Knives made from Fallkniven S1 blade blanks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm thinking of using a knife made from a Fallkniven S1 blank as my day to day beater, has anyone here used such a knife and if so, what are your thoughts?

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
i've no experience with them myself but i've never read or heard anything bad about fallkniven knives. I was thinking of getting a wm1. As its a fairly cheap fallkniven, it could be a good way trying their knives. Not sure about the convex grind yet though. We'll see :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
My favourite forest knife mate.
Good size, tuff as old boots, easy to sharpen ( glass paper over my strop, followed by a good stropping, but you know all of that... )
Best.
Chris.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've had an S1 for quite a few years. Smashing knife, and as Chris says, it seems a perfect size. Just a little longer than the average which is great for battening, and a touch more blade heavy to allow a degree of chopping.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
As others have said, it's a good, strong, practical knife, bomb proof build quality and a better grind for wood related work than an F1 for example.

I moved on a few different Falkies but the one I kept was the S1 which isn't going anywhere :)

Cheers, Paul

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
I'm seriously considering purchasing an S1 blank, and doing my own scales and sheath.. trouble is - i cant seem to find any bolts/rods of diameter 5.5mm and tubes of diameter 6.5mm; which leaves me stuck, unless i want to cord wrap it.. which to me is not an option as i find those handles very uncomfortable and aesthetically unpleasing. So, has anyone here made their own custom S1, or know where i can find tubes/rods/bolts of 5.5mm and 6.5mm diameter? (Im getting these dimensions from Fallkniven's site, on the page of the S1 Blank)

Cheers
Ed

leon-1

I'm seriously considering purchasing an S1 blank, and doing my own scales and sheath.. trouble is - i cant seem to find any bolts/rods of diameter 5.5mm and tubes of diameter 6.5mm; which leaves me stuck, unless i want to cord wrap it.. which to me is not an option as i find those handles very uncomfortable and aesthetically unpleasing. So, has anyone here made their own custom S1, or know where i can find tubes/rods/bolts of 5.5mm and 6.5mm diameter? (Im getting these dimensions from Fallkniven's site, on the page of the S1 Blank)

Cheers
Ed

Try looking at Texas knife supply, Alpha Knife Supply or knifekits.com. I have purchased from all of them before now. You will have to convert the sizes from imperial to metric, but the sizes they have will do the job. Search for hidden bolts, loveless bolts, pins and tubing.

You should be able to get all you need from KnifeKits.com

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
You dont need pins and tubes the same exact width as the tang holes, smaller ones would work fine , use plenty of epoxy to fill the gaps around the hole. As long as the pins are a tight fit in the scales that's what counts, don't drill the thinner holes in the middle of the big tang hole thoe, offset it close to the side of the hole to eliminate movement when gluing.
Hope you understood What I have just prattled on about!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
You dont need pins and tubes the same exact width as the tang holes, smaller ones would work fine , use plenty of epoxy to fill the gaps around the hole. As long as the pins are a tight fit in the scales that's what counts, don't drill the thinner holes in the middle of the big tang hole thoe, offset it close to the side of the hole to eliminate movement when gluing.
Hope you understood What I have just prattled on about!

what he said

would also love to know what bushcraft you get up to on Malta - love the island

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
Cheers guys, a great help!

haha, well regarding bushcraft here, its quite different from the UK (I was raised there and joined Beavers when i was 5, so thats why i love it) In the winter hikes are good due to cool winds and rain, and there's lots of greenery, but as far as woods go - there's one place I know of - Mizieb (above Xemxija, on the north of the Island, on the way to Mellieha Bay, if you know where im on about.) Its pine and olive woodland made for bird hunters, so ive done over nighters over there with my DD Frontline Hammock and tarp (tarp in winter only). the sea offers loads of bushcraft activities - fishing, diving, snorkling, harpooning, distillation is possible which is pretty cool :p The S1 would satisfy all my needs, especially getting a fire going in winter - with the humidity, snowy weather feels warmer than a 5degree night, so you need a fire all night unless you got a tent; thats a lot of wood.

Thanks guys for the help
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE