Kit list - What's in your bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
my kit list.

carrying stuff
lowe alpine mountain attack 50
maxpedition jumbo fatboy

sleeping/shelter
nanok -10,
silk liner,
hammock,
tarp (hex fly),
underblanket,
poncho,

cooking/eating
12cm billy,
non stick mini frying pan,
clickstand,
trangia burner,
fuel bottle,
kfs/chopsitcks/spatula
folding cup,
crusader cup/cooker/lid
3' brass chain,
nalgene bottle,
tea strainer,

cutting
gransfors sfa,
folding saw,
svord drop point
brkt mini canadian
dc4 sharpening stone
starkie strop/paste

firelighting
k&n matchsafe
tinder box
firesteel

other stuff

dry bag of spare clothing,
notepad/pencil,
silva type 4 compass,
krill light,
petzl zipka,
photon light,
spare batteries,
paracord,
midgie head net,
insect repellant,
first aid kit,
water filter,
4l msr water carrier,
wash kit/travel towel,
shemagh,
folding backpackers table,

i didn't realise how much stuff i had untill i tallied it up.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Boy, there are a few heavy bags here, and more variation than I thought, I like the little personal touches here and there (Andyn's flask of Mcallen single malt, Toddy's archeologists trowell from WHSmiths :) ). Graham S uses 'Starky Strop Paste'? clear that up for us if poss Graham. The Army poncho is cropping up a few times too, is this in addition or instead of WPs?

Just wanna slip one little question in: How do you red-up the headtorch lens so that you keep night vision? (I've seen a redded one but I don't want to paint/coat mine until I've got the recipie right)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I actually found this quite hard to answer. Coming from mountaineering I usually pack as light as possible and for summit day I replace the sleeping bag with a Down jacket and Blizzard pack, the cook pans with a titanium mug the dragonfly with a pocket rocket etc and naturally the iron mongery is of a different nature. But I also own one of those enormous Para Rangers from Norrona and have headed off into the wilds of Newfoundland, for six weeks, with it full of gear; and have headed to the woods with nothing more than axe, knife and flapjacks.

Actually I think flapjacks are quite possibly the only ever-present kit throughout a myriad of possibilities. :p

This is a kind of “go comfortable” compromise for 2, 3, 4 days. U.K. Mountain - moor land – woodland.
I

Lowe Alpine, Alpine crossbow 45+10

Flapjacks
Babybell
Hipflask of Calvados
Platypus 2l
MSR Sentinel (tent)
Mountain Hardware down bag in plastic bag!
Thermarest pro lite (on snow) in dry bag strapped on side of pack.
MSR Dragonfly
MSR Alpine cook set
Snow peakTi fork spoon mug (luxury really)
Compass and spare compass and pace counter.
Laminated map
Zweibruder Moonlenser torch and Lifesystems whistle
Black Diamond Soliras headtorch
Heliograph
Altimeter/Barometer
Blue flame lighter
GBks Small Forest
GBks file and diamond
Woodlore Knife + steel and cotton wool/maya dust/sticklets
Leatherman wave
Small, 1000 grit, slip stone
Small first aid/wash kit wrapped in gaffer tape.
Emergency Blanket and bag (you know the space foil stuff)
Dry bag with spare wearables
Fishing kit
Sewing thread/needle
Wire saw
String
Spare shoelaces and strip of leather

Yes of course I’ve forgotten something! (See edits no doubt) :D

What am I wearing? well that’s a different list! :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
i use my poncho with gaiters as a full water proof, you can get red plates for most petzl LED head torches. Or the petzl tactikka has a red filter on a pivot

J

jinx

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your kit lists.

As a complete novice ot this bushcraft thingy this thread has been a godsend, especially with the added comments about performance or price.

I anticipate not wasting hundreds of pounds on useless kit. My wife will be very pleased.

Jinx

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
copper_head said:
i use my poncho with gaiters as a full water proof, you can get red plates for most petzl LED head torches. Or the petzl tactikka has a red filter on a pivot

Cheers, its down to the shop for me red filter then. The poncho sounds better than my german cammo suit. More possible uses too probably (I like the idea of kit which has other uses).

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I just stuck a 'red gel' from one o' me lightin' cans (lights)..inside me petzl......me mate has actually changed his led's fer red ones in his model....but then he's good at that sorta tech stuff.... :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yeah used mine as a tarp before i got a dedicated web tex one, good for filling with boughs as a sleeping matt as well. Can use it to collect ant eggs too, shovel a nest on to it curl the edges round and the industrious little fellows will move the eggs in to the shade of edges. scoop out with a mug, boil and you got something that tastes like omlette and looks like cous cous :p

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
jinx said:
As a complete novice ot this bushcraft thingy this thread has been a godsend, especially with the added comments about performance or price.

I anticipate not wasting hundreds of pounds on useless kit. My wife will be very pleased.

Jinx has made an interesting point about the prices (I didn't want to ask people because I thought they might be embarrassed, but it realy is useful, I know how much money I have wasted on rubbish or redundant kit in the past, I could have probably bought a small peice of woodland with the money (not quite, perhaps a couple of cases of calvados tho), so if possible it might be an idea to put some price guides (not on everything, and only if people want to or can remember how much they paid) and brief rating or comment against the items in the lists, if anyone who has already posted their list wants to add some bracketed prices or comments, could they edit them to the existing post to save making a new one.

Jinx, thanx for your kind words, I'm sure everyone is chuffed that you find it usefull.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yeah i dont always carry all this gear, but theres a minimum level of kit you need if your going for a night of a fortnight ya still need the same sleeping/cooking/cutting gear, but i ya can go with just basics and improvise whatcha dont have, i guess its getting a balance of comfort/wieght/time consumption. saying that tho when i go hill walking i tend to go for gas stoves and tents rather than using all my bushcraft gear. Does mean ya have alot of gear at home :lmao: , but also allows you too evolve your camping style and have the right gear for the enviroment your entering. phew...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
copper_head said:
Hmm here goes: (for two days or more)

Web-tex ultramax bergan £100
Laplander folding saw £15 ish
Tregor PTX woods knife + fire steel £45 for knife, £5 for steel
Whitby knives 'Lambfoot' Stainless folder £10
Crook knife £15 ish
Fallkniven DC4 £17.50
Snugpack softie 12 sleeping bag in winter, £109!!!!
karrimor global trekker 700 in summer £45
Ex-army WVP bivvie bag £40
web-tex camo basha £25
therm-a-rest trail-lite £36 on sale
Army poncho £10
2x Pattern 58 waterbottle £5 each
1x US 2.2 qrt canteen £6
Crusader cup £10 ish
platypus with hydration tube (sometimes) £16
Hexi stove £2.50 :)
Nesting billie cans £12.50
Cooking kit (olive oil, salt + pepper, hot sauce, can opener)
Bowl + Cutlery £6 ish, all told
Tinder pouch with Hammaro tinder card, cramp balls, spare hexi block. £4 for pouch pack of Hammaro £3.50, cramp balls- look on a tree!
matches and a lighter knocking around somewhere
Petzl zipka headtorch £30
OS map of area, Silva explorer 4 compass, olitieb map case, compass £25, Case £6 maps £8
First aid kit £17
Clothes; Woolen jumper, ex-army trousers, woolen socks, cotton tshirts and underclothes,
Hat (wide brimmed and wooley)
Fingerless woolen gloves
loo roll, toothebrush + paste, pine tar soap, flannel

Possibles bag; whistle, fish hooks wieghts and line, snare wire, chlorine tablets, kendal mint cake, few oxo cubes, spare firesteel, webley knife, insect repellant, candle, pen paper, spare compass, needle and thread, para cord.

God do i really carry all that! :eek:

cant remember how much clothes and stuff were, quite alot of cash all told but ive been upgrading my kit over the last year so your seeing the end product. used to get by with gear which cost half the price

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
drstrange said:
Jinx has made an interesting point about the prices .....so if possible it might be an idea to put some price guides.....

Ouch! I don't want to add it up. I must say though, by and large you get what you pay for!The number of cheap items I've gone through before buying a more pricey version in the end anyway still makes me curse! :censored: :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bear in mind, I'm a 51 year old new to Bushcraft, but an old hand at camping; my bag would be something like this

Bergen Long Back and side pouches

Golite Hex 3 and Nest (bug shelter) tent
Sleeping bag
Thermarest
Trangia 27
meths
2 litre coke bottle full of water
Army gortex trousers
Mora knife
K&M match case
Firesteel
Cotton wool balls dipped in candle wax for tinder
3 teeshirts
2 pants
Socks
Thin merino wool jumper
Head torch
Mini button LED torch
2 long life candles
Leatherman PST
Silva expedition compass and OS map of area
Mobile phone
Mini radio
3x2 poly tarp
paracord
digital camera
Ziplock back with some basic first aid gear

FOOD

Instant tea mix with sugar
Dried mixed veg, mushrooms, onions, stock cubes, herbs, salt, curry powder, garlic powder
Vesta beef risotto
Hob nobs, primula cheese spread, chunk of salami, cup a soup, redebrek pre mixed with dried milk and a little sugar
Long life pitta bread
1lb bag of fruit drops
Noodles

If I am with my son, we take as well, tinned Tuna, corned beef, spam, mature cheddar cheese, jam in tubes, maybe a couple of 24 hour rat packs (yum, yum) or at least main meals from them, dry cured bacon (expensive, but worth every penny, as it keeps), tube or 2 of Nestle sweetened condensed milk, pepperami’s, smash and some Jack Daniels :) or some of that, depends how long we go for, plus an extra stove (sorry, but stoves are another hobby) something like an Optimus 111, 199, 123 with SIGG Tourest Cookset or Nova

I’ve tried dried eggs from Tesco, not bad, but not always in stock

Give me time, and I may use a hammock :)

I have probobly forgotten stuff, but the list was off the top of my head

The heaviest bit of kit out of that list is the Bergen

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Thanks for the kit and food list Rik-Uk3, I have seen the powdered egg in the shops before but was kind of wary, but I might just give it a go, do they do it in free range?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the starkie strop and paste is for sharpening.
basicly its a pad of leather for stropping my knives/axe on. the paste is stropping compound (aluminium oxide soap). it brings your knife up to a stronger, sharper edge.
you rub it onto the strop before use.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Until recently I was mainly interested in lightweight hiking and I don't carry anything like as much stuff :eek:

In Rucksack (32 year old ally pack from from "Freeman" catalogue. Needs a few repairs now :)
Either Eurohike 220 and 2/3 length mat or DPM tarp and mini hammock
Either crusader cup and chain (one day) OR miltary Trangia (over night) OR Mongrel Gas Trangia (two nights or more)
Meths bottle or gas
Generic synthetic sleeping bag
Baby Pillow case (stuff with clothes at night)
Wash kit + razor
Half a hand towel
Spare batteries
Coleman Tea light lantern + spare tea lights
Medication
Several rubbish sacks
hank of para cord
spare clothes (depends on activity)
Goretex Jacket (if not worn)
Fleece (if not worn)
Thin trainers for night time
Bag with batteries bulbs and hand cranked phone charger
Book
Food in drawstring cotton bag.

In outer rucksack pockets
2 58 pattern water bottles and one cup
stainless steel spoon
matches in metal screw container
LED converted AA Mini maglite
Tungsten buld petzel
Frost Mara knife
Laplander saw
First aid kit
Digital or disposable camera

Round Kneck/coat
turbo lighter
Silva Expedtion 4 Compass
Swiss army knife
Fox 40 whistle
phone

My day kit is normally well under 5kg, overnight stuff around 13kg and two nights or more should be uder 15kg which I think is my comfortable limit, but it does seem rather a lot like this :eek:

Addendum (I had a nose through my boxes of stuff earlier on and realised I had forgotton to mention a few bits)
Folding Trowel + Toilet Paper in drawstring bag
orange survival bag
Binoculars or old pair split into two monoculars.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE