Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Ok so - I need kit! I thought I should just get it all down here instead of just putting down the item I'm thinking about at the moment, because I know I'll ending starting another thread in a few days :p

Ok so firstly - I need a rucksack. I'm looking for something in between a daysack and a large rucksack, so I can fit a tarp and sleeping bag in and shove in some extra clothes and food, maybe with the thermarest on the outside (is it waterproof?!) - so I'm thinking about 40-50 litres ish? I was amazed at the cheapness of the Eurohike bags in Millets, until I was told they're really bad :p But basically I'm not bothered about what it looks like, just want something cheap and not too heavy that does the job and is comfortable!

I'm sure I'll add more equipment to the list soon, but right now that's what's in my mind.. I'm getting the Decathlon tarp and MagicKelly hammock.

Oh and I could do with some rope/tape to tie up the hammock - cheap recommendations anyone?

And a sleeping bag! Preferably that does cold winter nights in a hammock for a 5'6" 7 stone person! But again, cheap as possible - my mum has actually consented to get this, so probably max £50..

Thanks a lot,
Lucy

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Lucy, I got some tape for my M.k hammock from (I think) B&Q. If you look for the rope section by the reel you will find a flat tape that is sold off the roll or 10 + metres on a reel for I think £5.99.Its black is about 30 40mm wide and works great. Cut it in half attach to both sides with krabs or looped through the drip ring and tie in a bow round the tree (see Pablo's vid on you tube)
Hope it helps Dave
Ps you do get a bit of stretch out of them when they first get wet but it will soon stretch and be fine. You could go to a climbing shop ( I know you that you know where one of them is:) )and pay OTT for climbing tape but taint necessary.
D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hi Lucy,
I don't think one of the Millets would let you down in fact it would probably last a few years.
I personally prefer fixed back systems and no seperate bottom to the sac,it's because there's less to break and leak.
Highlander forces sacs would do as well.
I've had both and they're good.
With Berghaus i've used the cyclops roc and voyager (voyager c.13 yrs ago) and the roc is literally bombproof.(well nearly).
I'm now trying the Karrimor Sabre 45 & pockets and can fit one night out easily into the main sac alone,the pockets a further 12.5 litres each I believe.
Berghaus or Karrimor will last for years,see if you can try them out for size before buying the others.
Use an inflatable mat,bivvy bag and a silk liner with your sleepbag and you could manage with a less bulky one (unless it's down).
Remember you can always keep clothing on too and/or sleep by a fire.
It really doesn't take a lot to enjoy a comfortable time outdoors.
Tom.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Lucy, I got some tape for my M.k hammock from (I think) B&Q. If you look for the rope section by the reel you will find a flat tape that is sold off the roll or 10 + metres on a reel for I think £5.99.Its black is about 30 40mm wide and works great.

This sounds great - thanks!

sleep by a fire
I wish :p Ah for Scotland.. Stupid somerset :rant:
Thanks a lot for your suggestions - I'll take a look!

How about this for a rucksack? I don't know much about the make - Highlander?

Also, why doesn't everyone just buy like army surplus down-filled 58 pattern sleeping bags when they're so cheap? Are others just better?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Highlander rucksacks are fine, I use one for overnighters and weekend trips. They may not be as bomb-proof as more expensive bags but then you wouldn't expect them to be.

A rucksacks are best tried on first as there's nothing worse than trekking for any distance with an uncomfortable one. Try to find a stockist and try on as many as you can.

A lot of people do use the 58 pattern sleeping bag and swear by them, I think they may be quite bulky though. Do a search on the forum, you'll find loads of references for that one and the Nanok.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
How about this for a rucksack? I don't know much about the make - Highlander?
They're OK for the money, as Andy says not the same build quality as the more expensive packs. I've got a Nevis 88 i've had for a few years - it's lighter than the crusader, or the vulcan.
What I will say about the one you've picked is it's not clear if the 45 litrs is the total capacity including the pockets - if it is, then it'll have a small main compartment - possibly enough room for a Nanok -10 and a pair of socks!

Also, why doesn't everyone just buy like army surplus down-filled 58 pattern sleeping bags when they're so cheap? Are others just better?
They're bulky, they're heavy - they're FEATHER filled as opposed to DOWN - and they've been around for 50 years! - A lot of the surplus ones i've seen have lost a fair amount of the filling due to it breaking down / leaking out - in some cases you can hold it up to the light and see through it :eek:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Lucy,

My advice would be buy the best boots, rucksac and sleeping bag that you can afford.

You are either wearing the boots or in the sleeping bag in my experience, so they need to be up to the task! Same goes for the rucksac, if the boots are on your feet, the chances are that the rucksac is on your back.

Try before you buy - any decent outdoor shop will be used to this.

Actually get in the sleeping bag and check it for fit. Not too snug, not too loose!

Try boots on in the afternoon when your feet have swollen a little, and take your own socks with you - the ones that you will be wearing when you are out and about.

As for rucksacs, ask the shop to load it up when you try it on - climbing ropes make good ballast! The weight should mainly be carried on your hips, not your shoulders, so make sure the hip belt is positioned correctly and is comfy! For my money a Sabre 45 is about the best small sac on the market, and you can up its capacity by adding side pouches if you need to.

HTH!

Simon

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
No worries about the boots - already got some.
As for rucksack, yeah I'm going up to Exeter next week or so so I'm going to have a good look around and try some stuff..

And wow Eric, thanks so much!

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Another thing - does the Decathlon tarp (haven't actually bought it yet) have enough loops through the top to attach to a ridge line? I can't actually see any..

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Lucy,
for what it's worth, these are my thoughts on rucsacs. As was said before buy the best you can but the most expensive is not necessarily the best.
You can't go far wrong with a berghaus as a first try, they are basic but very tough and can be picked up very cheaply on ebay if you can wait a while.
One option is a cyclops roc approx 60 litres, this is based on a climbing sac and has no side pockets. this means it is a slim rucsac and will not easily get caught on branches and bushes. you can extend the capacity by adding side pockets or strap roll mats, bivis etc to the sides.
The other option is the crusader 65-80 litres, pretty much the roc with zip off pockets that convert into a daysac. I have been using these for over 20 years and they work for me. I have had plenty of other rucsacs, issued to me and bought by myself and keep going back to the crusader. sold my DPM one on ebay and bought a green version in great nick for £30, 2 weeks later.
The final option is the vulcan, 100 litres and a monstor. Great sac but then you are tempted to pack all you own and regret it very quickly. plenty of these come up on ebay.
The most important thing to be aware of is the fact that they come in different frame sizes 1-4, depending on the model.
Size 2 - 5'3" to 5'8".
Size 3 - 5' 9" to 5'11".
Size 4 - 6' to 6'6".
sice 1 is found in the sacs designed specifically for women.
They fit close to the back and the frame can be shaped to your back. The plus of this is the stability over rocky ground, the minus is a sweaty back, only a problem if you are stopping and starting and don't like the cold feeling.
When buying, look for a small white tag sewn on the back, between the shoulder straps with a little number on, this refers to the frame size.

I could probably knock up some photos of my crusader if you want.

Hope this helps and prompts some more posts on rucsacs.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE