Kit and the like

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
When going through this forum i keep noticing the irony of it all.

Lot's of people view Bushcraft as a way to get closer to nature, learn skills used by our ancestor and embrace the wee man inside that want's to smash stuff with axes and other sharp stuff and burn stuff.

The idea of getting closer to nature but doing it with things like titanium mugs, goretex jackets, clothing that has more research, thought, expertise into it than apollo 11.

We like to think we appreciate nature more and help protect it by not taking greenwood, which on here seems to be worse than murder..

Going out into the woods to feel more connected to the land by hauling in 200 pound worth of gear.

Anyone new to bushcraft might think he needs all that crap but you don't.

A pair of jeans, a t shirt, a couple of jumpers and a jacket plus couple of pairs of socks and boots is all you'll need in winter, you dont need titanium, just get a ss tin, you don't need a 30 pound tarp or a 200 pound sleeping bag or even a 50 pound knife.

We a

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'd disagree with you about jeans, bloody awful, they chafe when wet and take ages to dry.

Much better and cheaper to wear brown cords...

Liam

May 18, 2011
Scotland
Another thing, people who have money who make stupid threads on various forums, this one included plus countless videos everywhere about cheap bushcraft gear for folk with no money, it's bloody offensive.

We are probably the group of people who have the biggest impact on the planet. Just because you only burn dead wood doesn't mean your not causing damage.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Another thing, people who have money who make stupid threads on various forums, this one included plus countless videos everywhere about cheap bushcraft gear for folk with no money, it's bloody offensive.

We are probably the group of people who have the biggest impact on the planet. Just because you only burn dead wood doesn't mean your not causing damage.

I quite like the videos about cheaper gear.. it shows you dont need to spend £100's to have a nice day out in the woods :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's relative, EagleOwl.
An awful lot of folks wear army surplus, and that can be dirt cheap, hardwearing and very suitable to the whole out and about nature of the thing.
Others find other kit more to their taste (budgets) and interests.

Lot of folks appreciate quality though, whether that be in clothing or footwear or tools, and a lot more people appreciate quality, craftsman made stuff :)

And some of us have been doing it for a while and have gone through the whole development from a blanket and a bit fo oilcloth to a down mat :D and have happily adapted :cool: that said, if stuck, we'll every bit as happily use a bed of heather and broom, but given the choice.......:D

Tbh it's what you make of it, no one scorns anyone for their kit, or lack of expensive stuff. Interesting to see what other folks use though :), and, iirc, Rik-uk3 is about the only fellow who'll agree with you about the jeans. Get them wet or damp and that's how they'll stay :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I don't think this is a "what is your take on bushcraft thread" i think is you using the what's new button and thinking that is all there is on the forum, we all like to talk about kit home made or bought, its fun and interesting but there is a monumental wealth of info here on lots of subjects, stick around long enough and youll see the trends that go around, some times hammock talk dominates, other times tracking others making stuff from nothing, I find there are even collective moods here sometimes every thread is happy and light then there's a down ward turn and they all become very dark and either just short and to the point posts or just sad stories, its and odd place to be to try extol the virtues of living in pure harmony when out in the wilds, after all were all sat in front of some kind of computing system so why not talk about kit? oh yeah and I take green wood from lots of woods, its nice to carve if i need to replace a bowl or cup, what's wrong with that?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I don't think this is a "what is your take on bushcraft thread" i think is you using the what's new button and thinking that is all there is on the forum, we all like to talk about kit home made or bought, its fun and interesting but there is a monumental wealth of info here on lots of subjects, stick around long enough and youll see the trends that go around, some times hammock talk dominates, other times tracking others making stuff from nothing, I find there are even collective moods here sometimes every thread is happy and light then there's a down ward turn and they all become very dark and either just short and to the point posts or just sad stories, its and odd place to be to try extol the virtues of living in pure harmony when out in the wilds, after all were all sat in front of some kind of computing system so why not talk about kit? oh yeah and I take green wood from lots of woods, its nice to carve if i need to replace a bowl or cup, what's wrong with that?

Bloody ell Southey, that was nearly poetic! You ain't middle class are ya?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eagle Owl to my certain knowledge a hell of a lot of folks on this forum are on very tight incomes. A lot have very limited mainstream education but are rich in life knowledge. Others have been unemployed for a lot longer than they'd like to be and use the skills and information they've picked up to enrich life even when money is limited.
The age range on the forum is a classic bell curve, peaking somewhere in the late 30's age bracket, and there are more females involved than at first sight :)

*Class* doesn't come into it one whit.

We don't remove memberships, but if you are serious we can freeze yours so that it can't be accessed.
A pm to Admin will do that.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If we didn't talk about kit in one way or the other there'd be nothing to discuss as it's all been done before.

Nice knowing you

so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodnight :sadwavey:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE