Knife restration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have finally got round to sorting a Christmas present from two years ago :eek:

PICT0207.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

I don't know how old it is, but I really like it and would like to make it usable, I think it would be great for foraging and for use in the garden.
I have put an edge on it using wet'n'dry, a mouse mat and the handle of a hammer - it worked a treat. But with handling it I noticed that the scales are a bit dry and there are gaps between the scales and the metal. If I sanded and oiled them would they swell to close the gap? The other thing I noticed is that the hingy jointy thing that is the blade is also loose so that the blade wobbles from side to side

PICT0215.jpg

It is a bit rusty in places, especially on the inside. I have removed most of it with wet'n'dry but there are still patches of rust that I can't reach. I have used a bit of WD40 to try and stop it rusting further.
Do I have to take it apart and rebuild it? if so how? :dunno:

Cheers

Andy

Why does the title not change when I have edited it? It was only a spelling mistake!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE