Lacking outdoor skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like mangoes. Does that mean I shouldn't eat them or bananas or oranges and lemons or use pepper or cinnamon or rice or cous cous (I can't eat gluten) etc etc to shop ethicly? How much of what you eat is imported.... go take a look!
You do realize that cous cous is glutinous don’t you?

As I’ve stated before, my daughter’s a celiac, so I scrutinize everything that comes into the house. We have to check foods that everybody else takes for granted.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Does quinoa gluten have the same amino acid sequences as does wheat gluten protein?
Other than a common name, I would not believe that they were even remotely the same.
There's so-called gluten in maize/corn. I can buy 50 lb sacks of it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does quinoa gluten have the same amino acid sequences as does wheat gluten protein?
Other than a common name, I would not believe that they were even remotely the same.
There's so-called gluten in maize/corn. I can buy 50 lb sacks of it.
No. Quinoa is celiac safe as long as it doesn’t get cross contaminated. So is corn with the same proviso. Many gluten free pastas are made from quinoa, corn, or rice.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I tried pasta from Lentils.
Never again. I am happy to take the discomfort from my intestines.

I love lentils. As a lentil dish, not as a masquerade.
Quinoa? What is wrong with barley and the other seeds? Amaranth, the other Ancient grains, grown within short distance or even within
UK?

The ‘free from brigade’ give rise to some truly weird foods....l

I did try once a non dairy cheese.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I tried pasta from Lentils.
Never again. I am happy to take the discomfort from my intestines.

I love lentils. As a lentil dish, not as a masquerade.
Quinoa? What is wrong with barley and the other seeds? Amaranth, the other Ancient grains, grown within short distance or even within
UK?

The ‘free from brigade’ give rise to some truly weird foods....l

I did try once a non dairy cheese.
Barley also has gluten (buckwheat and oats do not as long as they aren’t cross contaminated) For a celiac it not just “discomfort.” It’s an autoimmune disease and gluten causes their intestines to die slowly. I’ve spent far too many nights in a hospital emergency room with my daughter to take chances on glutinous foods. Not to mention a partial bowel resection and removal of her gall bladder so far with more surgeries scheduled.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Quinoa is nutritionally superior to grass grains for micronutrients and amino acids.
The staple on the Alto Plano in South America for thousands of years.

The modern snag is the popularity that has driven up the price to the point that the locals in the Andes mtns
can hardly afford to eat any more!

The grass-grains, Gramineae, however, are closely related so they would share (maybe) some
very similar amino acid sequences in their proteins.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not suffer from Celiac disease, but an another condition that gets worse with ingesting Gluten protein. Also Lactose.

Small amounts are OK if I am in a non inflammatory stage.

Thankfully Celiac disease is fairly rare. 1-2% suffer from it. Generic component.
Surgery is rare, mainly on patients that can not manage a good diet.

Celiac disease is not to be confused with Morbus Crohn, which I have a mild form of, made more interesting by severe Diverticulosis...

As far as I remember, quinoa is not the superfood people think it is. Only because it has a funky name and is exotic, the ‘free from’ people think it is a ‘superfood’
Google a comparison between various grains if you do not believe me.

Try Millet or Buckwheat. Taste nice.

Last edited:

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
Actually from what i gathered on the training weekend. The advice was don't bring gear you can't afford to loose as the police will try to destroy it.... which they did. Also why the pop up tents were popular though not nessasarily ideal is because you can't put pegs into concrete and they are cheap as chips. Thanks to the police there is now a huge pile of people's belonging being put into landfill and they are complaining about the waste and cost which they created themselves!
I know of several people who lost things this way as they were given an hour to get their stuff.. then kettled for several hours so they couldn't get it even though willing to do so.
What a great and subtle way to turn the tide of opinion against them! Clever! But not clever enough. We see through it if the reports are read properly rather than emotionally.

And quite rightly so.

Those doorknobs were disrupting people’s lives. Stopping Emergency service vehicles from operating putting lives at risk and delaying medical care and several people have complained because they couldn’t see their dying loved ones. If anyone dies due to emergency vehicles being delayed they should all be charged with manslaughter.

They all walk about using smart phones, wireless and noise cancelling headphones, diesel generators to charge them, synthetic clothes made from petrochemicals process, tents, plastic containers for food and they were caught going into fast food restaurants, and they are getting paid for it!

Rip their tents up, get the fire brigade into blast them with the hose until they get wet and miserable and go home and stop disrupting other people’s lives for their scaremongering crap. Who are they to gob off while being so hypocritical, I probably have less of a carbon footprint than those doorknobs.

Prime example was the Oil Conference in Aberdeen a few months ago. The theme of the whole event was decommisioning and environmental impact. And the protesters were there with all their hypocritical crap, drove in, wearing synthetic clothing and gobbing off.
The oil Industry has to abide by strict legislation and policy and a lot of time has been invested in reducing their environmental impact during decommissioning, so much so they are leaving subsurface structures in place because of the eco systems that have grown around them.

People are fed up with their hypocritical rubbish. You can see the footage of normal people fighting backa against these middle class, spoilt doorknobs.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My point was about imported foods and food miles. I said cous cous but I probably meant quinoa. As has been said the food miles for that and the problem it causes for the people who have grown and eaten it for thousands of years not being able to afford it anymore is something to take into account. I eat neither of these grains as I don't like them. I can eat oats, and I buy Scottish oats.
Gluten free has become a fad for some true but the proliferation of gluten free products in store has been a godsend for many others. I used to worry about cross contamination and spend hours scrutinising labels. It turned a shopping trip into a whole afternoons stress.
I'm not coeliac but I have a friend who is and one with crohns so cooking for them is important to get it right.
I discovered my own intolerance after watching them and having symptom discussions with them and knowing my own digestive tract problems decided to give it a go and the transformation of my gut health was amazing. If I eat wheat I get problems within hours. So for me it's not a" fad" I do miss real bread and am guilty of the occasional croissant or slice of sourdough. . And I know I've had it! Luckily it's not life threatening just blooming uncomfortable for a day or two. I'm thankful for that.
But as I said I was thinking of the food miles of what we eat with simple everyday items such as lemons and pepper paprika .... I could go on with a list as long as my arm. I must admit my first thought about Janne comment about eating British apples got my back up a bit... how dare someone from a foreign country who imports everything tell me what I should be eating!!!!! But it's not just British we should be eating but local .
Doesn’t solve the spices and citrus problem though. Just imagine your diet without tea or coffee or jam (most sugar is imported ) or many other items we take for granted without a thought about their origin . We'd be back to a pre medieval diet. !
I think due to my foraging and veg garden produce, I'm allowed a few food miles for other things.! :)
These things are not solved overnight... so in answer to the previous rather "warm" post give it a chance. You cannot use water cannon to dissolve a peaceful protest. We are not China or Russia. And name calling doesn't help nor does picky critisism of their clothing or mobile phones.
Change takes time and meanwhile we have to use what we have to do what we can.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
My point was about imported foods and food miles. I said cous cous but I probably meant quinoa. As has been said the food miles for that and the problem it causes for the people who have grown and eaten it for thousands of years not being able to afford it anymore is something to take into account. I eat neither of these grains as I don't like them. I can eat oats, and I buy Scottish oats.
Gluten free has become a fad for some true but the proliferation of gluten free products in store has been a godsend for many others. I used to worry about cross contamination and spend hours scrutinising labels. It turned a shopping trip into a whole afternoons stress.
I'm not coeliac but I have a friend who is and one with crohns so cooking for them is important to get it right.
I discovered my own intolerance after watching them and having symptom discussions with them and knowing my own digestive tract problems decided to give it a go and the transformation of my gut health was amazing. If I eat wheat I get problems within hours. So for me it's not a" fad" I do miss real bread and am guilty of the occasional croissant or slice of sourdough. . And I know I've had it! Luckily it's not life threatening just blooming uncomfortable for a day or two. I'm thankful for that.
But as I said I was thinking of the food miles of what we eat with simple everyday items such as lemons and pepper paprika .... I could go on with a list as long as my arm. I must admit my first thought about Janne comment about eating British apples got my back up a bit... how dare someone from a foreign country who imports everything tell me what I should be eating!!!!! But it's not just British we should be eating but local .
Doesn’t solve the spices and citrus problem though. Just imagine your diet without tea or coffee or jam (most sugar is imported ) or many other items we take for granted without a thought about their origin . We'd be back to a pre medieval diet. !
I think due to my foraging and veg garden produce, I'm allowed a few food miles for other things.! :)
These things are not solved overnight... so in answer to the previous rather "warm" post give it a chance. You cannot use water cannon to dissolve a peaceful protest. We are not China or Russia. And name calling doesn't help nor does picky critisism of their clothing or mobile phones.
Change takes time and meanwhile we have to use what we have to do what we can.

I never said water cannon and public order. That’s civil unrest. I just said fire brigade and hose. And if anyone does as result of a delay for emergency vehicles then they should all be, or at least the organisers charged with manslaughter.

Of course the criticism of their clothing and mobile phones comes into it! If they want us to live by the rules they want, they should do so. Lead by example. They can’t claim all these target goals and demand we wipe entire industries out while they are acting like hypocritical morons with no thought to anything.

Where’s the criticism of the largest polluting countries?
Where’s the “peaceful” protests in China, Africa, India?
When is Greta away to gob off at the chinese Government? When’s her trip to Africa?
Why are her parents involved with or support the terrorist organisation antifa?

All these celebrities coming out in support of it yet they have fancy sports cars and private jets, and these middle class professional protests are kicking off?

No. It’s not peaceful. They have no support of the public, the public are turning on them. They are total idiots.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
One large step for a better World is to eat locally or in-country produced food.
The farmer community will flourish, long distance food importation will go down.

My young country girl Greta, I wonder how she travels between her talks? Surely she does not walk or use a horse?

I wonder why she does not use a tele conference system, from her home in Stockholm.
That would be the least environment damaging way of communication?

Reactions: Bootfox

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I never said water cannon and public order. That’s civil unrest. I just said fire brigade and hose. And if anyone does as result of a delay for emergency vehicles then they should all be, or at least the organisers charged with manslaughter.

Of course the criticism of their clothing and mobile phones comes into it! If they want us to live by the rules they want, they should do so. Lead by example. They can’t claim all these target goals and demand we wipe entire industries out while they are acting like hypocritical morons with no thought to anything.

Where’s the criticism of the largest polluting countries?
Where’s the “peaceful” protests in China, Africa, India?
When is Greta away to gob off at the chinese Government? When’s her trip to Africa?
Why are her parents involved with or support the terrorist organisation antifa?

All these celebrities coming out in support of it yet they have fancy sports cars and private jets, and these middle class professional protests are kicking off?

No. It’s not peaceful. They have no support of the public, the public are turning on them. They are total idiots.
Well you might be ... but many more are joining daily. So crusty hypercritical middle class morans are gaining a lot of support. It's easy to criticise and pick holes in peoples behaviour. Mr or mrs righteously indignant from somewhere in cosy middle England is never going to agree as the the changes that are needed are massive and will make life less cosy and complacent. It's the only way they have to save "all they have worked for to provide a comfortable lifesyle" and who would not be worried about a threat to that?
We have some hard facts to face soon, and if changes are not made voluntarily they will be forced upon us by nature itself.
I could take offence at your name calling. I am not a middle class person, or a crusty or a moron. But I will not as this realy is not the place to do that.. being a family friendly forum.
We all have different views but please be a little more circumspect with your language my dear.
It's OK to discuss this reasonably and politely but getting hot under the collar and being rude about people will have the mods closing this thread down and silencing the others who can speak reasonably.
There are plenty of other on line places to vent your frustration with like minded people without upsetting others who are trying to have a measured and politely conversation about admitted a very controversial issue.

Last edited:

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
Well you might be ... but many more are joining daily. So crusty hypercritical middle class morans are gaining a lot of support. It's easy to criticise and pick holes in peoples behaviour. Mr or mrs righteously indignant from somewhere in cosy middle England is never going to agree as the the changes that are needed are massive and will make life less cosy and complacent. It's the only way they have to save "all they have worked for to provide a comfortable lifesyle" and who would not be worried about a threat to that?
We have some hard facts to face soon, and if changes are not made voluntarily they will be forced upon us by nature itself.
I could take offence at your name calling. I am not a middle class person, or a crusty or a moron. But I will not as this realy is not the place to do that.. being a family friendly forum.
We all have different views but please be a little more circumspect with your language my dear.
It's OK to discuss this reasonably and politely but getting hot under the collar and being rude about people will have the mods closing this thread down and silencing the others who can speak reasonably.
There are plenty of other on line places to vent your frustration with like minded people without upsetting others who are trying to have a measured and politely conversation about admitted a very controversial issue.

They are losing support and people are dragging them off the roads and trains because they are being held up.

Of course we should be picking holes in their behaviour, how can they justify the changes they are demanding when they can’t even do it themselves? So they disrupt everyone else just trying to get in with their lives.

They are blocking emergency vehicles and creating delays, this is not excusable. I’ve already posted videos and evidence and there’s more out there to completely destroy their claims and exaggerations, it’s nothing but scaremongering and fear. Where’s the protests in China, Africa and India? The biggest polluters in the world?

The changes they want won’t make a blind bit of difference partly because there are other big fish out there. We are just the ones weak enough to put up with their crap. Notnto mention the science is debated, contested and some of it proved wrong.

You don’t have to tell me about working for a comfortable life, I’ve dedicated my life to the service of others and this country and for my troubles I ended up homeless at one point and now I have some jumped up art students gobbing off and trying to tell me how to live my life based off lose facts and scaremongering information that’s been cherry picked to fit their agenda? I don’t think sos Please see the afore mentioned videos I posted.

They are hypocritical morons.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I must admit my first thought about Janne comment about eating British apples got my back up a bit... how dare someone from a foreign country who imports everything tell me what I should be eating!!!!! But it's not just British we should be eating but local .

Having lived in UK, being married to a Brit, having a son born in UK, educated for all education ( from Kindergarten to Uni, except two years here and two years in Canada) in UK, having a British passport, a Passport earned by living, obeying most laws, paying taxes, plus, at the moment, living in a British Overseas Territory.....
What?

Yes, I could have written 'Sweden" instead of' Britain', but then somebody would point out this is a British forum....

Rant over....

Why do you use the term 'Middle class' as something derogatory? These people are paying the majority of taxes in UK ( and everywhere else!!!) which go to, amongst other expenses, supporting the poorer! Benefits! You know what benefits are? They are money gifted by the tax payer.

The problem with the ER protests is that due to the disruption to the working people ( of all classes!) people are turning their opinions AGAINST them. Sure, some support them.

These kind of protests ( against the G meetings, these ones, anti oil exploration in Norway, you name them) are not supported by the vast majority of the population. Strangely enough, it is very much the same people touring the Democratic countries, participating in these kind of events.

In this case, the only thing these people are achieving is a negative perception of work that needs to be done to save our Environment.
Not only the British one, but the World wide one.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I don't have a computer ..or a tv..... or a car... or many other things. Yes I have a bike with a 2,000 miles per year limit as part of my insurance agreement. I've only done 500 miles or so this year. I no longer buy supermarket veg or meat wrapped in plastic. Or take a plastic bag when offered. I even say no to paper bags now as I've made some reusable muslin ones... milk I use a reusable glass bottles. now that's realy trying. Each week I try to change something. Even started making my own toothpaste. Never more than one light on at a time.often walk round the house with a head torch on rather than switch on a light. If we all try then yes we can have an impact. If we all shrug our shoulders and say it's not worth it as everyone else is keeping on doing the same thing so my efforts will not matter then that's either defeatist or lazy. Educate your family and neighbours. It may take time but lead by example and you are on the way to winning. There will always be people who think that just recycling will be enough and are proud of themselves but just look at their overflowing general rubbish bin and it tells a different story!
Taking the plastic off a cauliflower and giving it back does not save plastic at that moment true... but it sends the message that it is not wanted to the company. They provide it... they bear the cost of disposal. If everyone did it then they would think twice! And the problem will be solved. All my friends do it now, and actually taken any veg shopping to a new greengrocer that has opened up with a zero plastic bag policy... so make your voice heard and it may take a bit of time but it does work. I've been asked to make some of my muslin bags to sell in the shop for his customers. So a year of walking my talk has had results and gained me a small amount of income into the bargain.. win win. What permenant changes have you made in your community ?
Well, you do have a computer.... That is why you can post. Maybe you call it a Mobile phone.

That is exactly what we have to do, showing the manufacturers ( and importers?) and shops what we do not like, and what we do like.
No unnecessary plastic. No junk imported. Locally produced food.
Now, Christmas time, is one of those times when huge amount of utter crap is transported all across the world. Mostly made from plastic.
Toys that last only a few weeks, at best.

Your request for what permanent changes we have made is interesting. Shall we start a new thread, one where we can give each other (maybe, hopefully) useful ideas?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Personally I was not calling anyone a middle class moron... just quoting the terminology of Bootfox. Having gently asked for such terminology not to be used he goes and does it again in his very next post. Seems I was too gentle or he wasn't listening because he's too angry.
I'm happy to debate but not if this sort of language continues.
Name calling is a sign of someone who has already lost the debate.
Sorry folks but I'm leaving this thread as I just don't want to put up with this sort of thing and yes I would say the same if I were not sympathetic to the cause. Anyone who calls people of all walks of life including children and women names is not someone I'd like to have a conversation with. I'm the same with racial and theological topics. Debate kindly or shut up!
By the way Janne what I said about a foreigner telling me what to eat was a momentary thought.. but stopping to think about it, I actually agree with a good deal of what you said, .. and said so.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So shall we put an end to this thread and do one about our own environmental (saving) actions?
Other people's ideas can be useful to know.

Sorry if I thought it was you that was derogatory.

Ah, theology, you guys should hear my beliefs........:)
A Vatican guy my dad knew before they left this life was my best discussion partner..

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, you do have a computer.... That is why you can post. Maybe you call it a Mobile phone.

That is exactly what we have to do, showing the manufacturers ( and importers?) and shops what we do not like, and what we do like.
No unnecessary plastic. No junk imported. Locally produced food.
Now, Christmas time, is one of those times when huge amount of utter crap is transported all across the world. Mostly made from plastic.
Toys that last only a few weeks, at best.

Your request for what permanent changes we have made is interesting. Shall we start a new thread, one where we can give each other (maybe, hopefully) useful ideas?
Good idea Janne. I'm not having presents this year unless they are...
A-plastic free including wrappings.
B- home made.
C- recycled or second hand.
D- natural foliage decorations or home made ones .
E- I will not have a tree but painted branches stuck into a pot and decorated with afore mentioned items. Did it last year and it was beautiful and often remarked on by visitors.
F- food... I'm going to buy a couple of treats including smoked salmon and a few bars of chocolate to make my own special chocolates with. But everything else will be home produced... except the sprouts as I had no room to grow them., and I'm having a nut roast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE