Camping Klöntalersee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
Last weekend I took my 12 year old son camping for the first time. This was his first experience spending a night in a tent. He is used to the great outdoors and has spent many a night with me stalking wild boar in the field or from a high seat in the forest.
My equipment is quite old so I invested in a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer 2 tent and and as a treat I bought him a Nieto Patrol Knife. Sadly, we had to use a campsite but it wasn’t too bad, and he enjoyed the experience. The weather was pretty good so the tent wasn’t really tested but from the reviews I have read it is one of the most waterproof tents in its class. There was very little condensation and no bugs!

The knife was an impulse buy and didn’t cost too much, about GBP 60. It split wood with ease, and it created sparks from the flint from the get go. After a clean, it sliced tomatoes and onions for the beef burgers! And it still feels razor sharp. We hiked the length of the lake about 10km in 2 hours with a couple of stops for photos and a break.

Going forward, I will have to get a new tent for myself and the Gossamer 2 is top of my list, also considering the JW Skyrocket 2 and the Salewa Litetrek 2. Open to suggestions as well! Ground mats are also needed as exercise mats just don’t cut the mustard.

The most important thing is that he enjoyed it; next time we will bring a fly rod because there was plenty of trout rising

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sounds like a great trip. :)

Decent ground mats are a must IMO but I confess: I'm still to find a good compromise between cost, weight, pack size, inflation method, toughness, comfort, and insulation performance.

Reactions: Conor

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
I have checked some in Transa in Zurich; they are almost as expensive as the tent! But I agree, a good nights sleep and comfort is very important.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds like a belter and hopefully more to come ;)

Sleep stuff is something you will flit around for ever, cost, weight, which injuries you are carrying lol.

Reactions: Conor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE