Lake District

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I am off up to the Lakes in a couple of weeks with my wife and son , anybody have any reccomendations for a nice family campsite for tents preferably on a lake side not to fussy about fancy facilities , clubs etc we are used to roughing it to a degree ( wife does like a nice clean shower / toilet block though )

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Driven past that site many times it looks good , I will be interested to see what you think of it , a couple of nice local pubs as well

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Grizedale is a nice site. I've been quite a few times and will go quite a few more. There are pitches in the forest or on the main field, fires are allowed and the owner sells wood and kindling. Take an axe to split with if you go as the wood comes in hefty chunks. The toilets and showers are small, but clean and well maintained. Its 5 miles to the nearest shops in Hawkshead but there is a pub half a mile up the road. :)

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Thanks that looks like a great site

We have stayed at Castlerigg Farm near Keswick a few times which we like but fancy a change

Thanks

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just come back from Grizedale and have to say not to bad for a public campsite. (I'm used to staying on scout sites or wild camping) Bit noisier than I'd have liked it wasn't to bad. As Hillbill mentioned toilets and showers are small so in peak times it's busy. But we managed to get our 4m bell tent on to a pitch in the wooded hill side

c1238419-603f-7d25.jpg

Shame it rained for most of the last three days of the trip....Think I'd use the site again maybe early or later in the year to escape the crowds.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Another positive review here too. I'm not sure how long its going to keep running. Speaking to the guy that ran the place he wanted to hand the business over to his daughter, who was more interested in going to university.

But its a great sight, with a walk up to a lookout point, fire braziers available and a selection of Yurts to rent as an alternative. I even think I saw some wood hut dwellings there too.

The pub nearby is excellent, friendly staff and a dessert menu to savor, oh sweet toffee fudge pudding.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Off tomorrow morning via a trip to Tamarack to pick up a few bits , hope it does not rain too much son bringing his mate so kids will be happy , looking to have a go at canoe hire on Derwent water and a few local attractions around Keswick

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The Low or is it High WRay site is on the northwest corner of Windermere. It allows fires IIRC and is NT site. Go round from Ambleside and its near Wray castle. It is in the cool campsite book as top 50 sites in UK IIRC.

There is one between the buttermere to Honister road and Buttermere itself that is not too bad (also with hireable boats but might need permission to paddle Buttermere as its private AFAIK).

I like Langdales one as ODG and NDG and Stickle Tavern is nearby.

Also the campsite behind the Fish pub in Buttermere I like too.

Side Farm in Patterdale is not too bad. The toilets and shower block isn't too bad neither with power points too!! Good for hairdriers for your lass I reckon.

There is a good one in Eskdale too. Near that nice little pub at Eskdale Green (names after some king the IV, George I think).

Brotherswater campsite behind the Brotherswater Inn is also very good. It also has bunkhouses if the weather dampens your family's enthusiasm for camping.

Also the campsite in Buttermere has a good get out building if the tent fails. Its up to the left of the toilets. Also there is a camping barn to the left up the hill as you come out of Buttermere too.

Anyway, I'm sure you've probably booked in already so my post is a bit late. I've stayed in all but the Wray one and the Eskdale one but mates who have all say they're good.

Enjoy your hols. Sorry about the weather, if I could I'd sort it out but I forgot to book the hot Cumbrian summer this year (and all the others for about 8 years). I'd be up in the hills myself every weekend if the weather had been better. I'm kinda fed up with wet weekends in the hills now. Plus my tarp has started to pursuade me to become a fair weather camper by leaking in heavy rain.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Got back late yesterday from our trip to the Lakes

Ended up camping at Lane End Campsite near Thornthwaite as reccommended by Mrs Toilet Digger , well pleased with the site , clean toilets and showers for the wife , plenty of room and best of all campfires every night.

Even found a little half day Bushcraft event well run by Ross of Reach Beyond Adventure for the lads and a real bargin at £10 each and in a nice setting in Winlatter forest, they did fire setting and lighting with fire sticks, tindersand how to prepare them from the forest, made a brew etc, basic shelters

Most used Bushcraft kit was the Trangia , I now know why people rate them so highly , we used it every day when out and about and on the last day in the tent when the gas bottle ran out for all the camp cooking , my Alan Wood knife was used daily for camp duties and fuzz sticks etc, Rougue hat was used to protect me from the rain as well as sun and for wafting the fire , wildlife hatched used to prepare fire wood , but wished I had taken something a little bigger to be honest, carving knives used most evenings sat by the fire whittling .

Overall a great week and I would highly reccomend the campsite , well run , clean family site , had everything we wanted and at a good price, basic but not to much for the wife.

On the plus side have now persuaded her to let me have a Lavu and a Landrover 110

Back to work Monday .......................... can't wait!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE