. Make the neckline a bit deeper at the front than at the back.
If the fabric is too wide, strips can be cut off the front to narrow the body, and if you want a full length front opening shirt just finish the front edges with buttons/holes or a zip or lacings.

Result, one Neolithic Bushcraft shirt from a metre and a half of 150cms wide cloth :D

cheers,
Toddy

Now desperately trying to find the right type and thickness of material and Bob's yer aunties hubby. By the way nice pics Barn Owl.

drew1166

Jun 1, 2007
Wishaw, Scotland
I would just like to add....

A BIG THANK YOU to Mary , Eric and all the people I met at Lanark.
A great bunch of people who are dedicated to their craft and who are more than happy to pass on great tips and useful information without batting an eyelid.

It was great to meet everyone there and put faces to the names.

As a relative newbie, it was great to meet people who are like minded in the pursuit and understanding of our craft.

Thanks again folks.

Andy.
( The big hairy viking.)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Aye, yer welcome Andy. It was good meeting you.

Here's some photos. I'll get the other 117 processed when I can.

sm-lanark-2008-001.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-002.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-003.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-004.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-005.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-006.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-008.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-009.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-010.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-011.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-012.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-013.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-014.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-015.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-016.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-017.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-019.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-020.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-021.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-022.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-023.jpg

sm-lanark-2008-024.jpg

In no particular order. (Thanks to Graham for taking the above for me with my camera).

I had a brilliant time, taught nearly 20 people how to make fire with flint and steel for the first time, met some fantastic folk, made loads of new friends, and to cap it off my grandson Cameron confided in me that he wants to marry a Scottish lass when he grows up.

Eric

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Cameron confided in me that he wants to marry a Scottish lass when he grows up.

From the moment I clapped eyes on that lad I knew he had impeccable taste. Of course he was in the company of the most beautiful Scottish lasses as can be seen in the pictures.. :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........says a proud uncle :D

Actually they really are lovely girls, and I had a ball.
I met so many people, had Happy Birthday sung to me by the Vikings :eek: :eek: :eek: , spent a lot of time with friends and picked up all sorts of interesting info :approve:

It was excellent to put faces and voices to so many names from here on the forum too :) Happy to meet up again, folks :)
Next time, we're having a better set up for sitting around the fire :D

If this sort of event interests people, the next big one is the Largs Viking Festival at the end of the month / start of September
http://www.largsvikingfestival.com/

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im going to sulk now! Glad to see you all had a great time though, ill plan to go to next years.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cameron confided in me that he wants to marry a Scottish lass when he grows up.

From the moment I clapped eyes on that lad I knew he had impeccable taste. Of course he was in the company of the most beautiful Scottish lasses as can be seen in the pictures.. :lmao:

If you want the hi-res originals of the lasses and their Mum, just ask.

Eric

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
toddy it would be well worth making a new thread to see who is going to the vigar thing in largs, if some of the forum members are going i am sure i would pop down to put some names to faces

looks like a great weekend out

webbie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE