Knife making question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I'm going to be be picking up my blades at the weekend ready to make my first knives.

My question is - What is the best way to protect the blade while the knife is being constructed?

The last thing I want is a scratched up blade. So how do you do it???

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I cover the blade in electrician's tape or duct tape. Not to protect the blade really, just to stop it cutting me whilst I'm working on it :)

I always finish up with minor scratches and marks. Usually they either get ground out when the final edge is put on the blade, or they can be polished out with increasingly fine wet'n'dry then strop with a polishing compound.

HTH
Rat

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use masking tape then duct tape on top, the masking tape is easier to get off, usually comes off when you take off the duct tape!

Cheers,

Alan

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I was thinking along those lines.
Masking tape first is a good idea as it is made to be removed easily.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I see duct taping the blade has been mentioned(and again!:eek:)Another thing that i do is any filing or sanding done on the blade i use a piece of leather 1-2mm thick between the blade and whatever im using to clamp it, ie vice or g-cramp ect..
You can get fibre jaws for a vice that are a good investment.Show us the results when youre done?!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE