Kids kit......advice and help required please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Well i have three up and comming kids (girl 7, and boys 8 and 10) that are really enjoying time in the woods last week we went camping and they each had a night in a hammock and loved it....... so its time i start to look at getting there own kit and to start with i have bought them each a mora companion in neon orange (well i want to know if they have it on them and less likey to lose it)
mora.jpg

now...... I'm wanting to get them a few things and build their kit up over time but also keep the cost down and give them things that they can build on.

Thinking of a small pack like the Snugpak Response pack (any one know any cheaper ones?) to start with.

will be getting them all the same so no arguments etc, however if there are three different colours it would be easier for packs.

I want to get them to start with in no order this is just a carry kit...... will get on to the tarp + hammocks later

each of them;
1x firesteel
1x metal tin for tinder (will add various tinders to it)
1x metal cup
1x small first aid kit
+ what else should i add?

however where would a good place be to get these? thinking of a crusader type cup as this has alot more uses. If anyone can recommend a place were can i get these it would be great, just want a decent starter kit for the kids.

This kit is going to be part of their Xmas pressie so just need to work out what to get over the next couple of months.

Pete

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I think the 10 litre highlander rucksacks are a good choice for a small pack

magnifying glass
notebook and pencil
KFS set or spork
waterbottles-save you carrying it as well mate
cheap paracord from the pound shop
Collins gem ID books you get them 3 different ones eg trees, wild flowers and mushrooms ,they could share for reference
compass
torch
Fishing kit
SAK with saw
sit mat

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Should have said they have small backpacks already with a sit mat and a water bottle as we and if do a fair amount of walking around forests so they are used to carrying their own bags.

Man of Tanith that is very generous of you if they are spare that would be great ofc I'd want to cover P&P costs.

keep the ideas coming should be a good xmas for the kids, my mum has just offered to get the kids a tarp and hammock each for xmas as long as its not over £50-60 each so will take a look into that as well

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One thing you may like to add is a whistle... just encase you lose view of them... easier the shouting... I know you should always have an eye on the kids I had four all with in five years of age but they do sometimes wonder, lol....

get them to know that when they hear the whistle its means something...

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
oh yeah also have a orange signal whistle for each of them.......... as i did "lose" one once in a forest........ wasn't very popular

Should have said they have small backpacks already with a sit mat and a water bottle as we and if do a fair amount of walking around forests so they are used to carrying their own bags.

Man of Tanith that is very generous of you if they are spare that would be great ofc I'd want to cover P&P costs.

keep the ideas coming should be a good xmas for the kids, my mum has just offered to get the kids a tarp and hammock each for xmas as long as its not over £50-60 each so will take a look into that as well
meh consider it a Christmas perk

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Well i have three up and comming kids (girl 7, and boys 8 and 10) that are really enjoying time in the woods last week we went camping and they each had a night in a hammock and loved it....... so its time i start to look at getting there own kit and to start with i have bought them each a mora companion in neon orange (well i want to know if they have it on them and less likey to lose it)
View attachment 21710

now...... I'm wanting to get them a few things and build their kit up over time but also keep the cost down and give them things that they can build on.

Thinking of a small pack like the Snugpak Response pack (any one know any cheaper ones?) to start with.

will be getting them all the same so no arguments etc, however if there are three different colours it would be easier for packs.

I want to get them to start with in no order this is just a carry kit...... will get on to the tarp + hammocks later

each of them;
1x firesteel
1x metal tin for tinder (will add various tinders to it)
1x metal cup
1x small first aid kit
+ what else should i add?

however where would a good place be to get these? thinking of a crusader type cup as this has alot more uses. If anyone can recommend a place were can i get these it would be great, just want a decent starter kit for the kids.

This kit is going to be part of their Xmas pressie so just need to work out what to get over the next couple of months.

Pete
Hi Cade
this might be an option for your Snugpak.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Color-Airsoft-Tactical-MOLLE-Utility-3-Ways-Waist-Pouch-Bag-Pack-Black-TAN-B-
/140982016765?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&var=&hash=item20d32edafd

A quick search on the bay for Airsoft brings up loads.
Bob

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Another thing you might consider is getting them an IPK each, all three bought and delivered for less than £20, and they get a load of strong cordage, six very strong ally pegs and a big and very goog w'proof groundsheet each - a big useful bang for not many bucks.......................atb mac

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I'd get them a first aid kit each to be fair mate that way if separated they have there own to cover most minor scrapes .
Also I'd grab them a smallish tarp , and as said cheap guideline .
Camo face paints for giggles .
A whistle as already said .
possibly a small geo-cache between them .
And some glow sticks .
Or add this http://www.battleboxcompany.co.uk/p...ate/the-great-british-soldiers-kit-(ultimate)
Have fun !

Last edited:

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Another thing you might consider is getting them an IPK each, all three bought and delivered for less than £20, and they get a load of strong cordage, six very strong ally pegs and a big and very goog w'proof groundsheet each - a big useful bang for not many bucks.......................atb mac

sorry.. what what is a IPK?

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Going to get the wasit Bags above and a first aid kit first...... any recommendations on a small first aid kit and where to get one? thinking of something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23-Piece-...ealth_Beauty_First_Aid_ET&hash=item3381abe4ec

as its small enough to keep the bag and contains a few useful things, its not a full kit tho so may look at something a little more expensive as i don't like cutting costs on first aid

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...notebook and pencil..."

+1 to this.

Also, cord, various thicknesses and lengths and download some diagrams from wikipedia for a few of the more useful knots.

Here are a few to get started...

Bowline
Clove HitchDouble Fisherman's Knot
Half hitch / Double half hitch / Slipped half hitch
Highwayman's hitch
Jug Knot or Bottle Sling
Klemheist knot
Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
Sheep shank
Sheet Bend
Tautline Hitch
Timber hitch
transom knot
Trucker Hitch

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE