Kit list generator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, the fruit of 20 minutes labour... For those who have MS Access only

http://www.lightningstorm.co.uk/BCUK/kit.mdb

Under [Forms] there is a Kit List form, just open it and edit the things you want to... weight is in grams but it's easy enough to change...

Just enter all the kit you have and check the boxes to add to the kit list, Click [Generate Report] and you'll have a nice A4 report of everything in your kit list...

I may add things like "Winter kitting" or "jungle kitting" if it's needed... dunno yet.

Any thoughts welcome

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, i'm a compulsive tinkerer so i'm revising it, I have added checks to make an item of kit applicable for various conditions;

jungle, winter, desert & summer.

Then I'm going to create reports for each so you can have a jungle default kit list etc...

Any requests for environments or anything else? please let me know because this is actually pretty useful for me.

p.s. sorry it looks crummy with lots of bad formatting... i'm sorting that now :eek:):

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hoodoo, if you have Windows & IE, just right click on the link below and select "Save Target As".

You do have to have Microsoft Access to use it, so if you don't, I wouldn't bother wasting the bandwidth. I'm going to try and port it to something a little more generic when it's done but i'm not exactly a hard core code warrior and my kung-foo it weak :wink:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
(there isn't a smilie hiding behind a tree but you will have to imagine)

any chance us mac people can see it Joe?

There I go making it difficult for you again, sorry mate.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Oh dude... Apple.

I have no idea what to do with apple machines... I don't know how to use them, let alone make something cross platform for one :cry:

I'm looking into a runtime version that microsoft provides to people so they can view and use MS Access files without having it installed.

Fingers crossed that they have a Mac or Linux version but i'm not holding out hope.

Sorry mate.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I should be able to get something to read it. There is a free app which lets me view .wmv files on a mac so access should be possible. I've got office for mac I just don't think it includes access.

Thanks for checking it out anyway.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
New version uploaded to the same place if you want it :biggthump

Just delete all the junk I put in there and add your own kit... don't forget things like loo roll :naughty:

Anyway, I've left it completely open so if you want to make any changes to the database or reports to suit your own needs feel free, it's only one table so it's not at all complex.

As before, any / all feedback appreciated.

Joe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Squidders said:
Thanks mate :biggthump

It's just a good excuse for me to have a play really but I'm glad it's useful to at least one person.

Joe

LOL I think a lot of people will use it.
But I have a quick question how do I get the program to generate a list.
I click on arctic and nothing happend?
thanks
abbe

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I spent a few years using Access in the late nineties, it was really developed as a tool for looking at other larger database systems and doesn't lend itself to compatibility with other similar database programs. If you can export your fields as tab-Seperated text then others using alternative platforms would be able to create their own version of your database
Alternatively try exporting as .WKS or DIF files which Macintosh users running Filemaker may be able to import successfully.

Filemaker is a bit pricey however there is a freely downloadable demo available and it's likely that Apple will add a mini version of Filemaker to their iWork package later this year.

Hope this helps all the Mac users out there...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
sandbender said:
I spent a few years using Access in the late nineties, it was really developed as a tool for looking at other larger database systems and doesn't lend itself to compatibility with other similar database programs. If you can export your fields as tab-Seperated text then others using alternative platforms would be able to create their own version of your database
Alternatively try exporting as .WKS or DIF files which Macintosh users running Filemaker may be able to import successfully.

Filemaker is a bit pricey however there is a freely downloadable demo available and it's likely that Apple will add a mini version of Filemaker to their iWork package later this year.

Hope this helps all the Mac users out there...

Cheers sandbender, I have no idea what file formats macs use... The problem isn't in exporting the database, csv or tsv are a doddle, it's exporting the form and reports that are the problem, simply giving people a DB would be a little underwhelming for some. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE