Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I shall do this competition next time. Its took me a year to learn to sharpen a knife let alone make one. But hey tonight i shaved hairs so im happy. I can also recommend Sal's lemon biscuits as cooked at the RC meet. Delightful fare :approve:

Some stunning entries so far, you should all be very proud.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Oh go on then :) As highly recommended by Man of Tanith and Mesquite for cooking in camp.... heres my auld mams recipe for Lemon Biscuits :)

25-30 50-60 (3x 20 roll)
6oz Butter 12oz
8oz Plain flour 1 lb
4oz Granulated sugar 8oz
1 ½ oz Granulated sugar to coat 2oz
1 Lemon ( ½ the juice and all of the rind) 2 rind, 1 juice
Coarsely granulated sugar or demerera to roll (OPTIONAL)
  • Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind together.
  • Stir in the flour and lemon juice.
  • Knead the mix as a dough and form into a rolled sausage 1 or 2, each 1 ½ -2” diameter, roll in coarsely granulated sugar, then cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for ½ hr. It will keep in the fridge for about 3 days so can be cooked daily. Freeze if liked at this stage.
  • Grease and flour a baking sheet and cut the roll into ¼ “ rounds. Place onto the sheet allowing a good 2” space between them as they do spread during cooking.
  • Bake at GM5 (190 Celsius or 375 Fahrenheit) for 15 mins, turning half way through until lightly browned at the edges.
Apologies for the poor formatting- the smaller quantity is before the ingredients, the larger quantity is after the ingredients, if you wanna try the recipe, it is yummy :)

C'mon, mr mountainman! I'm determined to swamp this page so it goes away and we can get back on with the business of cooing over shineys!!

That sounds awfully tasty I think I'll give that one a go in the near future, who would have thought to find this superb bit of info in a knife competition XD
Yours sincerely Ruud

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
That sounds awfully tasty I think I'll give that one a go in the near future, who would have thought to find this superb bit of info in a knife competition XD
Yours sincerely Ruud
Yeah, it's a great recipe, bit of a family staple and a lovely camping treat cooked in a dutchy :) Give it a go! I think I should stop my threadjack now, before I get in trouble from the Man ;)

I was looking for the blank I'd cut before I had to withdraw from the comp but luckily, I've lost it.... which is good because if I'd've left any trace of illicit metalwork in hubbys garage, it may have ended in divorce... safer to stick to biscuitmaking! ;)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Go on then, add my name to the list, dunno if Ill make the deadline, but Ill give it a go.....

Complete amateur, 1st attempt, from scratch......eeeek! ive ordered a length of 01 steel plate......

Paul (paulnb57)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've added you, Paul, please check I got the right section :) I'll leave any other alterations required to the thread originator.... hey, best of luck with it, first knives are soooo special, you'll be hooked! (oh btw if you need heat treatment, check early on in the thread, there was someone up for doing a batch :) )

Made own blade

1, abominable_scouse_monster
2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, southey
7, leighwill
8, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.
9, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)
10, capt.dunc
11, Paulnb57

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave
9, BeerHunter
10, PyroPhil

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
This thread has gotten a little.....busy. Could we possibly start a new one in which the only posts to be added are the list, and folks entries? And keep the chatter for this one maybe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE