knee injuries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Not had anything like that, but I feel for you mate! Hope it all goes good for you! :)

Last edited:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Three ops to remove bits of cartilage and one to repair my anterior cruciate ligament, all on the right knee.

It did stop me covering any distance for a while, but I built up slowly and now cover up to 18miles in a day. Going up hill isn't too bad, but coming down can hurt a bit.

I found that if I thought it would stop me, it did...positive mental attitude is the key.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
think i twisted it at work last year sometime. Did skiddaw, one weekend chieviots next then a wild camp at skiddaw summit couple of weeks later. Knee swelled, and took ages to go down. Had to go for a mri scan, gp said ten minute keyhole would fix it. But no mine had to be worse. If they operate they will havebto remove half the cartlidge, so im leaving it for now. Been for a bit physio, he said it seems ok for now.
Wait till new year, go for a longish walk, and see if it swells again.
He thinks all the walks in such a short space highlighted it, Cant remember injuring badly.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Three ops to remove bits of cartilage and one to repair my anterior cruciate ligament, all on the right knee.

It did stop me covering any distance for a while, but I built up slowly and now cover up to 18miles in a day. Going up hill isn't too bad, but coming down can hurt a bit.

I found that if I thought it would stop me, it did...positive mental attitude is the key.
Thats great mate, many thanks for posting this, just what i wanted to read, short and often, and build it up. Physio was a keen hilwalker, and said he would help as much as he could.
It may be i may have to put up with a few weeks swelling and discomfort, for every walk but at least ill get out.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Ouch! sorry to hear of your predicament. Can they give you any long term help?

Was visiting friends in Market Rasen almost 6 years ago, when I was walking back from the pub and slipped on ice and broke my ankle . Lincoln Hospital put me in plaster but it was really uncomfortable and I kept getting stabbing pains. Went to see my mother on way back to Scotland and called into Barnsley Hospital because pain was so bad. They told me it was set wrong so set it right. Got back to Aberdeen and went to see the hospital 3 weeks later as instructed. Bones had started knitting nicely....in the wrong position. Rebroke and reset but then they noticed that my ligaments were torn. Touch and go whether I needed an operation to sort them out. Thankfully no operation needed. 16 weeks later they finally said I could have the cast off. Another month on crutches and 3 months with a walking stick!!! Still not 100% and it does give me some grief in cold weather but nothing 400mg of ibuprofen wont sort out.;)

To this day the missus swears I was drunk, not on two pints and a nip I wasn't!:rolleyes:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Bad luck. You have my sympathy.

Got no cruciate or median ligaments in my right knee thanks to a rugby injury in my 20's. Most of the cartilage is gone too. Result is that the the muscles have over developed over the intervening 30-odd years such that my knees don't make a matched pair any more.

Last time I had surgery the doctor told me that John Barnes played the last few years of his career with no cruciate ligaments in either knee so it isn't the end of all things outdoorsy. I don't do things that involve twisting (skiing, squash etc.) but I walk and run and ride my bike and suchlike. Can get a bit stiff if I kneel too long in the canoe and I tend to come down mountains pretty slowly. Recently completed a walk from Scotland to the South coast of England (not in one go - lots of stages!) and had no trouble with it.

Now that I am becoming a wrinkly old git I've got a bit of arthritis in it but I'm still a few years off a replacement.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Despite ten - yes, ten - operations in the past five years I've got something like 80% of the cartilage missing from my right knee, and am waiting as long as possible for a full replacement. There's no way in the world I can
get by without walking a minimum of 12 miles a day, I've got horses to do and a very fit Springer who can't miss a day of at least that distance, so I just don't let it stop me. My consultant has told me that in order to do
any further damage by walking I'd have to be doing a marathon a day, and the pain is the limiting factor. I carry co-codamol with me, srong ones, and if the pain gets too much I stop, take two of them and then make a brew - by the time I've had that the tablets have kicked in, and I'm good to go. As posted above, twisting it is the big no - no, so I'm very careful about that; and as stated above coming down the slope is always painful, but it hasn't stopped me from doing anything, just slowed me down.

The other thing I have to be careful with is load carrying, there seems to be a point (14 kilos for me) where I can get extreme pain but under that I carry all day every day..............

It ain't as bad as you think at first, as with all things in life you just need to adapt a little! Hope this helps, mate.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A few years ago I had my right kne scoped to remove the cartilage (it was shredded) After that I had 6 weeks of physical therapy and a full 8 weeks off duty and gardually moving from two crutches, down to one crutch, and finally, walking on my own. The Dr. also reccomended Glucosamine/Chondroitin in a daily dosage of 1500/1200mg.

It took a while but I'm now mostly back up to par as far as the knee goes. I even manage to do an occassional bit of roller skating with my grandson. As others have said, as you recuperate, downhill is harder on the knee than uphill.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
got myself a comples tear of my left knee lateral cartlidge. Cant be repaired, so leaving alone for now, anyone got anything similar, does it hinder your walking..??

A good few years ago whilst a friend and I were ridge walking when I was living in Scotland I took a tumble down the Greymares tailand had a similar thin happen to my right knee ripped the tendon and some other damage, I still had problem for years and it was worse in the winter then I found something called Boron and all joint pains have ceased so fingers crossed, A word of warning I tried Borax a pinch in a lt of water I started to hemorrhage from the esophagus so stick with the over the counter Boron.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Cheers guys for the info, and reassuring words really lifted my spirits. GP was like nothing to worry about
Simple operating to trim cartilage, consultant was all doom and gloom, and I think I listened to GP to much
And wasn't prepared for what consultant had to say.
As long as I can get out I'll be happy, and by the sound of it some of you guys have had it a lot worse
And it ain't stopped you. The physio said not to mush heavy lifting bending knees and try not to twist and lateral movement of the knee. Wife said get a grip. You've still got two legs just adapt. And follow physio plans.
Again cheers guys.

Kev T

Jun 23, 2013
Swindon
I've had an ACL reconstruction and half of the medial meniscus(cartilage) in my left knee removed. Once I recovered from the op. I've had no problem walking or load bearing.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
get yourself a skiers knee brace, they work wonders to stop any twisting of the knee.

this type of thing with the aluminium supports and hinges, they work fantasticly well and are can't be seen under trousers

http://www.physioroom.com/catalog/Skiing_Knee_Braces/3110.html

there are others available and cheaper, these are just the first i found on a google search.

i used them for years and they are great. ( i used to get mine from Boots )

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
get yourself a skiers knee brace, they work wonders to stop any twisting of the knee.

this type of thing with the aluminium supports and hinges, they work fantasticly well and are can't be seen under trousers

http://www.physioroom.com/catalog/Skiing_Knee_Braces/3110.html

there are others available and cheaper, these are just the first i found on a google search.

i used them for years and they are great. ( i used to get mine from Boots )

I'd forgotten that stage. I had one of those for a while during recovery also. I was fortunate in that my insurance paid the full cost of it, as it did for the crutches. I'm not sure where it is now though, as I haven't used it in a few years. It does work a treat though if you need it.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
tore cartilage badly when walking at night my foot went straight down a rabbit hole, cartilage was removed but while waiting for operation i bandaged knee up tightly and tried the odd walk but i didn't get very far before knee clicked and became as swollen as a balloon, very painful, my advice is if it can't be repaired don't delay any treatment, it drove me nuts with it keep swelling up after only light minimum legwork and stopping me doing things and the op came as a great relief, i have also had to have metal inserted into broken legs but that is another incident.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have problems with my knees when walking distances especially carrying a pack so you have my sympathy. I find a knee brace,using a pole or stick and prophylactic use of ant inflammatory meds all help.
Using a walking pole is probably the most effective of these esp downhill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE