Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Lucy,
for what it's worth, these are my thoughts on rucsacs. As was said before buy the best you can but the most expensive is not necessarily the best.
You can't go far wrong with a berghaus as a first try, they are basic but very tough and can be picked up very cheaply on ebay if you can wait a while.
One option is a cyclops roc approx 60 litres, this is based on a climbing sac and has no side pockets. this means it is a slim rucsac and will not easily get caught on branches and bushes. you can extend the capacity by adding side pockets or strap roll mats, bivis etc to the sides.
The other option is the crusader 65-80 litres, pretty much the roc with zip off pockets that convert into a daysac. I have been using these for over 20 years and they work for me. I have had plenty of other rucsacs, issued to me and bought by myself and keep going back to the crusader. sold my DPM one on ebay and bought a green version in great nick for £30, 2 weeks later.
The final option is the vulcan, 100 litres and a monstor. Great sac but then you are tempted to pack all you own and regret it very quickly. plenty of these come up on ebay.
The most important thing to be aware of is the fact that they come in different frame sizes 1-4, depending on the model.
Size 2 - 5'3" to 5'8".
Size 3 - 5' 9" to 5'11".
Size 4 - 6' to 6'6".
sice 1 is found in the sacs designed specifically for women.
They fit close to the back and the frame can be shaped to your back. The plus of this is the stability over rocky ground, the minus is a sweaty back, only a problem if you are stopping and starting and don't like the cold feeling.
When buying, look for a small white tag sewn on the back, between the shoulder straps with a little number on, this refers to the frame size.

I could probably knock up some photos of my crusader if you want.

Hope this helps and prompts some more posts on rucsacs.

Rob

Thanks very much for that great post! I think I'm looking more along the lines of 40-50 litres, if you have any suggestions for them?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Strictly speaking, you don't need to run a ridgeline through loops along the centre of a tarp. Sure, loops give more versatility for other set-ups, and they can be useful when folding the tarp up, but I don't find they serve all that much of a purpose. When the tarp is tensioned up, the ridge loops don't carry any of the weight.

For example:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23461

The Hexfly has no loops other than around the edge, and you can still manage.
Hexfly.jpg

Re lines for tarp. Static accessory cord will do, if you have any sailing shops around, they are worth looking in for 2-4mm polyester line. Marlow make some good stuff.

Don't dismiss the Thermarest Ridgerest sleep mat. Lighter than the self inflating type, not quite as comfy on the ground, but more flexible for hammock use, pretty bombproof so it can go on the outside of your pack, can be trimmed to suit your size and needs.

Don't knock Somerset. You could be stuck in Birmingham, or central London.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
Strictly speaking, you don't need to run a ridgeline through loops along the centre of a tarp. Sure, loops give more versatility for other set-ups, and they can be useful when folding the tarp up, but I don't find they serve all that much of a purpose. When the tarp is tensioned up, the ridge loops don't carry any of the weight.

I'm not sure I know what you mean - how does it tie around the tree without the ridgeline?

The Hexfly has no loops other than around the edge, and you can still manage.
Hexfly.jpg
But how does it go around a tree? Do you tie the central lines round it? Maybe I should just get a different tarp?

Re lines for tarp. Static accessory cord will do, if you have any sailing shops around, they are worth looking in for 2-4mm polyester line. Marlow make some good stuff.
I was thinking paracord for the tarp ridgeline and corner guys - is that what you mean? But then I guess I won't be able to use a ridgeline anyway? I'm so confused!
Sorry I'm so.. knowledgeless!

Don't dismiss the Thermarest Ridgerest sleep mat. Lighter than the self inflating type, not quite as comfy on the ground, but more flexible for hammock use, pretty bombproof so it can go on the outside of your pack, can be trimmed to suit your size and needs.
Ok, I'll take a look, thank you :)

Don't knock Somerset. You could be stuck in Birmingham, or central London.
Well that's true!

Edit: Actually, it's pretty much the same with a DD tarp isn't it - could all these set-ups work with the Decathlon? http://www.ddhammocks.com/gallery.php?item=Tarp%202

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Lucy,
further to my earlier post
The added beauty of the roc or crusader is the fact that they have side compression straps that enable you to reduce the size of the pack and the crusader has extra compression straps on the lid to pull in the sac even further. The problem with a 45 litre sac is that you then have to buy a larger sac for longer trips, meaning more cost.
I have used my crusader without side pockets as a patrol day sac and so long as the back length is not too long it makes a great overnight sac. I admit it means the pack is slightly heavier than a true 45 litre sac but you have the added versatilty of chucking some fire wood under the lid for a quick and easy fire towards the end of the day. Some people place their roll mat inside first in order to bulk out the pac and to keep it dry in the rain.

Others may offer other opinions on the merits of this but it works for me.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm not sure I know what you mean - how does it tie around the tree without the ridgeline?
instead of having a continuous line between the 2 trees, one line goes from the end of the tarp to the first tree, another line goes from the other end of the tarp to the other tree - the tarp becomes the link in the middle.

But how does it go around a tree? Do you tie the central lines round it? Maybe I should just get a different tarp?
there are 3 basic ways to hang a tarp - over a ridge line, under a ridge line using loops, or with no ridgeline and rely on the strength of the tarp to form the middle of the ridge as explained above :)

I was thinking paracord for the tarp ridgeline and corner guys - is that what you mean? But then I guess I won't be able to use a ridgeline anyway? I'm so confused!
paracord, accessory cord, guyline cord - are all just names for different types of string - they all do the same job.

Sorry I'm so.. knowledgeless!
stick with us kiddo, we'll make a bushcrafter out of you yet :D

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
instead of having a continuous line between the 2 trees, one line goes from the end of the tarp to the first tree, another line goes from the other end of the tarp to the other tree - the tarp becomes the link in the middle.
Ok I geddit :D

there are 3 basic ways to hang a tarp - over a ridge line, under a ridge line using loops, or with no ridgeline and rely on the strength of the tarp to form the middle of the ridge as explained above :)
Hmm ok, so which would be better in this case - the tarp over the ridgeline for that extra support, or just no ridgeline?

stick with us kiddo, we'll make a bushcrafter out of you yet :D
I hope so :rolleyes:

Re robadams - you're probably right about the rucksack, although I'm a little nervous about the weight :rolleyes:. The only thing though is that I can't seem to find any sign of either rucksack..

bikething

May 31, 2005
Hmm ok, so which would be better in this case - the tarp over the ridgeline for that extra support, or just no ridgeline?
there's been much debate over this one.. the main arguments being if you put the tarp over a ridge line you risk wearing away the waterproofing where it touches the line, and if you use no ridgeline the tarp has to take all the strain..

Re robadams - you're probably right about the rucksack, although I'm a little nervous about the weight :rolleyes:. The only thing though is that I can't seem to find any sign of either rucksack..
which weight? of the pack or the contents?

as to finding them, the cyclops and the roc sometimes turn up in surplus stores in various states of (dis)repair. I was lucky enough to get a virtually new crusader from an ex-marine friend of mine, and I've got a vulcan as well, now that's a big pack :Wow:

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
there's been much debate over this one.. the main arguments being if you put the tarp over a ridge line you risk wearing away the waterproofing where it touches the line, and if you use no ridgeline the tarp has to take all the strain..
Hmm, I see.. What's your opinion? :p

which weight? of the pack or the contents?
The pack :rolleyes: - I just want something relatively small and lightweight.. and cheap! Doesn't have to be new though :rolleyes:

bikething

May 31, 2005
Hmm, I see.. What's your opinion? :p
I accept the fact that the waterproofing won't last for ever so I use a ridgeline under the tarp. At least if the waterproofing fails it'll do so gradaully, whereas a tarp ripping apart can happen suddenly and then if you're out in the wilds you're stuffed - I'll go with the lower risk :p

btw If your tarp is made of multiple panels you can minimise the risk by careful choice of seam direction, relative to the direction the strain is acting in

The pack :rolleyes: - I just want something relatively small and lightweight.. and cheap! Doesn't have to be new though :rolleyes:
don't know about the roc, but here are the weights (measured) of my packs:

Berghaus Vulcan (with pockets and all straps) = 2.96 Kg
Berghaus Crusader (with pockets and all straps) = 2.64 Kg
Karrimor Sabre 45 (with pockets and all straps) = 1.5 Kg
Highlander Nevis 88 = 1.68 Kg

now where's me anorak :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
With my Hexfly I have 3m lengths of cord which are only attached at each end, no ridgeline.
But, that is not what I meant about the central loops not being necessary. You still use a ridgeline, it runs above the tarp, no danger of wearing the proofing off, but you only attach the tarp by the loops on its edge. You can see on this picture what I mean, there are loops along the ridge, but only those on the edges are used. The main tension is still in the ridgeline.

Tarp-pitched1.JPG

Tarptab2.JPG

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
hi lucy, don't know if it will help or add to your confusion :D , but i've got a copy of ray mears eco system dvd, basically its ray setting up his tarp and hammock, i bought it when i was as baffled as you as to what tarp, waht hammock, which not, etc etc, i got a couple of ideas from it and now use the same method for hanging my hammock, if you pm me you addy, i'll pop it in the post for you.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Lucy,
Just had a thought about rucksacks - how much walking do you plan to do with them? The reason I ask is that a number of manufacturers are making rucksacks specifically fitted for women - e.g. shorter back, different hip-belt padding etc...

For short/occasional walks it probably doesn't make much difference, but if you're walking longer distance I'd certainly recommend looking into the different fits...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
...with prussiks so you can tension the tarp i guess?

With slippery taught line hitches, as used on guy lines. Two foot lengh of cord lark's-headed to the loop, then the hitch is made with the double lines. Easy on, easy off, easy to tension and you can chop and change how the tarp goes up more easily than if you have the ridge line permanently attached, or threaded through the loops.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE