Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
In fact all plastic and metal Sporks!
Be a bushcrafter - carve one!

Bang on, John :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm almost embarrassed to admit owning one but the Bear Grylls knife (Paul Bailey made). It was horrifically expensive, had no edge, remains impossible to sharpen, has a very uncomfortable handle - an allround design disaster area.

IMHO anything bearing the name (no pun intended) of Bear Grylls should be consigned to the dustbin...:nono:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bang on, John :lmao::lmao::lmao:

IMHO anything bearing the name (no pun intended) of Bear Grylls should be consigned to the dustbin...:nono:

Another vote for any Bear brand gear - there are cheaper alternatives without his name attached - the only blokes name I want sewn on my clothing is "St Michaels" ...you can trust a Saint!

Dec 16, 2007
Any rucksack that is designed to be worn over webbing:-
Plce
karrimor sabre 45
berghaus munro and centurion
snugpak rocket pack

Not unless you wear belt kit. I have a dragons airborne bergan crap on its own but great when worn with the belt kit. Is based on the old GS bergan frame. Just dont fill it up with all the crap you can.

Dec 16, 2007
The ray mears parabolic fire starter thing that he had on his walk about show. I have tried it with kangaroo poo and still not got a fire going. May be my technique. I find a firesteel and/or Zippo works just as well.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a bear grylls fleece (the wife bought it in a sale) to be honest its one of the best fleeces ive had even if it is oscar the grouch green...

Another vote for any Bear brand gear - there are cheaper alternatives without his name attached - the only blokes name I want sewn on my clothing is "St Michaels" ...you can trust a Saint!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I thought the BG Bayley knife was made by Rob Bayley ~ which might be the answer to your issues with the ergonomics.

Age, insanity and time have got to me: it was Rob Bayley. The knife even has 'bayleyknife' etched down the spine of the handle. Apologies for my stupid mistake. And yet, despite that, it is still a horrible knife to try and use. Beautifully made but unduly heavy and horrible.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Sorry to disagree NT but I love em for all those reasons,......I'm in no particular hurry so speed of boil don't matter..........bombproof, so no matter what, you can always rely on them.....................heavy, well I concede there but as I don't go far from the motor nowadays this is'nt a concern also the fact that you can use the pots over a fire as well, just makes them the ideal for me.

... and you can light a fire in them. Which is why I really like them. I leave the burner at home and use the casing as a hobo stove.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It just goes to show you - put 3 Bushcrafters in a room and soon you will hear six opinions on any bit of gear :)
I love Alkyhol stoves and the response pack is genius!
I hear that some folks even like BG clothing and knives - even Ti Sporks! - Crazy folk out there!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Felling axes.
Lets face it very few of us own woodland so who's trees are we planning on cutting down with them?
If you are splitting logs for the fire then a maul is so much better that its a joke and if you do own land and want to fell a few trees then get a chainsaw which fells far and away faster and bucks up the logs also.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
One of those jet lighters - I've had about 5 different ones and only one of them still works. The cheapest...!

Oh, and the Trangia I had when I was 14. Absolute garbage of the highest order and I've no idea how they're still in business.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE