Kids kit......advice and help required please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
When I was a kid I always needed a survival tin. Nothing fancy, just an old tobacco or Altoids tin with some matches, cord, wire, ductape, band-aids, safety needles and a "survival ration" (read: some candies).

Besides that I would add to your list a whistle (already mentioned) and a spork or something similar (already mentioned, too) and a small flashlight or cheap headlamp. But as you go out camping I guess they have something like that already.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Figure 8 knot, 4 in 1 knot :) It's a hitch, loop, bend and stopper knot all in one.

Czech Army sleeping bag, £10 and you get a blanket, sheet and bivvy bag all in one.

+1 to this.

Also, cord, various thicknesses and lengths and download some diagrams from wikipedia for a few of the more useful knots.

Here are a few to get started...

Bowline
Clove HitchDouble Fisherman's Knot
Half hitch / Double half hitch / Slipped half hitch
Highwayman's hitch
Jug Knot or Bottle Sling
Klemheist knot
Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
Sheep shank
Sheet Bend
Tautline Hitch
Timber hitch
transom knot
Trucker Hitch

:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could DIY the hammocks if you've got access to a sewing machine, it's dead simple and configurable to what you want. There's load of good info on the net.

Same with tarps really but they need a bit more skill on the machine.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Going to get the wasit Bags above and a first aid kit first...... any recommendations on a small first aid kit and where to get one? thinking of something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23-Piece-...ealth_Beauty_First_Aid_ET&hash=item3381abe4ec

as its small enough to keep the bag and contains a few useful things, its not a full kit tho so may look at something a little more expensive as i don't like cutting costs on first aid

I would suggest making your own first aid kits- bandages, dressings, plasters and wipes are cheap enough from tesco etc and put them in small ziplock packs. Could probably make 3 kits for less than £8...

Also if you want small tarps you could try us isssue ponchos. Lightweight and pack small.

Good luck!
Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Thanks for the info guys we go camping a fair bit so they have the basics i.e. small rucksack, sleeping bag, head torch, whistle, water bottle and folding matt to sit on.

but now they are looking at doing more and more "bushcraft" type things.

the list so far!

Waist pack http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Color-A...=&hash=item20d32edafd&clk_rvr_id=515022832730
Mora knife - got
Firesteel of some kind
tin - Gift from Man of Tanith (thanks)
First aid Kit - Will go for a bought one mainly so i can get the firstaid bag and keep it all together easier
IPK: http://www.johnsonsofleeds.co.uk/shop/product.php?id_product=143
Pad and Pencil - this is a GREAT idea time to find some that i like
KFS folding set - Got
Crusader cup - will get soon
Metal plate / bowl - Will get soon

items to add:
magnifying glass
compass
guides on various knots.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
That's an interesting setup, though you can't see much of the hammock in that picure.

UK Hammocks have an EDC hammock that might be worth considering for kids £15.00 each.

http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article_62/EDC-Hammock.html

For whoopie slings you could go half with someone on 50M of Dyneema here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111624

4m should make a whoopie sling so you'd get the 6 your need from 24 metres

Should have said they have small backpacks already with a sit mat

We use mouse mats for sit pads.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A rucksack is better than a bum bag for them, Tesco 4 person dome tents are about £12 just now, OK for the woods and if the weather turns they will keep dry, don't dampen their spirits at the start.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Rik, they have been camping etc for few years so they are used to being under canvas, the mistake i made was......... at the wilderneses gathering they each took a turn in my gear hammock (ukhammocks EDC) overnight and them going "Can i have my own hammock now" so i've made a rod for my own back really.

The reason i've been thinking of a bumbag type thing is just to add small things to it so they have it all in one place and will get them a rucksack for cloths + hammock and tarp.

Last edited:

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Is a zebra billy can an alternative to a crusader mug?

thats an option Swallow, thinking of more a personal kit for when we go out as a family so could use the mug for hot chocolate etc easier as it has handles for the kids but not 100% sold on this yet may just get them a small billy and a metal cup but its not a rush just have to get three small ish starter kits ready for xmas should be a fun time when we take them camping all in their new hammocks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE