Clarity on COVID-19 conduct for campsites.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob Adams

Feb 27, 2018
Birmingham UK
Camping seems pretty much screwed at the moment unless you have a caravan or camper van...

It seemed like an apt time to rekindle enthusiasm in the recommended campsite thread but the flow has been somewhat interrupted by the slow uptake on campsite openings.

Campsites have been allowed to be open from yesterday - 4th July in England. Scotland will have to wait until 15th July. There are some campsites in England now taking bookings for tent pitches with shared toilet facilities. I have family with a pitch booked for the 12th. At this site shared spaces like rec-rooms will remain closed but the shared toilet facilities are open with measures to allow social distancing.

So there seems to be some variance in how campsites are operating right now, maybe due to the owners' personal concerns about the use of facilities. Perhaps this week's review will clarify the rules on shared toilets again but perhaps not. Maybe it is now just down to us and owners to work out how to use the toilet blocks (?).

I don't mean to overtly encourage people to travel and mix. I am fairly concerned about catching it as well as spreading it. But there are plenty of families who have been stuck together with little decent outside space and I have absolutely no problem with them getting a small break at some point this year, in what is probably the most Covid safe way possible.

I have little doubt that most sites will do what they reasonably can to help us keep each other safe, i.e. a bottle of sanitiser on the outside of the block and a sign to remind us to socially distance. But whatever steps they take it's also down to us choosing to use those facilities to be super diligent in how we use them and accept that even with our efforts we are taking a risk. Maybe take an extra stuff sack for clothes and towels to avoid using hooks on doors, and allow plenty of time for ventilation between cubical uses.

If possible to ask without just getting bogged down in the ethics of travel at the moment, is there anything we can do to help reassure campsite owners that they are allowed to operate, and any bright ideas on how they can cost-effectively improve the safety on-site? We want them to survive as businesses right?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wish I knew...

But I am going back for a while, and thewy are sending me their rules...I will share when I get them

I think it might be problematic for a while if you havent a caravan or a camper.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Just got it, but wondering how to share, its a PDF file, hard to cut and paste.

(Bear in mind this is the site I stay upon, Perran Quay Touring Park, and may not be typical for Cornwall or anywhere else)

Synopsis....

Site at 50% capacity, social distancing rules in place, dont share facilities, the shop and pub closed but the launderete open, -one in one out.

They are having a takeout menu at the pub.

The toilet block is open but social distance and keep everything clean.

No, Tengu, you have your own shower; keep away. (Same as for caravans and campers).

PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS.

They will take tempretures of everyone comming in.

Contactless payments.

Hope that is of use to you. I think you will have to get in contact wherever you are going to check with them.

Its going to be a rather surreal summer in Cornwall this year.

Reactions: Bob Adams

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im back on camp.

They are running at about 25% capacity and wont bring on more untill the 21st.

They are then fully booked.

I dont think you will have much luck here. Shame

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE