Knife-saw, Knife-axe, and what knife to go?

B

Bushnoob

Hi all!

I am very new to these forums and quite new to Bushcraft, maybe half a year now, but never to serious until recently :)

So I have odd days where I want to bring only 2 tools and I was wondering what your combination might be?

A Laplander folding saw or a Wildlife hatchet (Wetterlings or GB)

And a knife of choice

An Enzo trapper Scandi, Rat rc-4 or a 6"+ survival knife.

So you have to choose to bring a knife and a saw or a hatchet, what would your combo be and why? What task would be more important? Safety included.

Please respond it would help me think a bit more about my combo!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I would chose saw over axe in this case:
1. I care a lot about weight.
2. I would not think of carving while out.
3. No shelter projects in mind..

You can use saw for fire wood and use your knife for splitting it. I like my axe when doing a bit of carving it helps a great deal and has a lot of uses for campcraft projects like shelters ect. I dont care about weight and always take both.... :)

Best of luck

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
If I had the choice I'd take all three. (knife, saw + hatchet)

But if you only want to take two it would have to be a saw and knife every time.

Knife wise - it depends on what you plan on doing. - the 6" survival knife isn't going to be great at carving. But if you are like me and do very little carving when you are out and about then that isn't an issue.

I'd probably go for the RC4 personally.

Andy

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Carrying a saw and/or axe? Then a small knife. On trips where I only take a knife - well, still a small knife :)
I found out over the years that it is more cumbersome to carry a knife that does small jobs clumsy than the other way around.

So, most of the time it is a Bison Bushcrafter for me. Fits my hand well enough to stop whining about that part , good whittler, decent small game cleaner and build to last. The whole package including a firesteel weights about as much as a larger knife. What more does a person want?

-Emile

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
my ideal and pretty much consistant belt combo is my Enzo trapper or Puukko and my 8.3" Leuku.

the puukko or enzo are perfect for woodwork, they have hard edges and are kept ridiculously sharp, used for slicing and craftwork.

the leuku is my battoning, chopping foodprep, clearing brush ect knife, it has in the hands of my freind taken down a 8" wide ash tree, not quite as good for chopping as an axe, but a hell of a lot lighter and more versitile.

with the two knives at my belt i can cover pretty much any task i need to unless its harvesting lots of firewood (massive logs to burn all night) in which case i use a Fiskars hatchet or a bowsaw

Last edited:
E

ex member coconino

I generally carry a cheapo bush knife, a Laplander saw and a small hatchet. This weekend I was coppicing in my friends’ wood and on one stool of Hornbeam I ended up using the Laplander to fell about twenty poles, from about two- to five inches thickness and maybe twenty foot tall, which would have been possible but exhausting with the small hatchet. I then used both the saw and the hatchet to process it into lengths and faggots. I think I only used the knife for cutting the string to bale the faggots. On another day the tasks will be different and the balance will weigh in favour of the knife. In the end, much as a hatchet is nice to use, I'd probably choose saw and knife, just because the saw is so energy-efficient to use... but it has to be a good saw, like the Laplander.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE