Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No rush. :) I cant do them all individually, so will need to do one batch when everyone has sent theirs to me ( presuming more want it doing. :))

Shouldn't be an issue with the steel.

hi hillbill can you send the details of where to send the knife blade please
and what happened to the list i started i liked being first lol
and i don't know what the blade steel is.the history is i went to the knife show in 2010 and there was a knife maker showing us all how to make the blade from stock steel i bought the finished blank of him for a tenner regards dave

Last edited:

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Out of curiosity, what am I? An amateur or a pro knife maker? It's not my day job but I have sold knives I've made.

Also, any criteria for the knife or just a total free for all on design, apart from the cost limit? What's the judging based on?

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi stew...i believe that would pretty much make you semi-pro (from an inland revenue point of view)....especially if you made them to sell. pro is if its your main occupation which (should) provide income to be used to pay for your living. i think in this case you'd be amateur unless youve sold say many dozens of knives.

Out of curiosity, what am I? An amateur or a pro knife maker? It's not my day job but I have sold knives I've made.

Also, any criteria for the knife or just a total free for all on design, apart from the cost limit? What's the judging based on?

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I hope its a free for all design wise, i was getting all creative. :D

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I would like to join in on this, but not sure of how I'd do it yet! Guess I could get a blank of O1 and send to Hillbill for heat-treat or use a premade blank. But I like upcycling, so...

Would modifying an old blade into something totally new count? By that I mean say a large blade (say billhook or whatever from a carboot) totally reshaped and rehandled count?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I would like to join in on this, but not sure of how I'd do it yet! Guess I could get a blank of O1 and send to Hillbill for heat-treat or use a premade blank. But I like upcycling, so...

Would modifying an old blade into something totally new count? By that I mean say a large blade (say billhook or whatever from a carboot) totally reshaped and rehandled count?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup ok....but i can see....for example....a billhook ending up as some massive chopper type knife....tom has ''knives'' that have massive 'wow' factor and they are incredible....ive seen one of his competition knives....well its not really a knife....more like a bazooka....this sorta thing will affect peoples vote....in all honesty if i saw toms comp knife in with a load of other 'woodies' i'd only have eyes for the bazooka sized elephant mutilating beast that it is. its fantastic. but a 'knife'....dunno....maybe should be ''woodie'' style thru to clipper boundary....i'm kool either way but the word billhook opens up the imagination a little yeah?....if the word 'file' had been used then i'd be thinking 'knife'

As long as it ends up as a knife...

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
okies....because when does a knife become a sword?....when does a knife become a chopper or machete?....and so on. my knife would be in the not made own blade cat too yeah?....but if something like a billhook is used to make a 'knife' then my already feeble attempt would probably pale into total insignificance next to it....how about setting a dimension limit?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
okies....because when does a knife become a sword?....when does a knife become a chopper or machete?....and so on. my knife would be in the not made own blade cat too yeah?....but if something like a billhook is used to make a 'knife' then my already feeble attempt would probably pale into total insignificance next to it....how about setting a dimension limit?

Size aint everything - I'm making a tiny whittler. Don't sweat it.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
thats very good mark.....lol!

seriously tho...i'm even more confused....theres a 'not made own blade' section? if i bought a billhook....and used it to make a knife blade....then i'd've only really half-made my own blade wouldnt i?....but seeings i bought it....and seeings it was already halfway there anyway....wouldnt it go in the purchased blade section?

1 own made blade
2 purchased blade
3 pro knife maker

maybe i'm too old for this lol...i've just gone back over 3 pages and i cant see a cat. change

When its called a sword, chopper or machete :D

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
thats very good mark.....lol!

seriously tho...i'm even more confused....theres a 'not made own blade' section? if i bought a billhook....and used it to make a knife blade....then i'd've only really half-made my own blade wouldnt i?....but seeings i bought it....and seeings it was already halfway there anyway....wouldnt it go in the purchased blade section?

1 own made blade
2 purchased blade
3 pro knife maker

maybe i'm too old for this lol...i've just gone back over 3 pages and i cant see a cat. change

Perhaps:
Purchased/refurbished/Modified
Own blade (Amateur or pro)

Assuming all pro's would use their own blades.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
do be doo.....dammit i'm on my missus' laptop and i keep posting up wrong bear with me...ok mountain that makes more sense but again i think a size limit might be an idea....a whittlers a knife....a sandviks a knife....the polar sticks are knives....woodies are knives and maybe a little larger but after that it sorta blurs into other things...a 2 foot long bowie is a knife but as i said simply because of its size it has added wow factor and that changes things. as 'bushcrafters' i feel we should be talking bushcraft-ish knives....not monster bowie 'knives'

i guess i'm not helping here though i'm trying to....gonna turn into another embossing plates saga....i'll shut up.

Size aint everything - I'm making a tiny whittler. Don't sweat it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE