Kitchen knife ban!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Folks don't get carried away with the stupidity of this one - if you feel strongly about it write to the BMJ.

It's going to fade away after a few people get to make their point (so to speak) it's impossible to legislate for and totally unenforcable. What the BMJ seems to forget is that it's illegal to carry any kind of knife without good reason (except for the sub 3 inch slip joint exception that's going to get banned soon anyway!) and it's illegal to use one as a weapon. Most police officers I know would not be particularly happy with having to try to police unenforcable legislation like this and what politician would be able to force it through?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong

(Shakes head sadly and walks away for a stiff drink.)

George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm friends with one of the sisters in charge of a large Glasgow A & E unit on the Friday/Saturday night shifts. M. believes that the most dangerous knife used in assaults is actually the humble stanley knife with a lino cutter blade fitted. It howks out a piece of flesh that cannot be replaced and leaves horrendous scarring.
Basically though, it's not the tools that are the problem, it's the mentality behind the hands that wield them. Now children are going to be taught to say please and thank you and how to share......but how on Earth can we legislate for courtesy, tolerance and respect among adults?

Toddy :(

People should go on an adult education course on how to treat other people with respect.
I think that the doctors who are calling for this ban on kitchen knives should just keep there mad rants to themselves as we have had enough of the nanny state trying to run our lives.
The problem's are far more grave than long kitchen knives,and they cannot apease the nation with quick fix stop gap policies.
It's comical to think that we live in a country that is adamant on banning everything but is promoting 24 hr binge drinking and gambling?
Where did we go wrong?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wayland said:
Don't forget, Britains worst serial killer was a doctor........
... and the world's worst used his scarf to nobble 17,000 people. Anything can be lethal if you want it to be. After all, the legal definition of a weapon is something used either for a violent act or to threaten with a violent act.
Were I to be world-class at a martial art I could walk down the street knowing I could easily kill somebody with a knife before they stabbed me, or I could walk onto a plane in nothing but a poncho and kill every one of the cabin crew and fly that plane wherever I wanted. It's not the implement, it's the attitude.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Apparently quite a few accidents are caused by trousers...!!! :D

As always, it's never the utensil, but the people weilding it. You can get hurt by anything, by anyone. Some woman stabbed her husband with a frozen sausage once. :eek:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I think BushcraftUK should publish an article examining the number of people who have died of infections in hospital recently due to lax standards from healthcare professionals.

And call for those responsible to be "banned"

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
last time I did reasearch into road deaths (for a drama production a few years ago) somewhere around 2/3 of adults killed by being hit by a car would have failed a breath test.
It's not car drivers fualt if people walk out in front of you with no warning.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Maybe they are looking at this in the wrong way. Instead of banning kitchen knives, we should put on warnings, like they have on cigarette packets. The Koreans do this, and god knows how many children's lives they have saved - on the back of the packet, it simply says "KEEP OUT OF CHILDREN". All it needs.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
It's interesting that a quater or so of the current laws have been drafted in the last eight years. How many have been shot and killed since Dunblane in '96 ? Yeah, banning things really works well....

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
There's a line in Brett Easton Ellis "American Psycho", Patrick Bateman, the pshcho of the title says/doesn't say (you need to read it ;) ) soto voce to a girl in a nightclub "Do you know what I could do to you with a coat hanger?"

A graphic illustration perhaps, but where there's a will....

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
I work in a "modern English" restaurant. A night out for two will set you back £85 if you chose to stick with the basics. That it is popular is proved by the fact that you need to book three weeks in advance for a saturday night. This tells you something about the quality of the chefs - they dont just use the knifes for opening boxes.

Therefore I decided to ask the head chef:
"Is there any use in long, pointed kitchen knifes?"
To cut a long answer short (she got out all the kitchen knifes showing me the puropse for each) she said no. Short pointed ones used for meat cleaving and for cutting vegetables they use chinese choppers.

So the newspaper is right on that one - no use.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
In her opinion, here's another

we have lots of "kitchen" knives, some are short and pointy, others long and pointy, some are long and not pointy. The newspaper seems to think that any knife longer then 5cm shouldn't have a point. Your cheif may agree with this. Does your chef butcher meat? I would guess not since a lot of the work is done with two main knives, a big stake knife and a smaller boning knife. The point of the boning knife gets used a lot and 13-16cm long. In shot it needs to be about the depth of an animal and be nice any pointy.
My father worked as a butcher whilst going through uni, he's now the head of an Xray department in Leeds Genral.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE