Kitchen knife ban!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Andy,
I didnt realise it was anything beyond five cm. The kitchen does receive whole haires, rabbits etc in addition to fish. The bone cleaving occurs with the use of a thin, around 8cm long, knife - as shown yesterday.

Next time I walk into that kitchen to take food out Ill see if I can catch her with a long, pointed knife...:p

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
In the nature of my work I have 'stabbed' people quite successfully with blunted tips, so I don't think this will achieve anything at all. Kitchen knives are incredibly effective killing weapons though. I did a PM on a bloke who was stabbed once by his wife. She used a typical 'psycho' style kitchen knife and it went straight through the middle of his heart and lodged half way through his spine, severing his spinal cord totally. And that was one stab from an amateur...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Spacemonkey said:
. Kitchen knives are incredibly effective killing weapons though. I did a PM on a bloke who was stabbed once by his wife. She used a typical 'psycho' style kitchen knife and it went straight through the middle of his heart and lodged half way through his spine, severing his spinal cord totally. And that was one stab from an amateur...

:eek: I wonder what he did.
She must have been REALLY cross to use that amount of force.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
dsgr said:
Friends,
I think you're missing an important point here: this is not some idiot journalist or politician babbling, it is published in a prestigious medical journal by a Doctor !!! Have Drs. Hern & Beckett lost any touch with reality? That this "study" is so incredibly stupid and ridiculous doesn't make it any less dangerous, I'm afraid... Wouldn't a ban on locking folders have seemed just as stupid, a few years ago? How about now? I think that you (British citizens) should let the British Medical Journal know your thoughts on this matter, and get the support of any doctors you know. After all, in these troubled times, stupidity seems to be a contageous disease...

Sorry about the ranting,

Dimitris

Gias sos, Dimitris.

This is not serious journalism, and the response (published in the BMJ, maybe after you read the "article") has been almost entirely disparaging.

Keith.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
hmm, yeah read that myself. tellyou what, you have my global chef's knife, i'll have my cut-throat. my girl-friend joking/serious made the coment about what she might do to my little collection if there's an amnasty, i said that they should have a car amnasty, hand in your keys ladies and gentleman, that'll cut the death rate a touch. ever seen the damage inflicted by a sharp chisel? having stabbed myself with a 1/4in chisel of my dad's i'd just sharpened i can tell you its not pretty.
oh well i'm sure that the new rules will lead to a safer briton where noone is ever stabbed or slashed, just like the utopian society we live in now since autoloaders were banned after hungerford, and handguns were banned after dunblane.
<rant off>

be good people.
sc

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Do these supposedly intelligent people not realise that it is just as easy to kill someone with a small knife as it is with a big one? It seems that the powers that be just panic when it comes to passing knife laws... I'd rather someone come at me with a large knife than a small knife because at least I'd be able to see it.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I just bought an old blue Hillman sitting garaged for many years for the staggering sum of $50 USD. I popped over to my expatriate cockney mechanic's shop and got a rather long sad look at my automotive tastes. I had to remind him how much attention an old De Lorean got from kids wanting to get their pics taken in the ' Back to the Future ' car. 10 seconds into his blank look another expatriate drove up in his huge Jaquar Saloon with 3 kids screaming " the Harry Potter car!" He bought it on the spot for $500. We talked about the destruction of the UK automotive industry for SOCIAL reasons and I asked about the loss of british cutley bearing the once famous Sheffield reputation similar to Solingen. The replies were rather telling. " Well, it doesn't matter to me where a dinner fork comes from." At that moment a cheaply cast chicom tool shattered trying to loosen a Whitworth bolt. Maybe if People were inside those lost factories making knives and cars they wouldn't be outside stabbing people with imported junk to steal BMWs belonging to Doctors. :confused:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ChrisKavanaugh said:
..snip..
We talked about the destruction of the UK automotive industry for SOCIAL reasons and I asked about the loss of british cutley bearing the once famous Sheffield reputation similar to Solingen. The replies were rather telling. " Well, it doesn't matter to me where a dinner fork comes from." At that moment a cheaply cast chicom tool shattered trying to loosen a Whitworth bolt. Maybe if People were inside those lost factories making knives and cars they wouldn't be outside stabbing people with imported junk to steal BMWs belonging to Doctors. :confused:

Most of my good table cutlery was made in Sheffield. My two kids each have a place setting (knife, fork and spoon) made by Hiram Wild, bought by my parents at the factory, short walk from their house.

My kitchen drawer is full of knives by Fry and Wigful, S&J Kitchin, Taylor's Eye Witness and various others (including a few French knives).

Good grief, I'm starting to sound like you ;)

Honest, traditional, reasonably priced tablewares:
http://www.hiramwild.co.uk/

Modern, stylish, updated traditional designs, slightly more expensive:
http://www.davidmellordesign.com/

Keith.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
What the lawmakers don't seem capable of grasping is that banning something doesn't actually stop prople having it or doing it. If it did there could be no crime. Like it's already illegal to stab someone, so if being possibly charged with murder doesn't stop them how is the fact that the weapon they used is banned going to make any effect?

All it does is criminalise alot of ordinary people, As Saint Paul says, 'where the law increases transgression increases' (Romans 4:15).

If someone wants to they can use anything as a weapon, many household chemicals are capable of being turned into explosives or even chemical weapons, Ban apples, their seeds contain cyanide so if you collect enough, process them to extract it and mix it with an acid to make hydrogen cyanide gas you can do a gas attack on a subway. Ban asprin, it can be used to make an explosive called 'doublesalts' , and sugar, and diesel, and charcoal, and fire and everything.

Given the number of people killed by Harold Shipman isn't there a case for banning Doctors? especially as he wasn't an isolated case, remember Beverley Allit? another mass murderer who worked in 'healthcare' and then there are such luminaries of the medical profession as Joseph Mengele...I think I'd rather take my chances with anything in the average kitchen.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
reinhardt_woets said:
Sorry for going off-topic but does that mean I should not eat pits from apples? Or is it in its benign form?

I don't think you could eat enough at one go to do yourself any harm.
A LOT of pips would have to be processed to extract enough cyanide to cause harm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE