Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lolololol.....dude you still owe me a violin smiley!!!!

this is pure evil though! i wish i could do my own blade.....its not gonna be possible for me. i can handle one sure but i'm just gutted i'm not yet at the stage to do the whole thing. gutted.

and gutted. not that my first attempt would even win a plaster (and boy do i need a few lol!) leave alone a first aid kit but i'd just like to be able to do the whole thing.

but yeah i'm up for it i guess.....life has stripped me of all pride in this last coupla years so yeah itll be fun and we'll all learn.

s

Come on Sonni, are you in? Might even give you sympathy for any blisters or injuries you receive. :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Couldn't you ask Tom to help with the blade? He may let you play in his workshop :)

Violin smiley, yep not forgotten, reminded every time i see you post :lmao: :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So who's in then?

1, Man of Tanith
2, Brancho ????
3, XAnder???
4, Bucephalas
5, HillBill
6, MountainM ???
7, Dave53.......HT needed
8, Bushwackerbob??
9, Angst????

Sorry Sam, not trying to take over mate :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yeah m8 he would but.....i like to do stuff myself with my own things you know?.....find out in my own way.....toms a legendary guru and i couldnt ask for anyone better to be in my corner.....and whenever i've asked a question of him i aways get help however.....for instance....the first knife i ever handled....a mammoth blades bushman....i went round his with steve....we picked up our bits.....tom told us basically what to do....and referred us to his tutorial on his website....and then we got on with it....i dont like to hassle anyone, especially someone as busy as him....unless i really need to....feels like cheating....and to be honest, i like to make mistakes, best way to learn. the second knife i handled (bog oak, 2 sets of liners, 2 mosaics and a corby) i didnt refer to the tutorial (or anything else) at all....cra*ped me pants the whole way thru and even though i thought i'd bitten off more than i could chew it held up and worked and to this day is my primary user (the first ones put aside for my son)....since then i've met all you guys and i listen and read and try to take all the diff permutations in and figure out my own way from all of it....

since that first bushman a year ago i dont think i've ever asked tom for help (like using his workshop) even once....despite the fact i'd happily move in there permanently lolol....there have been loads!!! of times i nearly phoned him up for a quick easy answer but didnt....managed to source it myself. as you know i've recently used some softer woods and have started using oils rather than polishing compounds....i posted on here first and was told linseed....perfectly good advice....and then one of the other knifemakers mentioned danish oil (sir perrari).....i happened to be round toms last week and noticed he had danish too so i asked him later by email.....within an hour i had his answer and from now on it'll be danish for me...its on its way in post now...

thats how i like it....i couldve just phoned/emailed tom from the start...but i'd be picking his brain every day....

instead i come on here and nag you lot.....come on, you love it!

s

ps.....tom...is it ok if i come round and you make a knife for me...i mean, help me make a knife please?

pps....i dont mean to overly blow toms trumpet here cos he'll get a big head but.....would it really be fair for me to even do that?.....most of the 'amateurs' dont have someone like tom to guide them

Couldn't you ask Tom to help with the blade? He may let you play in his workshop :)

Violin smiley, yep not forgotten, reminded every time i see you post :lmao: :)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use danish oil too :) And you are supposed to oil then buff ;) Not one or the other :)

I still think if you had the opportunity for a few pointers and chance to use the proper tools, then you should go for it, even if just for this competition. Its a lot easier than you think when you have a workshop dedicated to it. :)

Also remember, that once you have had a crack at making a blade, you will better know what kit you would need to make your own :)

yeah m8 he would but.....i like to do stuff myself with my own things you know?.....find out in my own way.....toms a legendary guru and i couldnt ask for anyone better to be in my corner.....and whenever i've asked a question of him i aways get help however.....for instance....the first knife i ever handled....a mammoth blades bushman....i went round his with steve....we picked up our bits.....tom told us basically what to do....and referred us to his tutorial on his website....and then we got on with it....i dont like to hassle anyone, especially someone as busy as him....unless i really need to....feels like cheating....and to be honest, i like to make mistakes, best way to learn. the second knife i handled (bog oak, 2 sets of liners, 2 mosaics and a corby) i didnt refer to the tutorial (or anything else) at all....cra*ped me pants the whole way thru and even though i thought i'd bitten off more than i could chew it held up and worked and to this day is my primary user (the first ones put aside for my son)....since then i've met all you guys and i listen and read and try to take all the diff permutations in and figure out my own way from all of it....

since that first bushman a year ago i dont think i've ever asked tom for help (like using his workshop) even once....despite the fact i'd happily move in there permanently lolol....there have been loads!!! of times i nearly phoned him up for a quick easy answer but didnt....managed to source it myself. as you know i've recently used some softer woods and have started using oils rather than polishing compounds....i posted on here first and was told linseed....perfectly good advice....and then one of the other knifemakers mentioned danish oil (sir perrari).....i happened to be round toms last week and noticed he had danish too so i asked him later by email.....within an hour i had his answer and from now on it'll be danish for me...its on its way in post now...

thats how i like it....i couldve just phoned/emailed tom from the start...but i'd be picking his brain every day....

instead i come on here and nag you lot.....come on, you love it!

s

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
sorry...i edited and added this bit on after...

pps....i dont mean to overly blow toms trumpet here cos he'll get a big head but.....would it really be fair for me to even do that?.....most of the 'amateurs' dont have someone like tom to guide them

yep i'm gettin ya....but i've seen the kit....i dribble and drool over it whenever i'm at toms....i just cant afford it m8.

at this rate you'll owe me 2 violins lol!

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well there are 2 catagories, you could enter in the "made blade" bit if you dont feel you have done enough :)

sorry...i edited and added this bit on after...

yep i'm gettin ya....but i've seen the kit....i dribble and drool over it whenever i'm at toms....i just cant afford it m8.

at this rate you'll owe me 2 violins lol!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yeah ok i'm in....so i can just photograph each of my projects i do from now till then and enter whichever i decide nearer the time? is that kool?....i started my latest a coupla nights ago and its already assembled so thats not allowed i'm presuming as i needed pics of the bits....annoying! lol

a

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE