Kitchen knife ban!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Oh that is just brilliant =)

Long knives serve no purpse except as weapons? Tell that to anyone chef-trained :)

Could it be that the reason they are used in so many homicides is that it's the most common knife in households and it's near the hands of any domestic dispute?

I don't see any hooligans whipping out a Global knife on the street going "im gonna cut you ******!" anytime soon :)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
how many knfe incidents do NOT involve either drink or illegal drugs?

My guess is that it would be close to single figures

spin doctors at work here methinks

Tant

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
Spot on Tantalus.

As has been discussed in other threads (either here or on BB) banning knives, long bladed kitchen knives or otherwise, will not stop those intent on doing someone injury.

If kitchen knives were banned I'm sure most households will have screwdrivers, or other potentially dangerous items (hammers etc.)

The key word here is "potential". The item in question is not dangerous it the individual wielding it.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
If these big knives are responsible for 50% of stabbings, presumably the other 50% were caused by short knives...... I don't like the way this going.

Perhaps it's a clever ploy by the supermarkets to get us to buy our meat pre cut.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7502/1221?ehom
The BMJ link it sends you to is "interesting"!
Most domestic kitchen knives are based on two designs, the dagger variety with a pointed tip—for example, vegetable knife or carving knife
I am not into knives, I use them as tools,I dont collect them and would in no way consider myself knowledgeble about the subject, but isn't a dagger a stilleto blade(a commando knife) which is a weapon rather than a tool(IMHO) and I have never seen one in kitchen.
Knives and sharps are banned in prisons but they still get hold of stuff to use as weapons.
I am not sure if the statements used in these papers are to stir controversy but the problem being if a newspaper uses these quotes and pushes the idea the government may decide to "do something about this problem". Which invariably means 99% of the population get stopped from doing something,while the other 1% who are the problem ignore the laws anyway! :confused:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Wait till all the stabbing turns into throat cutting, or they figure out that any idiot can sharpen a stick and use it to stab. So much for sharp cutting edges. Before you all know it, you will be tearing your food with tooth and claw. :confused:

If this goes into law, how will it affect your seemingly already shakey ability to carry a pointed knife for bushcrafting purposes?

I wonder how many people are killed each year by motor vehicles.
I wonder how many people are killed each year by mountain climbing.
I wonder how many people are killed each year by food poisoning.

Can you see where i'm going?

Maybe they should ban drink and drugs?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
I think we need to put a call into Gordon Ramsey.

Think he might have something to say on the subject!

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
Banning something is a 'quick' fix and makes it look as though something is being done.
Serious shake ups in the legal system need to be made, not just banning everything.

No governmet will do anything too radical as that will lose them votes and the primary directive is to be re-elected.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
really it is just adding another unenforcable law to all the other laws that cannot be policed. They will only be able to do something after a crime has been commited - if they can leave their radars alone for five minutes....

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I may just try and get some sense circulated around a nice big Xray department (LGI). It's not like the BMJ have anything to do with laws anyway so I really doubt this will take off.

dsgr

Dec 31, 2004
Greece
Friends,
I think you're missing an important point here: this is not some idiot journalist or politician babbling, it is published in a prestigious medical journal by a Doctor !!! Have Drs. Hern & Beckett lost any touch with reality? That this "study" is so incredibly stupid and ridiculous doesn't make it any less dangerous, I'm afraid... Wouldn't a ban on locking folders have seemed just as stupid, a few years ago? How about now? I think that you (British citizens) should let the British Medical Journal know your thoughts on this matter, and get the support of any doctors you know. After all, in these troubled times, stupidity seems to be a contageous disease...

Sorry about the ranting,

Dimitris

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Right, if Doctors are calling for a ban on kitchen knives I'm calling for a ban on scalpels :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE