Knife for mother in law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Just finished a knife and sheath for my mother in law. She's quite a keen carver and an avid camper. I hope it serves her well.

9107e017-4fb7-a0f6.jpg

9107e021-4fde-7c68.jpg

9107e00d-4fff-f6f9.jpg

Best regards.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
looks nice - wondered what I was going to read then - knife for mother in law.

Is that a long handle for blade - just curious?

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Very nice job Jorn.
I made a knife for my mother-in-law, but she never has her back turned long enough for me to give it to her :naughty:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That blade is just long enough to deal with my mother in law, miserable old git that she is, but the handle is far to nice to ruin with her ice cold blood.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I fell like a right git, choosing a thread title like that. But... it did make me chuckle:lmao:.
I happen to like my mother-in-law. I did have my fair share of potential ones which made me wonder where they'd kept the broom and cauldron.

Keep it coming.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice work! I assume it's a gift? That leads to a question; is it also a custom/superstition over there to give a coin (such as a penny) along with any sharp object given as a gift?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like those knives with a good sized handle but small blade, mostly because I don't often need a full on huge blade but still have fairly big hands.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've heard about that, but since i've not actually forged the knife i think i should be fine.

It is a Lauri 77, well spotted Brancho!

As far as I know it doesn't matter whether the giver made the sharp or bought it. It's just a custom or superstition (believed that not doing so will cut the relationship) though so I suppose there could be endless variations.

I was just curious how widespread the idea is?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
is it also a custom/superstition over there to give a coin (such as a penny) along with any sharp object given as a gift?
I thought it was the other way round : That you should always give a coin in return for a knife, lest the friendship be cut?

I think there was something about if you give a purse or wallet to someone you should put a coin in it first..... I'll have to check with me gran :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought it was the other way round : That you should always give a coin in return for a knife, lest the friendship be cut?

I think there was something about if you give a purse or wallet to someone you should put a coin in it first..... I'll have to check with me gran :)

LOL. As I said, there's probably endless variations. And the one about the purse sounds familiar to me too.

Gythral

Jul 5, 2012
Highlands

I remember being told that a purse or wallet should always be gifted with some money in it so that it would never be empty...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Yup - those are the ones I know too!
When I went to coll to study fashion (true - very true) I bought a set of Wilkinson Sword sewing shears, blade tuner and embroidery snips ... and they came with a bright new penny so that if you got the set as a gift you could give the penny to the person giving you the set - even if you were litterally a "peniless student"!
Nice knife and sheath combo :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE